Karoq Day One - First Impressions

Woody37

10 minutes ago, Nicky_P said:

We're  on the verge of buying our first Skoda and I have already had interesting reactions from family, friends and work colleagues.

Haha, ditto. The Karoq is my first Skoda (currently a Honda Civic, so not coming from a fancy car or anything!) and everyone's reaction was "..a Skoda?! Really?". Until they saw the spec and price, then they all understood!

9 hours ago, Orville said:

The Karoq is deliberately bland. Far fewer people would buy an Alteca, Q3, Tiguan, or T-roc if the Skoda looked better and came with more kit for less money.

Is the Karoq bland? I don't think so. The Alteca looks basic and dated to me by comparison and nor did I want the bone-crushng ride.

Equipment wise, even the SE comes with Cruise, dual-zone Climate, Automatic Lights, 9" screen, Bluetooth, etc, etc. I think it's fantastic.

The quality of a modern Skoda is obvious from the outside and anyone who sits in the Karoq (and Yeti before) can't believe how nice and solid it is. I have an Audi A3 Sportsback too and there is no discernable difference.

To me, Skoda is a quality brand at a mainstream price.

8 hours ago, Woody37 said:

Is the Karoq bland? I don't think so. The Alteca looks basic and dated to me by comparison and nor did I want the bone-crushng ride.

Equipment wise, even the SE comes with Cruise, dual-zone Climate, Automatic Lights, 9" screen, Bluetooth, etc, etc. I think it's fantastic.

The quality of a modern Skoda is obvious from the outside and anyone who sits in the Karoq (and Yeti before) can't believe how nice and solid it is. I have an Audi A3 Sportsback too and there is no discernable difference.

To me, Skoda is a quality brand at a mainstream price.

Picked my 1.5tsi SE L up yesterday, very happy with how it drives and how it looks - great quality at a good price

20180112_093454.thumb.jpg.355b27a6507269167cd5b63b9235245a.jpg20180112_093509.thumb.jpg.d55fb90cccd013c8fe94b2070da8a711.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, London_Jock said:

Is that the cappucino?

Yes it is - thankfully not too beige! Looks more of a tungsten shade to me, but looks great in the metal. Haven't had a chance to see it in the sun yet, to see what it looks like then.

Tried a 1.5tsi KAROQ SE (L I think) manual today as part of Skoda's launch, pretty impressive. My opinions thus far for what it's worth:-

• Engine was smooth, quiet and pulled well even at low revs - although somehow very slightly hesitant when you floored the throttle. Probably because it only had 125 miles on the clock
  • Driving position and seats seemed excellent even for my ample frame
  • After the reviews I thought the rear leg-room was going to be a bit more than it is although the flexible rear seats are very comfortable- especially when reclined a bit!
  • Boot space is much bigger than a Yeti and although nowhere neer as deep as my Superb (which you'd expect) however the space is very high (tested with the bigjohn standard set of suitcases). However watch out for the spare wheel options. The steel wheel robs quite a few inches of boot height and the full size wheel presumably robs even more. There is only a very shallow wheel well
  • Slightly noisier that my Superb  - but not so much in it. eg a tiny bit more wind noise at 70mph and you can still hear the engine at tick-over (which I can't in my tsi Superb II). Quiet on the move though
  • Suspension. Even though this was the 2wd fitted with torsion beam rear suspension the handling was good and the ride was  really really good. Reminded me of the fantastic ride of my previous Superb I but with much better handling ! (During the test drive I drove the Karoq down a particularly bumpy road that is horrible in a car with a hard ride)
  • Slight financial problem for me - my wife wants a cd player in the car, need the Canton upgrade to achieve that

Overall one to seriously consider for Mr & Mrs Bigjohn, not quite sure when though..

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

My tuppance worth - was absolutely on the fence between ordering a Karoq and a Superb. Took a Karoq 1.5 SEL out for a 20 minute test drive today, and ordered a Superb as soon as the drive finished.

The comfort and refinement of the Superb is leagues ahead, in my opinion. The Karoq is a perfectly good car it's just the the Superb is, well, superb.

Edited by kirku

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

. The Karoq is a perfectly good car, it's just the the Superb is, well, superb.

I love the Superb be it mkI, mkII or mkIII and would love to buy a mkIII but although MRS BJ loves the comfort / refinment  on long trips through Europe she is less keen on driving it due to it's size.  When I retire in a low number of years we'll probably drop back to running one car so I need a compromise that is still very competant.

The 1.5tsi I drove today was extremely comfortable and refined (not quite as refined as the  Superb) and compared to my MKII Superb I thought the ride was a bit better!  Slighty underwhelmed by the rear leg room as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Orville said:

The Karoq is deliberately bland. Far fewer people would buy an Alteca, Q3, Tiguan, or T-roc if the Skoda looked better and came with more kit for less money.

i would reverse that statement, the Karoq might look expensive bu the kit you get is very good, value for money

i have looked at Ateca and Tiguan which just kept in rising for every Karoq like option been added, i was at £32!

