VW Up! GTI. 2018.

Ootohere

Usual mince.

Narrow tyres do allow a bit of slip.   Can not turn the traction control completely off.   You can get wheel spin at a junction.

Driving gods, drifters at 60mph, crossing the white line on bends / corners, not in control, loss of traction....

So like most cheap or small cars for many years.

Narrow tyres less aquaplaning, better in winter on the ECO tyres manufacturers fit, 

and when youths get to turn things off, get wide tyres and lose it the countries insurance and young peoples insurance goes up.

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Usual mince.

Narrow tyres do allow a bit of slip.   Can not turn the traction control completely off.   You can get wheel spin at a junction.

Driving gods, drifters at 60mph, crossing the white line on bends / corners, not in control, loss of traction....

So like most cheap or small cars for many years.

Narrow tyres less aquaplaning, better in winter on the ECO tyres manufacturers fit, 

and when youths get to turn things off, get wide tyres and lose it the countries insurance and young peoples insurance goes up.

Anymore negatives George - dig deep for a few positives if you can find then. lol George were you ever an unruly  youth?

No it was him, i watched him when that vid was released and i thought, why do you want slip, you buy a VW Up GTI to drive on the road.

He gets loaned them to earn a living, do a review.

Does he need to drift the corners, and do Scandinavian Flicks. Or is he going Auto Testing, need of hand brake turns, J-turns etc.

I am an unruly oldie, but lets get real, we drove narrow tyred cars with no ESP, no ABS, no lots of stuff and 75 bhp or less or more.

It is a German safety car, allows as much danger as you are prepared to pay for.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

No it was him, i watched him when that vid was released and i though, why do you want slip, you bought a VW Up GTI to drive on the road.

Does he need to drift the corners, and do Scandinavian Flicks. Or is he going Auto Testing, need of hand brake turns, J-turns etc.

I am an unruly oldie, but lets get real, we drove narrow tyred cars with no ESP, no ABS, no lots of stuff and 75 bhp or less or more.

It is a German safety car, allows as much danger as you are prepared to pay for.

Forgot to say ,I hope you and the family are fine . Hope you able to message on here these days?

• Like 1

My first week of ownerships in this fun package.

Put 250miles on in the first week of ownership, mainly around the Wiltshire and Gloucestershire country A B & C roads. Cracking fun car ,handles Well and that throaty 3pot revving 2.0k to 5k rpm. Brings a youthful smile to your face. In conclusion, loving this not so little package.

Spare full size alloy matching spare , would be £350 including the the Goodyear Efficient from Blackcircle approx. £95.0

Approximately 400miles in a tank of fuel showing at the moment , after 200 brisk miles of the 250travelled so far. Happy Days!

xxl_kfz352042_19554_ve67ujp_01.jpg 

Just wacked another 400 miles on in two days ferrying my son up and around outer London for a photographic assignment, bloody hell this motor continues to make me smile, thrill and surprise me, with its ability . Load carrying, , handling, performance around, town,country and Mways. Returning approx. 450miles per tank full.

So reliving my youth right now, the Boxster and R can stay in the garage and driveway, right now.

Oh! by the way its really comfortable on these longer trips and maybe as I'm used to more supportive side bolster on the sporty seat that would add to the package . However, on the basis of fun performance for the money, well designed with good quality,then its  a cracking buy in the market sector.

But as you know I probably biased.lol

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BigTam said:

They look quiet smart but should have put the 1.4 TSI engine in. The Polo GTI is 1.8 and only £130 road tax

What's the full comp insurance on the PoloGti 1.8 GTI and or the 1,4 tsi Polo GTI .

Are you sure about the £130 figure you quote for the Polo GTI 1.8 2018? manual or DSG rates,

Edited by vrskeith

As they are soon stopping putting the 1.4 TSI engine in anything it would not have been Simply Clever in the Up!.

Sooner they get a 1.5TSI into a Fabia the better, but that seems a no no, so the Limited Edition Fabia R5 tribute is getting a 1.4TSI 125ps DSG.

They might as well use them for something...

PS

£115 VED on a 2017 VW Polo GTI 192ps DSG, just 129g /km according to what VW managed to give over as the test results.

No idea that would be under Real World Testing, but then not needed, just those for the 2.0TSI ones now.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

A scandal that VW got away with that, and they never showed in the Implausible / Irregular Co2 investigations 2015/16.

They would not Real World Test those, just as they will not the low Co2 g/km VW Golf GTE.  Just discontinue and close the order books.

In depth_ how carmakers performed in the first wave of real world tests - Unearthed.mhtml

VW, FCA, others could face big fines for missing EU emissions targets.mhtml

New UK real-world emissions tests start today _ Autocar.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

59 minutes ago, BigTam said:

My polo Blue GT was only £30 road tax and it was the 1.4 ACT engine. The GTI is £130 road tax 

If that is 1,4 ACT Blue  GT 150ps. then C02 Emissions is 110 gm/ kg then check out current  DVLA rates

20 hours ago, BigTam said:

It was the 140bhp I had. Even that in the up GTI would have been nice 

Said that about the Skoda Fabia mk3 which never had a vRS replacement model. or a 1.8 or a now 2.0 ltr.

Think the engine tuners will get to grips with the UP GTi to extract circa 130 bhp, with brakes and suspension tweaks no doubt if possible. So lets wait and see !!

Interesting option ,sorry no translation.

Yes you can still have some great fun.

Edited by vrskeith

Unfortunately back in early 2000's I very much liked this package but sadly we could fit a family of 7 in it. My default position was the VW Sharan.

However, much time has past and I can now make up for the lost time, in owning a fun package, by now owning the UP. GTI

The Lupo GTI was a cracker.

http://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/21118/vw-lupo-gti-review-specs-and-buying-guide

Volkswagen Lupo GTI – front quarter

Interesting.

Shame no comments for comparison, about the ride etc. before and after.

Not bad on a TSI chipped to 140bhp / 230nm

Edited by vrskeith