Radio has no reception

I just bought a 2013 skoda vrs Diesel. And noticed the radio has no reception just the noise when no signal. Cd works and blue tooth. When I said to the fella radio has no reception he said they got it disconnected because of there religion. But I removed radio today and it’s connected. Anyone any ideas what would be wrong or where the other end of the Ariel is until I check that. Thanks 

Mine went like this and it was the connection behind the CD player to the antenna, but you say yours is connected. The antenna is in the rear window (right hand side) but the module is under the boot side trim on that side. If you have VCDS you can see if there is a signal on the channel or not.

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Mine went like this and it was the connection behind the CD player to the antenna, but you say yours is connected. The antenna is in the rear window (right hand side) but the module is under the boot side trim on that side. If you have VCDS you can see if there is a signal on the channel or not.

interesting thanks! must do some research on where to look.

2 hours ago, Dk555 said:

I just bought a 2013 skoda vrs Diesel. And noticed the radio has no reception just the noise when no signal. Cd works and blue tooth. When I said to the fella radio has no reception he said they got it disconnected because of there religion. But I removed radio today and it’s connected. Anyone any ideas what would be wrong or where the other end of the Ariel is until I check that. Thanks 

perhaps they put a curse on it. voodoo?

8 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

interesting thanks! must do some research on where to look.

I don’t know where to look though sadly. I got lucky when picking up the Citigo from its first service and mentioned the radio had gone wonky on the Octy so I booked it in to be looked at that afternoon. The service manager had sent everyone home at 2 o’clock as there was no booked in jobs (he forgot me!) so he took it to the workshop himself and plugged it in for free to check the radio. He said there was no signal from the radio antenna picked up on VCDS so it was either a duff antenna (which is about £45 as I ordered one stupidly before checking the connections on the back of the stereo myself and when it arrived I checked the box and it wasn’t the shark fin they sent, it was the correct antenna, so it should be £45) or a wiring issue but in 99% of cases it was the antenna at fault. Mine was a loose cable haha

Edited by SashaGrace
  • Like 1

I had a lengthy thread running about DAB reception issues a couple of years ago in here - pretty sure I put some screenshots of how the wiring runs in that thread.

There are actually 4 antennas - if you have nothing on DAB, FM and AM then they all use separate aerials - 1 for DAB, 2 for FM and 1 for AM - there are 2 each side on the estate. There is also a signal amplifier behind the C-pillar trim on each side, and if I remember correctly there is a joint in the antenna cables in the passenger footwell side trim - it isn't a single cable all the way from the rear of the HU to the aerials. N/S/R window is DAB & FM, O/S/R is AM & FM2.

For reference, in the hatch the aerials are in the top 3 elements of the heated rear screen - on a really cold morning you will notice the elements that pass through the high level brake light don't heat up as they are actually aerials.

Edited by andyvee

Disconnected the aerials because of their religion!  Bloody hell.

Well what ever their religion is I hope it doesn't involve reincarnation or being granted 50 virgins upon death, but just in case, probably a good idea to have the brakes checked out as well :D

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Disconnected the aerials because of their religion!  Bloody hell.

Well what ever their religion is I hope it doesn't involve reincarnation or being granted 50 virgins upon death, but just in case, probably a good idea to have the brakes checked out as well :D

Just had a quick google, the most likely religion here would be Christian surprisingly. There are many groups that talk about being disconnected Christians as they want to control what content is being allowed into their lives. No TV, no radio and no internet.

Reminds me of the Simpsons, no beer and no TV make homer..........go crazy.

giphy.gif

Edited by dkvinyls
  • Haha 1

I never wanted Chris Evans in my car so rather than disconnect the aerial, what I did was use the 'OFF' button. I belong to the group they call "religion of the common sense". :cool:

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...

Hello

I have a Skoda Octavia year 2017 facelift.

I hope I am not off topic. Was just trying to figure it out why my demister was not working on the top 3 elements. By reading the comments in here, they are actually radio antenna. 

I have put some pictures, can someone who really know confirm that they are part of radio/antenna and not the demister system. Just looking for an answer, because I have a warranty visit booked for this. LOL.

Thank you.

1 - Copy.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3 - Copy.jpg

They definitely ARE radio antenna elements.

Look at the lower heater elements - they are joined in the middle by a vertical strip, but the upper ones are not because they are not heater elements.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 08:48, dkvinyls said:

Just had a quick google, the most likely religion here would be Christian surprisingly. There are many groups that talk about being disconnected Christians as they want to control what content is being allowed into their lives. No TV, no radio and no internet.

Reminds me of the Simpsons, no beer and no TV make homer..........go crazy.

giphy.gif

Ironic fact, the guy he bought it off was called "Chris Tian", he offers radio disconnects in the name of the Lord jesus christ... And a £50 service fee of course... Holy work is expensive :x