Sanity check ref buying a Yeti

Stubod

Hi all,

Please can somebody give me a sanity check. I currently have a 1.4Tsi Octavia (122hp), that being 8 yrs old is due for replacement. I really fancy a Yeti, and also need to tow a small caravan. Originally I considered a later 1.4 Tsi (148hp) as I am looking to tow a slightly larger caravan than I have now (2 berth). I changed from diesel due to a much lower annual mileage and friends who have had £1500+ DPF replacements.

However 1.4 Octavias seem to be few and far between. I contemplated a 1.4 Tsi Yeti, but these are even rarer and are the wrong side of £15k. (Plus some stories on this forum regarding not very good economy).

I therefore considered going back to the dark side and getting a Yeti diesel. (1.6 or 2.0, 108hp or 148hp?). However some bad review regarding pre 2015 cars that have been "fixed". So that leaves post Sept 2015 "Euro 6" diesels with adblu tank. However a local dealer has suggested the Euro 6 add blu diesels "are all very noisy and not that good" (??)

So long story short can anybody who has one offer some advice on which particular model I should be looking for??

I would consider 2 or 4wd. Need to tow a 2 birth van (circa 1200kg). Only do about 8k per year mainly country road driving, and looking for a higher spec vehicle (eg SEL+ spec).

Or should I forget all things Skoda and start looking at an alternative SUV, (CX3, Rav4, Qashqai..et all...)

Edited by Stubod

I have a 150ps adblue Yeti which is not noisy and I think is exceptionally good. Very similar to my previous 170ps none adblue diesel. Some really good bargains around for Yeti diesels. Mine was a very cheap pre-Reg.

• Like 1

I currently have 20.tdi 4x4dsg Yeti, done 15000miles with about 9000 of those towing our Eriba to and from Spain over big hills and mountain passes. Would give it 9/10

Before that we had 20.tdi 110 bhp manual, we also did about 20,000 miles towing the same eriba all over Europe.

I would rate it now 7.5 /10, however before I got the 4x4 I would have rated it 8.5/10.

The Eriba is rated at maximum weight of 1200 kgs we never load much above 1000kgs but the car gets all the weight especialy on the way back from Spain with wine and beer.

Both versions are good tow cars  with a great lock to enable easy reversing on to pitches and removeable seats for storage...we carry two bikes upright with just the front wheels removed internally.

Edited by edencampers

1 hour ago, Stubod said:

Hi all,

I therefore considered going back to the dark side and getting a Yeti diesel. (1.6 or 2.0, 108hp or 148hp?). However some bad review regarding pre 2015 cars that have been "fixed". So that leaves post Sept 2015 "Euro 6" diesels with adblu tank. However a local dealer has suggested the Euro 6 add blu diesels "are all very noisy and not that good" (??)

So long story short can anybody who has one offer some advice on which particular model I should be looking for??

I would consider 2 or 4wd. Need to tow a 2 birth van (circa 1200kg). Only do about 8k per year mainly country road driving, and looking for a higher spec vehicle (eg SEL+ spec).

Or should I forget all things Skoda and start looking at an alternative SUV, (CX3, Rav4, Qashqai..et all...)

I would suggest you find another dealer who knows what they are talking about!

Previously had a 140 4x4, now have a 150 4x4, and they certainly are NOT noisy, and I consider the 150 better than than the 140. Certainly is more economical and feels nippier.

The 150 will easily cope with that weight of caravan. The Yeti makes an exceelent tow car and is very stable. The 4x4 system makes getting off wet sites easy.

• Like 1

Define "noisy", my last car was a diesel Octavia, pretty quiet on the road, this time around I've got one of those thirsty 1.4 petrol Yeti's which it has to be said has an extremely quiet engine. Before ordering this car I did take a test drive in a brand new Yeti 2litre diesel, which also drove extremely well but was noticeably noisier than my Octavia but I think you would get used to that fairly quickly.

