Timing Belt & Water Pump

Eck45

I am thinking of getting the Timing Belt and Water Pump replaced on my 2012 Skoda (73000 miles) and wonder what the Forums view is on Genuine Skoda Parts verses Non Skoda Parts - there seems to be a big difference in price inasmuch as nearly £600 from  Skoda Garage against less than £400 from a reputable Non Skoda Garage

Is there a serious difference in the parts - Cheers

The belt is supposed to be changed at 5 years and a certain mileage, which ever is sooner and Skoda has a fixed price scheme (use by most Skoda garages). Also try to negotiate with your Skoda garage, I did and paid £394 which included the water pump as well, others have done it cheaper. If you use non Skoda parts and (in my view) anything goes wrong you have no come back unless you know a good independent VW garage well.

• Like 2

I had mine done at 135 k on about it's third birthday at my local indy , I didn't have the courage to wait until 140. The warrant was long gone for what they are worth many miles ago 

Edited by terrytowelling

Just had our 2.0TDI done at £489, which is the SUK fixed price. We also and a full service at the same time (£289 fixed price) and the passenger set heating matrix replaced too at £269 after the "goodwill" contribution from SUK Cust Svc. 

The dealer wouldn't budge on the prices at all, so I won't be using them ever again and, given our MKI needs a service too, that was short sighted, wasn't it? They really didn't seem to get we have a choice, so well very done to you guys who've got a deal on this....  

20 hours ago, highinthesky said:

I've been told by my local dealer that my cambelt (and recommended water pump) has to be changed at 4 years/40k miles!!

Needless to say your dealer is wrong! If they can't get the basics right then I wouldn't be letting them loose on anything under the bonnet.

Share your experience with Skoda UK, a bit of feedback might result in the offer of some additional training for the dealer...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

The mileage interval can vary quite considerably, the same engine in the same car but built in a different year can result in different mileage intervals. Use the link above quoting your VIN (at the bottom of the windscreen) and ask Skoda UK directly.

The time limit is blanket in the UK, 4 years on cars registered prior to September 2010, 5 years for anything registered after this date.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all
I enquired with my local VAG Independent, who has a good reputation, and was advised that the 4 year/40k figure was correct.

However he was £100 cheaper on the cambelt/water pump replacement than the main dealer

On 1/15/2018 at 19:53, numskull said:

Just had our 2.0TDI done at £489, which is the SUK fixed price. We also and a full service at the same time (£289 fixed price) and the passenger set heating matrix replaced too at £269 after the "goodwill" contribution from SUK Cust Svc. 

The dealer wouldn't budge on the prices at all, so I won't be using them ever again and, given our MKI needs a service too, that was short sighted, wasn't it? They really didn't seem to get we have a choice, so well very done to you guys who've got a deal on this....  

That seems excessive, a few months  ago the timing belt, water pump and aux belt were changed on my 2.L for the  Skoda Ireland fixed price of 420 euro. 

11 hours ago, Hoverurb said:

That seems excessive, a few months  ago the timing belt, water pump and aux belt were changed on my 2.L for the  Skoda Ireland fixed price of 420 euro. 

Well, I agree 100%, but that is the standard SUK fixed price, which dealers are free to reduce if they wish, but they wouldn't budge, hence why I'll never use them again.

The same dealer also have a Vauxhall service point there and 1st born has a 2010 Corsa which also needs a service. Guess where that won'r be going either.... commercial idiots :biggrin:

• Like 1

I’ve just bought a used Superb estate 2.0 cr DSG (170 bhp) from a local Skoda Dealer,  I noticed the cam belt and pump hadn’t been changed and I thought it should have (4 years or 60k).  The salesman checked and told me it was 5 years or 75k.  The car was registered May 2013.

They changed it anyway and did the pump too. Which was nice if them. 

16 hours ago, Nedge68 said:

I believe the service interval is 140k or 5 years which ever comes first.

That’s what Caffyn’s Tunbridge Wells told me earlier in the week.  

It’s an inherent problem with not having a service book telling you what servicing should be done when.

I bought my superb from new it is a 61 plate and I have only had it serviced at The dealership I bought it from but they have not told me to change the belt I decided at 6 1/2 years I did not want to risk it anymore, I doubt they would want to repair my car if it had snapped.

Ive just booked my 1.6 greenline in as its coming up to 5 years old. The indy garage said he cant compete with skoda fixed prices. So its off to the main dealer.

On 1/24/2018 at 14:15, HughGabriel said:

It’s an inherent problem with not having a service book telling you what servicing should be done when.

Does anyone know if there is a service interval manual online for the Superb?
That was a big change for me coming to Europe. In the US, my Passat's manual had the intervals listed in the manual. Both major items and oil change only intervals.

So far, every car I have had in Europe seeks to keep this basic information hidden to the owners. I suspect that it is a protection racket for their service centers.

3 hours ago, pablomax said:

Does anyone know if there is a service interval manual online for the Superb?
That was a big change for me coming to Europe. In the US, my Passat's manual had the intervals listed in the manual. Both major items and oil change only intervals.

So far, every car I have had in Europe seeks to keep this basic information hidden to the owners. I suspect that it is a protection racket for their service centers.

You can buy it through the erWin portal. An hour's subscription is less than a tenner and should let you download most (if not all) of the documentation for your car.

EU law demands that all technical documentation for cars sold in the EU is made available to third parties to prevent dealers monopolising the repair market.

6 hours ago, pablomax said:

I suspect that it is a protection racket for their service centers.

You aren't wrong.

As a test I'm going to email Skoda now and request the service details for my 2016 Octavia  Scout.