DSG silver button finish (cut my finger!)

Not sure if anyone else has had any problem with the silver finish on the DSG knob yet. My vRS has 95k miles on now and the silver has started to peel from the back edge of the button and slipping it into drive today i ran my hand over it and the edge caught and gave me a paper type cut (being a proper man, i pulled over and made the wife give me lots of sympathy of course). Not sure if the pic shows it very well?

I know this is a certain amount of wear and tear but just wondering if the button is cheaply/easily changed, its only occasionally i catch it but would be nice to resolve - i was thinking a little smooth off with fine wet and dry if its too hard. Car is supposed to have extended 100k warranty (thats another dealer issue though) so could ask for them to look at it also but sometimes its easier to resolve certain things as i'm not sure if it would cover this.

IMG_0003.jpg

Edited by Exeterj

Mine is sharp too, I have to watch my finger on it! It does feel a cheap lever IMO, I’m just waiting for it to get worse and if it starts to look scabby a new one from SuperSkoda isn’t all that much if they have a sale on. Maybe wet and dry would keep it going a little longer? I may have to find out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Mine is sharp too, I have to watch my finger on it! It does feel a cheap lever IMO, I’m just waiting for it to get worse and if it starts to look scabby a new one from SuperSkoda isn’t all that much if they have a sale on. Maybe wet and dry would keep it going a little longer? I may have to find out!

Looking at Superskoda, see they are currently about 70pounds but only listed as LHD - i assume they are the same as RHD anyway?

I'll possibly try and 'seal' the edge with a tiny amount of superglue and then rub it back - not ideal but worth a try before replacing.

Edited by Exeterj
  • Like 1

At six months old mine was like that and it was replaced under warranty (after several conversations with Skoda Australia), my wife's Fabia had the same problem and it got replaced no questions asked.

On 1/23/2018 at 12:20, TDIum said:

They all do that Sir. 

I wonder if the other VAG cars have the same problem? A friend has an S8 so I'll look at his knob when I get the chance. 

Hahaha, good luck with that!! ;<)

The warranty thing maybe a challenge, as the dealer has no records of the extended warranty (although we have it on the invoice!).  Its a company car so doesn't bother me/them in terms of the end result, just don't want to it to cut me any more :crying: - although they'd probably make a fuss if the gearbox falls out next week.

On 23/01/2018 at 12:20, TDIum said:

They all do that Sir. 

I wonder if the other VAG cars have the same problem? A friend has an S8 so I'll look at his knob when I get the chance. 

:D 

I've rubbed my knob back a bit now and put some glue on it to seal the lip, before another rub off - nice and smooth now!! :cool:

PS in case anyone was wondering, fingers now on the mend - hence i might be able to turn up at work next week.

Edited by Exeterj

On 1/22/2018 at 23:56, Bidey said:

Mines going in next week to get DSG gearknob assembly replaced under warranty

All done after short 30 minute visit to dealers. Knob feels great :D