13 minutes ago, vadimo said:

i would reverse that statement, the Karoq might look expensive bu the kit you get is very good, value for money

i have looked at Ateca and Tiguan which just kept in rising for every Karoq like option been added, i was at £32!

You're misinterpreting my comment - or perhaps I should have been clearer? What I meant to say was "Far fewer people would buy an Alteca, Q3, Tiguan, or T-roc if the Skoda looked better, AND came with more kit for less money".  I know the Karoq has more kit for the price - that's why I have one on order:biggrin:.

• Like 1

That was how I understood your post, wouldn't have made any sense otherwise.

Lookswise, I've been quite critical of the Karoq on other threads. I think it is pretty bland, particularly the front and like that of the Ateca more.  But in the right colour it looks OK and as said as an overall package it is very good.

If it was our only car I'd probably be looking at something else and am considering a Tiguan as well. Karoq is still looking favourite at the moment though and I'm not that worried by the blandness as our other car is very unbland! 

Edited by VAGCF

On 12/01/2018 at 06:56, Nicky_P said:

Personally I think the Karoq is very well equippd for the money in comparison to a Tiguan.

Also, I think the another key issue that prevents the VW and Audi owners buying a Skoda is the name, no matter what styling and kit people out there won't overcome brand snobbery.

We're  on the verge of buying our first Skoda and I have already had interesting reactions from family, friends and work colleagues.

I will totally agree with you on the badge snobbery. I seen friends, buy an Audi or VW pay a lot more money for a car with lower spec, compared with a Skoda. Just mention Skoda, they turn there noses up. With a Skoda, you get more bang for your buck.

After owning several Skoda’s over the past 12 yrs. IMO, Skoda’s over the years styling is more pleasant to the eye, compared to the other makes of cars within the VW group. Before owning Skoda’s, I have owned VW’s, Audi and Seat’s.

Edited by Scuba Steve 827

11 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I love the Superb be it mkI, mkII or mkIII and would love to buy a mkIII but although MRS BJ loves the comfort / refinment  on long trips through Europe she is less keen on driving it due to it's size.  When I retire in a low number of years we'll probably drop back to running one car so I need a compromise that is still very competant.

The 1.5tsi I drove today was extremely comfortable and refined (not quite as refined as the  Superb) and compared to my MKII Superb I thought the ride was a bit better!  Slighty underwhelmed by the rear leg room as well.

Probably in the same boat with the other half, although with all the assists in place - it should be a doddle.

The Superb III punches above its weight on the refinement front, the Karoq is still good for the price.

14 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Tried a 1.5tsi KAROQ SE (L I think) manual today as part of Skoda's launch, pretty impressive. My opinions thus far for what it's worth:-

• Engine was smooth, quiet and pulled well even at low revs - although somehow very slightly hesitant when you floored the throttle. Probably because it only had 125 miles on the clock
  • Driving position and seats seemed excellent even for my ample frame
  • After the reviews I thought the rear leg-room was going to be a bit more than it is although the flexible rear seats are very comfortable- especially when reclined a bit!
  • Boot space is much bigger than a Yeti and although nowhere need as deep as my Superb (which you'd expect) however the space is very high (tested with the bigjohn standard set of suitcases). However watch out for the spare wheel options. The space-saver robs quite a few inches of boot height and the full size steel shell robs even more. There is only a very shallow wheel well
  • Slightly noisier that my Superb  - but not so much in it. eg a tiny bit more wind noise at 70mph and you can still hear the engine at tick-over (which I can't in my tsi Superb II). Quiet on the move though
  • Suspension. Even though this was the 2wd fitted with torsion beam rear suspension the handling was good and the ride was  really really good. Reminded me of the fantastic ride of my previous Superb I but with much better handling ! (During the test drive I drove the Karoq down a particularly bumpy road that is horrible in a car with a hard ride)
  • Slight financial problem for me - my wife wants a cd player in the car, need the Canton upgrade to achieve that

Overall one to seriously consider for Mr & Mrs Bigjohn, not quite sure when though..

A optional extra is the Columbus Sav Nav system comes with CD player, x2 SD card slots and SIM card slot. Another option is an Edition, Columbus comes as standard fit. 

39 minutes ago, Scuba Steve 827 said:

A optional extra is the Columbus Sav Nav system comes with CD player, x2 SD card slots and SIM card slot. Another option is an Edition, Columbus comes as standard fit. 

Ah interesting - Is that the same as the Satnav that is included with the SE Technology model?

[EDIT[ Looks like satnav with se technology iis:-

• Amundsen satellite navigation with eight-inch touchscreen
Edited by bigjohn

11 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Ah interesting - Is that the same as the Satnav that is included with the SE Technology model?

