Tyre size change

Juego

I hit a pot hole on Saturday morning and it burst my tyre! It got me thinking that 225/40/18 for my use isn't any good as it's used as a taxi, also made me think 225/45/18 would be better for my use! Would it be ok to change to that size or is it a bad idea? I know the arches will take it but thought I'd ask the opinion of other owners lol

Seeing as you are using yur car to make a living, I'd switch from 18's to 16's as suggested by Lymington.

While they are not as good looking as the larger, wider size wheels, you do get a better ride and pothole resistance, cheaper tyres when they have to be replaced and usually better fuel economy. 

As for different size 18's - I'll let the guys who may have tried that give real advice - I've not used larger than 17's.

• Like 2

225/45/R18 and 225/50/R18 will fit but they are not type-approved sizes for the Superb so you would need to check with your insurer if they are ok with the fitment. You will also have to live with a speedometer and odometer error as the rolling radius will have changed. From my own research these sizes are a lot more expensive than the 225/40 too.

The speedometer can be configured with VCDS to work with 235/45/R18 but there are a few caveats. Firstly, that section width is too large for the stock rims so you would need to buy new rims as well. Secondly it's also not a type-approved fitment for the Superb, so you're back to having to check with your insurer.

If you don't care about appearance (IMO 16s look lost inside the wheelarches), 205/55/R16 94V is a type-approved fitment. For a compromise between appearance and comfort, 225/45/R17 94W is also type-approved.

• Like 1

We get this same in the Yeti Section. 

Tyre size not Type Approved by Skoda. VW, SEAT, Audi.  

The size increase on the tyres usually has an accurate speedo / milometer, and the Police Scotland do Taxi Meter checks, and Vehicle Checks.

Tyres / Wheels type approved anyway, the Emissions Defeat Device was not. Cars still have valid insurance with No Fix, or With The Fix.

Air Suspension / Bags was not Tyre Approved, or the 'Emergency Services Suspension' Skoda fit to Fleet / Emergency Services Vehicles.

Just tell your Business Insurer the Size of tyres on the Taxi in writing.

The MOT / DVSA / Police Examiner will be happy with the Speed & Load Ratings and legal tread.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

We get this same in the Yeti Section. 

Tyre size not Type Approved by Skoda. VW, SEAT, Audi.  

The size increase on the tyres usually has an accurate speedo / milometer, and the Police Scotland do Taxi Meter checks, and Vehicle Checks.

There's a programmed discrepancy between odometer and speedometer on all VAG cars (and probably most brands' cars): if one is right the other one will be wrong.

• Like 2

Taxi meters need to read miles with an accurate distance luckily. 

People are paying good money to travel, and what is nice with UBER is that distance travelled is also measured accurately.

• Like 1

My Octavia had 225/45/17 tyres and they were fine. Don't really wanna change down to 16s either lol. I don't run a meter either so don't have the worry about that lol.

This timeout thing keeps crashing phone!

Edited by Juego

The 205 16's are much more comfortable, cheaper to run and buy, you'll get more economy. Buy a set of 16's and put your nice low profiles in the garage until your sell the car

Edited by terrytowelling
  • Like 4

I run 17's (a nice balance between 16's and 18's for those who care about aesthetics) but with larger tyres.

As mentioned above be aware of insurance complications.

I'm almost pothole proof :-)

IMG_8305.thumb.JPG.819b2e6785d32ecf40baee29b20ad5a6.JPG

IMG_8312.thumb.JPG.7eb81dda6a0c946f604b481d0dd2c3f2.JPG

• Like 1

225/50R17 is a good alternative for 205/55R16, but with many disadvantages:

1. Fuel consumption is higher
  2. There not a default size for an S2.
  3. Rims are more expensive
  4. Tyres are much more expensive
  5. Milage meter (is that how you call it in the UK?) will underread, so not good if you're a taxi driver!
  6. No space left for snow chains.

However, there are also advantages:

1. Better looking.
  2. Deviation of speedo is reduced to about 0.
Edited by andrehj

Not many fare paying customers getting in a Taxi are really bothered at the size or look of the wheels are they, 

the driver not hitting potholes or not puncturing is likely more important.

As to wheels / tyres, tools of the trade.

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:46, chimaera said:

225/45/R18 and 225/50/R18 will fit but they are not ty......

The ....... erb, so you're back to having to check with your insurer.

If you don't care about appearance (IMO 16s look lost inside the wheelarches), 205/55/R16 94V is a type-approved fitment. For a compromise...

I have fitted VW Road America 16" as winter wheels. They have an ET of 37 which makes them sit very nicely and flush with the wheel arches. I had a skoda 16" set with an ET of 45 before and I hated the disappearing-in-the-wheel-arches look.

• 1 month later...

I've just changed the wheels on my Superb to 17" and I'm really pleased.  I was spending all the time avoiding potholes as they would jar the car and feel like something was going to break.  The 225/45/17s are so much better, ride quality is much smoother and I don't need to worry so much about road imperfections.

I don't really see the necessity to go to 16",  the reduction from 18" to 17" is all you need to improve things.  On top of that LV didn't quibble at all about the insurance - just accepted it as a no-charge change.

• Like 1