Sound Deadening - anyone added some?

5 minutes ago, marko said:

I used Silent Coat, bought the bulk pack as it worked out very reasonable and have enough left to do rest of car.

Thanks, I'm most likely going down the same route. Was it the 2mm rather than the 4mm? 4mm is extra and wondering if the extra thickness is unnecessary.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

Thanks, I'm most likely going down the same route. Was it the 2mm rather than the 4mm? 4mm is extra and wondering if the extra thickness is unnecessary.

2mm, paid £72 inc post so was a good price at  the  Sound Deadening Shop, should have been £80 but got 10% off at the time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim1631 said:

Is this thread about tyres now? ;)

Ha good point, however very relevant to what I'm trying to achieve here. A change of tyre choice could potentially have a bigger effect on road noise than sound deadening, so all relevant tyre input also appreciated B)

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Ha good point, however very relevant to what I'm trying to achieve here. A change of tyre choice could potentially have a bigger effect on road noise than sound deadening, so all relevant tyre input also appreciated B)

what is the major/main source of road noise inside the cabin.... 

I can honestly say i've never driven a noisier car, for me 100% caused by tyres, i dont notice it on rougher surfaces but on smooth its worse than the sound generator and becomes very distracting.  

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

what is the major/main source of road noise inside the cabin.... 

I can honestly say i've never driven a noisier car, for me 100% caused by tyres, i dont notice it on rougher surfaces but on smooth its worse than the sound generator and becomes very distracting.  

That's odd, would have expected it to be the other way around.

It's been irritating me this week as I've been on lates and driving home without any music on. The motorway I use has recently been resurfaced so the smooth bits are very quiet but there are still a few bits that aren't resurfaced and the noise becomes very noticeable on those bits in comparison.

11 minutes ago, ahenners said:

That's odd, would have expected it to be the other way around.

It's been irritating me this week as I've been on lates and driving home without any music on. The motorway I use has recently been resurfaced so the smooth bits are very quiet but there are still a few bits that aren't resurfaced and the noise becomes very noticeable on those bits in comparison.

i know i don't understand it but on smoother surface there is a resonance from the tyres that's almost reinforced to a pulsing drone. I'll try to record it on the way home this evening. I guess that why i would like to invite ideas as to what would be a quieter tyre without sacrificing to much wear?

I've applied some 2mm silentcoat and a layer of mass loaded vinyl to the boot area. I also did the same to the front footwells, but I think the boot made a more noticeable difference.

Tyres next i think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

on smoother surface there is a resonance from the tyres that's almost reinforced to a pulsing drone

Google "tyre sawtoothing" and see if your tyres are doing that, it is quite easy to see. Some tyres more prone. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ahenners said:

I am going to swap the rear tyres for some quieter ones (F1 AS3 instead of Conti CS5) in the next few months which I'm hoping will help too.

Definitely helps. Went from the Pirelli P-Zeros to F1 AS3s in December (rears only); even on the hatch it makes a difference - moved from 225/35 to 235/35 too!

I also had good results packing the boot sides with the car EDC kit (1st aid, tools, wipes etc.) which minimises some of the rear wheel-well noise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ads230 said:

Definitely helps. Went from the Pirelli P-Zeros to F1 AS3s in December (rears only); even on the hatch it makes a difference - moved from 225/35 to 235/35 too!

I also had good results packing the boot sides with the car EDC kit (1st aid, tools, wipes etc.) which minimises some of the rear wheel-well noise.

Thanks useful! I have Canton sub on one side so can't load that up, but the other side is loaded with similar bits. Hopefully packing some sound deadening around the sub and boot area will improve the bass too B)

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2018 at 08:14, andyh41 said:

I've applied some 2mm silentcoat and a layer of mass loaded vinyl to the boot area. I also did the same to the front footwells, but I think the boot made a more noticeable difference.

Tyres next i think.

Morning Andy, 

ive just found this post. I’ve started one similar about noise from Octavia. With the silent coat (2mm) you installed. Did this need sound absorption material as well or just fitted this under the carpets . I’ve a 1.6 Diesel se business hatch (16 plate). Which I find as excessive road noise on all but the smoothest of tarmac. 

Gents. I spent about an hour this week lining 70% of my boot well area and a little under the rear seat base with this: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack

I also have a rubber carpet protector in the boot. I am really pleased with the improvement. It isn't a transformation as such, but well worth the money and a doddle to fit. I have a few sheets left, so may try and fit a couple at the front somewhere around the bulkhead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coloneldolomite said:

Gents. I spent about an hour this week lining 70% of my boot well area and a little under the rear seat base with this: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack

I also have a rubber carpet protector in the boot. I am really pleased with the improvement. It isn't a transformation as such, but well worth the money and a doddle to fit. I have a few sheets left, so may try and fit a couple at the front somewhere around the bulkhead.