The SE Tech that I drove, didn’t have the Columbus fitted. Quick check the Columbus, has all the touch controls on the L/H side only.

22 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Slight financial problem for me - my wife wants a cd player in the car, need the Canton upgrade to achieve that

I've loaded all the CDs I had in my old car onto a £20 SD card - the sound quality is just as good, and no CD storage problem!

9 hours ago, Scuba Steve 827 said:

I will totally agree with you on the badge snobbery. I seen friends, buy an Audi or VW pay a lot more money for a car with lower spec, compared with a Skoda. Just mention Skoda, they turn there noses up. With a Skoda, you get more bang for your buck.

After owning several Skoda’s over the past 12 yrs. IMO, Skoda’s over the years styling is more pleasant to the eye, compared to the other makes of cars within the VW group. Before owning Skoda’s, I have owned VW’s, Audi and Seat’s.

This is one reason that it will be interesting to see if the decision to drop the Yeti and replace it with the Karoq will be a success for Skoda.

Obviously the less Marmite design of the Karoq is so that it will hopefully appeal to a wider customer base, including younger families etc. who are buying Qashqais and Sportages etc. and whilst those aren't premium brands and colleagues at work have them they still react somewhat negatively when Skoda is mentioned.

To be honest though it's only in recent years that Skoda have really come on as regards quality. I've had VWs and Audis in the past and when hiring Skodas when away the difference in quality etc. was very noticeable. Not the case though now generally though my A6 estate was leagues ahead of the Yeti but in price as well! 

1 hour ago, bone_tone said:

I've loaded all the CDs I had in my old car onto a £20 SD card - the sound quality is just as good, and no CD storage problem!

My wife is a fully paid up member of the Luddite society

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

This is one reason that it will be interesting to see if the decision to drop the Yeti and replace it with the Karoq will be a success for Skoda.

Obviously the less Marmite design of the Karoq is so that it will hopefully appeal to a wider customer base, including younger families etc. who are buying Qashqais and Sportages etc. and whilst those aren't premium brands and colleagues at work have them they still react somewhat negatively when Skoda is mentioned.

To be honest though it's only in recent years that Skoda have really come on as regards quality. I've had VWs and Audis in the past and when hiring Skodas when away the difference in quality etc. was very noticeable. Not the case though now generally though my A6 estate was leagues ahead of the Yeti but in price as well! 

The Yeti isn’t in the same class has the Audi A6, completely difference class.

When the Yeti was release, it was completely style normally associated with Skoda. Really boils down to the image, under the skin of a n Audi, Skoda, Seat, VW. They all share same the floor pans, running gear, electrics, technology, the only difference is the body and badge.

VW owns all the brands of Audi, Bentley, Porsche, Seat, Skoda and some other brands as well.

Scuba Steve - yes, I think that I alluded to the A6 being in a completely different class to the Yeti. A Superb would be really close though wouldn't it, only needs a badge change. I wonder now why I ever wasted my money on an A6 as even the Yeti feels really good, so a Superb would have been a better choice.

And thanks for that other info. Didn't know much of that, though I sort of new that Skoda were something to do with VW. But Bentley and Porsche, blimey who would have thought!

Saw a nice looking lady in a lay-by on the way to work in a Bentley convertible. Wonder if she knows and what she'd think if she knew her car had Skoda DNA! I wouldn't have one because of that, it sort of devalues the brand. I'd have to go for a manufacturer that doesn't make cheap cars as well. 

3 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Scuba Steve - yes, I think that I alluded to the A6 being in a completely different class to the Yeti. A Superb would be really close though wouldn't it, only needs a badge change. I wonder now why I ever wasted my money on an A6 as even the Yeti feels really good, so a Superb would have been a better choice.

And thanks for that other info. Didn't know much of that, though I sort of new that Skoda were something to do with VW. But Bentley and Porsche, blimey who would have thought!

Saw a nice looking lady in a lay-by on the way to work in a Bentley convertible. Wonder if she knows and what she'd think if she knew her car had Skoda DNA! I wouldn't have one because of that, it sort of devalues the brand. I'd have to go for a manufacturer that doesn't make cheap cars as well. 

crazy thing is Bentley is based on VW Beetle platform

i also think its unfair to compare luxury large class saloon with mid-size SUV

Oh dear.

I saw my first Karoq yesterday at my local dealers.

A dark grey 150 tsi and every thing else was black.

They'd placed it next to a new silver Yeti 150 tdi which looked modern and sharply styled.

The Karoq looked bloated and boring by comparison.( only my opinion I know.)

Curiously the Karoq was marked up cheaper than the Yeti.

25K and 26K for the Yeti.

I suspect that my next car will be a nice pre-facelift 170 elegance.( like my first one.:blush:)

• 2 weeks later...