Noisy car!

14 hours ago, brettikivi said:

Convolution in real-time is probably possible.. that's my idea - you'd record a standard road at, say, 80km/h, invert and add to the sound. But you need decent speakers because you'll end up putting quite a lot of low frequencies through.

ISVR at Southampton University hold some interesting patents on the subject of noise cancellation, many of which have been used by the MOD.

Just inverting and adding will make some seats in the car louder due to the standing wave patters, so avoiding making it louder for some occupants is more complex but still easy for any DSP. Worth Googling the work that Lotus Engineering did in the late 1980's and early 1990s...

Yeah it does seem that way. Just at the minute. I’m amazed as to how noisy I find the car. If I was coming from a Bentley or any car from the class above I could understand. Plus, based on price they are are probably more expensive than say Astra, focus etc. Other cars in its class. The only way I can explain the noise I guess, it’s like a hollow roar or whining noise. I think it’s coming from from the front of the car. But I’ve only sat in the front and noise can travel in strange ways. When I close the Drivers door, external noise doesn’t reduce as much as I was expecting. Which is why I’m hoping door seals / alignment will help. It’s such a shame, space is good and def feels well built. And nippy for a small diesel But at the moment any distance on a motorway feels so stressful! Well, if skoda tell me there nothing wrong at all. I’ll just need to make the decision. Try and sound proof or cut my losses and lose money on a car I’ve owned for 6 weeks and move on back to other manufacturers. 

Hi Wellsy1,

I've had a New Octavia for 2.5 years now, and it is generally noisier than other cars I have driven, especially on rough road services. The lesser models, like my 1.2, with the torsion beam rear axle, do seem to suffer with droning from the back axle coming through the large boot into the cabin.

I don't know if any one has mentioned it, but there is an under bonnet sound proofing pad, that Skoda fit to the 2.0 diesel, that can be fitted to other models. 

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-original-Skoda-Autoas-hood-silenting-panel

Might be worth trying one of these, or seeing of the dealer will pay for it.

From what I've read, people on here have had improvements from lining the boot with soundproofing, but if you can return the car, I would go down that route instead.

10 minutes ago, glosrich said:

From what I've read, people on here have had improvements from lining the boot with soundproofing, but if you can return the car, I would go down that route instead.

I'd agree that over the 3 years or so  I have been on this forum, I have noted that a fair few that have 'soundproofed' the boot and other areas but surprisingly few have claimed it has made that much difference to the road noise. Many more have claimed it improved the image from their sound systems though.

I think the statements about the varying quality of soundproofing product available may have some bearing on success.

Some of the 'bargains' on e-bay are probably not worth touching with the proverbial barge pole.

I may be just lucky but I get no droning from my torsion bar equipped rear axle at all, except when I fitted my spacesaver spare tyre (mentioned in previous post).

55 minutes ago, glosrich said:

Hi Wellsy1,

I've had a New Octavia for 2.5 years now, and it is generally noisier than other cars I have driven, especially on rough road services. The lesser models, like my 1.2, with the torsion beam rear axle, do seem to suffer with droning from the back axle coming through the large boot into the cabin.

I don't know if any one has mentioned it, but there is an under bonnet sound proofing pad, that Skoda fit to the 2.0 diesel, that can be fitted to other models. 

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-original-Skoda-Autoas-hood-silenting-panel

Might be worth trying one of these, or seeing of the dealer will pay for it.

Hi ya, thanks for all your help. Didn’t the Diesel 1.6 have thIs sound pad already? If not, I’ll buy one. 

Just for info. Car was purchased from well know car super market. Just in case I fail, I’ve spoken to them about swapping the car as I’m not happy. There response. No problem. Part exchange on vehicle I purchased from them only 5 weeks ago and spent nearly 12k for. Offered 10k. Plus no special offer on a new one. And was even quoted another admin fee and del charge. I informed them I was expecting to take a hit, but 2k In 5 weeks and especially when I plan to buy another car from them, I did think was harsh. In there defence they did say they we have a look. But I’m not holding my breath. However I think my hope is now on skoda and sound proofing the car . 