Thanks for updating, that's exactly the stuff I've been looking at and plan to do. Good to hear there is a noticeable improvement and it's not money wasted B)

Good morning! 

Brilliant. Think I will be making a visit my local shop the weekend . Car is at the skoda dealer today. Some type of software update. So make order the rubber boot liner while it’s in. Quick question with the silent coat. Is this a all in one deadening and absorption mat? Also did you do the wheel arches? 

Hi wellsy1. I can't remember in the details if it deadens the sound or absorbs it? Either way, I remember the chap telling me it somehow converts the energy from sound into heat energy. The Sound Deadening shop were very helpful.

I didn't do the wheelarches to be honest, mainly due to not wanting to strip out the carpet and trim too much, however you could probably tuck a sheet or two between quite easily without moving too much trim. I don't think it is a massive job, something I may do another time. I just removed the spare wheel and applied a few sheets here along with around the floor area which is body colour.

As I say, it isn't lifechanging, just a slight improvement on overall refinement.

Good luck with the project.

2 hours ago, wellsy1 said:

Morning Andy, 

ive just found this post. I’ve started one similar about noise from Octavia. With the silent coat (2mm) you installed. Did this need sound absorption material as well or just fitted this under the carpets . I’ve a 1.6 Diesel se business hatch (16 plate). Which I find as excessive road noise on all but the smoothest of tarmac. 

Hi wellsy. I've done a few bits of deadening so far (a fair bit more than I mentioned in the first post). Generally, yes, I think you're supposed to add some ccf on top of the silentcoat for best effect, but take a look at the deadening website for more information https://www.deadening.co.uk/pages/advice

What I have done (so far):

In the boot I added some 2mm silentcoat to the metal, then on top of the original floor I have a bit of left over carpet underlay followed by some mass loaded vinyl (https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-barrier-mlv-2-5m-roll) and then the rubber boot mat. From memory this helped quite a bit, with the MLV probably having the biggest effect.

Around the sides of the boot I added 2mm silentcoat again and then a layer of MLV sandwiched between acoustic foam (similar to this stuff https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-sound-stopper-lite).

In the front footwells I put down 2mm silentcoat, followed by dodo liner (https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-liner-ccf9)  followed by MLV.

And finally the front doors have 2mm silentcoat + dodo liner and a bit of eggbox style absorber foam behind the speakers.

This was all done over quite a few months and every time I added something I think it helped a bit. As I recall the most noticeable effect came from adding the MLV in the boot.

However I still think it's too noisy! But I know a lot of that comes from the Bridgestones at the front, so pretty soon i'll be looking to get those replaced by something quieter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it gets addictive after a while :blink:

47 minutes ago, andyh41 said:

Hi wellsy. I've done a few bits of deadening so far (a fair bit more than I mentioned in the first post). Generally, yes, I think you're supposed to add some ccf on top of the silentcoat for best effect, but take a look at the deadening website for more information https://www.deadening.co.uk/pages/advice

What I have done (so far):

In the boot I added some 2mm silentcoat to the metal, then on top of the original floor I have a bit of left over carpet underlay followed by some mass loaded vinyl (https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-barrier-mlv-2-5m-roll) and then the rubber boot mat. From memory this helped quite a bit, with the MLV probably having the biggest effect.

Around the sides of the boot I added 2mm silentcoat again and then a layer of MLV sandwiched between acoustic foam (similar to this stuff https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-sound-stopper-lite).

In the front footwells I put down 2mm silentcoat, followed by dodo liner (https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/dodo-liner-ccf9)  followed by MLV.

And finally the front doors have 2mm silentcoat + dodo liner and a bit of eggbox style absorber foam behind the speakers.

This was all done over quite a few months and every time I added something I think it helped a bit. As I recall the most noticeable effect came from adding the MLV in the boot.

However I still think it's too noisy! But I know a lot of that comes from the Bridgestones at the front, so pretty soon i'll be looking to get those replaced by something quieter.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it gets addictive after a while :blink:

Hi Andy

thank! I’ll start my work soon on the car. I think it’s the only thing that lets thecar down. Driving on the m6, the slightest change in road surface seems to make the car sound like the door is open, with how loud the road noise seems. Not sure if you have noticed, but some times, it sounds a lot quieter. Made me wonder if a rubber grommet between cabin and engine bay was loose. So sometimes moving and allowing noise in behind the dash. When I brought the car, the alarm led was missing from the drivers door card. Just having that replaced, and blocking the smalll hole to the inner door made a difference.