All the same my Yeti has been very enjoyable and completely sure footed driving around recently on snowy roads with other cars spinning around and getting stuck on fairly gentle gradients, if you can get a good deal on one of the last diesel Yeti's I think it would be a good tow car and fairly economical too.

Similar to that nice Mr edencampers.  I tow a 1200kg eriba and have taken it to the south of France. Yes it is a low profile, but it still weighs 1200kg. I have this weekend driven through torrential rain, strong winds and low temperatures to deliver it for servicing. I got a registered 42mpg and it was very stable in these horrible conditions. This is in line with previous towing, but I have seen it drop to low 30s when car and van are fully loaded at altitude.

It is a very nice tow car. The 110bhp is fine but the 140bhp is better. If a later 150bhp is in your price range you would be wise to buy it.

As an aside, I do about 8K a year of which 3K is towing. My car has had the fix. I believe it regens more frequently and uses slightly more fuel. The later is I think as a result of although the bhp and torque figures remain unchanged I think they come in at slightly higher revs. It has been mentioned somewhere in a rolling road post before and after the revs need to be about 300rpm higher. This could account for the feeling that I get that the car seems to pull a little stronger when accelerating "briskly", ie giving it a bit of stick.

Colin

31 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

.... The Yeti makes an exceelent tow car and is very stable. The 4x4 system makes getting off wet sites easy.

What the man said.  More than a few experienced caravanners here (try a Forum search https://www.briskoda.net/search/#gsc.tab=0 for yeti towing caravan or whatever), but I can't remember an adverse comment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

I used to tow my 6 berth 1355kg Sprite with a 1.4tsi 4X4 L&K Yeti. It coped easily with the van.

I now tow with a 150bhp diesel DSG Kodiaq though as Yeti boot a bit small.

There is a common belief that small turbo petrol consumption rises more in % terms than with a diesel when towing.

Can you comment?.

Hi all, and many thanks for your constructive comments...(Perhaps I was starting to get a bit paranoid!).

I do like the idea of a diesel for towing, and I assume the 140/150 hp would be better, but reading some of the above it looks like the 108hp may also be OK for a smaller van? (There seems to be a lot more of the 108hp about...but I assume they are all 2 wheel drive?)

Edited by Stubod

There are 110ps 4x4's around but performance and economy suffers against the equivalent 2wd. I thinkthat you could only get them in low spec though towards the end. Eg all sel drive were 150ps in 4wd format.

My last Yeti was the 1.6 greenline 105ps and that had reasonable performance and very good economy compared to other Yeti variants. This car was also recommended as a good tow car with a smaller caravan. Euro 5 though so likely to have been fixed.

A lot of Greenlunes were boight as company cars, like mine. They were tax efficient both for personal income tax and only £30 road tax. Hence many were high spec elegance models, and a fair choice around.

20 hours ago, Ryeman said:

There is a common belief that small turbo petrol consumption rises more in % terms than with a diesel when towing.

Can you comment?.

The Yeti was averaging around 26/27mpg when towing. 

The Kodiaq which is a 150bhp diesel and dsg averages 36mpg pulling the same van.

4 minutes ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

The Yeti was averaging around 26/27mpg when towing. 

The Kodiaq which is a 150bhp diesel and dsg averages 36mpg pulling the same van.

There you go, end of diesel AFAIC.

Our old 4x2 110bhp averaged 35-38 mpg towing our older Eriba Triton, around 1000kgs.

When abroad we always used to use the dearer diesel, Excel etc and that gave the car more umph and better fuel consumption, we have seen 45 mpg! That was from Beziers to Bonneval via the Millau bridge and Clermont Ferrand.

Our current Yeti dsg 4x4 just averages around 33-34, no matter what, its towing a slightly heaver Eriba Troll, perhaps 1100kgs.

I’m happy with that having a bit more power and it seems even more planted than the old 4x2.