1 hour ago, coloneldolomite said:

Hi wellsy1. I can't remember in the details if it deadens the sound or absorbs it? Either way, I remember the chap telling me it somehow converts the energy from sound into heat energy. The Sound Deadening shop were very helpful.

I didn't do the wheelarches to be honest, mainly due to not wanting to strip out the carpet and trim too much, however you could probably tuck a sheet or two between quite easily without moving too much trim. I don't think it is a massive job, something I may do another time. I just removed the spare wheel and applied a few sheets here along with around the floor area which is body colour.

As I say, it isn't lifechanging, just a slight improvement on overall refinement.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for all your help. I think if I could turn the roar, into a rumble will be a massive improvement. I think we can get paranoid about it so guess we can amplify the sounds as we listen out for them. I think it comes more from the front, but I’ll just slowly work from back to front.

when I complete a section, I’ll take photos and report . 

I have a superb sportline just now as a courtesy car, while my VRS is in for a service and very refined it is too.

However, in terms of tyre noise its noticeable, possibly due to the 19 inch wheels.

My VRS has Michelin Cross Climates which are only 69db. 

Skoda suffer from a lack of soundproofing which lets tyre noise through, so better to check noise levels before buying new tyres.

Interesting the Superb boot floor has hardly any soundproofing- just 3 small pieces of thin bitumen stuck to the wheel well.

@coloneldolomite It did cross my mind that adding some soundproofing to the wheel arches could make a difference, but I didn't fancy tackling that. Would be interesting to hear how that goes if you decide to do it. 

@wellsy1 Whenever I've been a passenger in the car it always sounds quieter than when i'm driving - so maybe a lot of the noise does come through the drivers side bulkhead?

@carrock It does seem odd that other cars can be noticeably quieter but have little obvious soundproofing. My wife's Fiesta isn't bad at all for noise, but there is bugger all insulation and the bodywork sounds like it is wafer thin. The skinny tyres probably help a lot though.

I wonder how much of the noise is transmitted through the running gear/bodywork and isn't just airborne? 

5 hours ago, coloneldolomite said:

I was thinking of removing the inner wing liners and applying some silentcoat to the inner arch area behind the roadwheels - any thoughts?

I think this is done on more expensive cars such as lexus, i have seen a post some where of a lexus with the bumper off and it has sound proofing there.

1 hour ago, Alpha2110 said:

I think this is done on more expensive cars such as lexus, i have seen a post some where of a lexus with the bumper off and it has sound proofing there.

1 hour ago, Alpha2110 said:

1 hour ago, andyh41 said:

@coloneldolomite It did cross my mind that adding some soundproofing to the wheel arches could make a difference, but I didn't fancy tackling that. Would be interesting to hear how that goes if you decide to do it. 

@wellsy1 Whenever I've been a passenger in the car it always sounds quieter than when i'm driving - so maybe a lot of the noise does come through the drivers side bulkhead?

@carrock It does seem odd that other cars can be noticeably quieter but have little obvious soundproofing. My wife's Fiesta isn't bad at all for noise, but there is bugger all insulation and the bodywork sounds like it is wafer thin. The skinny tyres probably help a lot though.

I wonder how much of the noise is transmitted through the running gear/bodywork and isn't just airborne? 

I think when I remove the front carpet, I’ll see how much sound proof I can get on the bulk head. Also look for any small service holes that haven’t been blocked. For me, I think the chassis, being light weight does transmit a lot of sound at a certain resonance. Like I said, sometimes it seems quiet, but then it sounds like the door is open. Like the vibrations on certain tarmac triggers the noise to be amplified. However this should be fixable. If we could find this panel. Then mass load the panel I think will change the resonance. 

Try doing the door. I've dismantled a Mercedes door in the past (W203), the amount of sound deadening they put inside the door is ridiculous. There was a heavy vinyl matt covering the metal frame and the door skin itself was almost inert. Pretty sure there was some sort of sound deadening on the outside door frame too, closed with a thud instead of a bang. As a comparison, try knocking the door skin in our Skoda, you can tell that they haven't bother with anything on there. The glass for the side windows is also thinner in the Skoda.

Then again if we load our cars up with bagfulls of soundproofing and  insulation and pretty bits we are going to lose the briskness we all love?

Ask yourself is every extra ounce of weight worth it?

All the race boys are busy spending  cash to make everything lighter.

I'm split between luxury and performance myself. Do I need it i ask when looking at all the add ons.