4 hours ago, SWBoy said:

ISVR at Southampton University hold some interesting patents on the subject of noise cancellation, many of which have been used by the MOD.

Just inverting and adding will make some seats in the car louder due to the standing wave patters, so avoiding making it louder for some occupants is more complex but still easy for any DSP. Worth Googling the work that Lotus Engineering did in the late 1980's and early 1990s...

interesting, I'll have to take a look at this. I was going to use a Pi as a source and then a MiniDSP 6x8 anyway....thinking about it, putting a specific signal through a single side should be easy. Just need the sound signature and apply after eq and other filters and directly before amplification.

- Bret

Edited by brettikivi

1 hour ago, wellsy1 said:

Car was purchased from well know car super market. Just in case I fail, I’ve spoken to them about swapping the car as I’m not happy. There response. No problem. Part exchange on vehicle I purchased from them only 5 weeks ago and spent nearly 12k for. Offered 10k. Plus no special offer on a new one. And was even quoted another admin fee and del charge. I informed them I was expecting to take a hit, but 2k In 5 weeks and especially when I plan to buy another car from them, I did think was harsh.

What exactly were you expecting them to do?  You purchased your car from a car supermarket - unless the car is faulty then don't expect much in the way of main dealer facilities. Prices can appear to be cheap but they're cheap for a reason. If they're offering you £2000 less after 5 weeks you're doing well !!! Remember they have tax to pay + the car now has another owner on the book + they still need to make a profit.

If you'd bought a Skoda approved car and the dealership were unabe to resolve the issue, then you may have been able to chosen another car (giving it a proper test drive this time).

Supermarkets are notorious for offering poor part ex prices - why not try WeWantAnyCar.com;  WeBuyAnyCar.com; ArnoldClark.com/sell; (and others) Why not try your local Skoda dealer and ask them if they'll give you a price for the car?

Just one other thing - do you have the V5 thru yet? Do you know who the previous owner was? CarSupermarkets sometimes source their cars from outside the UK therefore the car you have may not be a UK spec model.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

What exactly were you expecting them to do?  You purchased your car from a car supermarket - unless the car is faulty then don't expect much in the way of main dealer facilities. Prices can appear to be cheap but they're cheap for a reason. If they're offering you £2000 less after 5 weeks you're doing well !!! Remember they have tax to pay + the car now has another owner on the book + they still need to make a profit.

If you'd bought a Skoda approved car and the dealership were unabe to resolve the issue, then you may have been able to chosen another car (giving it a proper test drive this time).

Supermarkets are notorious for offering poor part ex prices - why not try WeWantAnyCar.comWeBuyAnyCar.com; ArnoldClark.com/sell; (and others) Why not try your local Skoda dealer and ask them if they'll give you a price for the car?

Just one other thing - do you have the V5 thru yet? Do you know who the previous owner was? CarSupermarkets sometimes source their cars from outside the UK therefore the car you have may not be a UK spec model.

Approved used Skoda's would come with a 30 Day no quibble exchange policy.

3 hours ago, brettikivi said:

interesting, I'll have to take a look at this. I was going to use a Pi as a source and then a MiniDSP 6x8 anyway....thinking about it, putting a specific signal through a single side should be easy. Just need the sound signature and apply after eq and other filters and directly before amplification.

- Bret

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

Supermarkets are notorious for offering poor part ex prices - why not try WeWantAnyCar.comWeBuyAnyCar.com; ArnoldClark.com/sell; (and others) Why not try your local Skoda dealer and ask them if they'll give you a price for the car?

Hi scott, 

i do understand what you are saying. My point was, I’m not looking for my money back. But looking to swap for another car on there books. I expected taking a hit. Just considering they will get another sale, with profit in it, I was expecting a little more. Especially when I will also have to pay another admin fee. However it’s done now. Fingers crossed some of the noise on my Octavia can be solved. If I can tame the roar a little will help’!

Also, regarding car. I already checked out spec before buying purchase. Car is a uk car. Yep, definitely learnt my lesson. Just was expecting more from skoda based on all the good reviews 

Most of the cars at car supermarkets are nearly all ex hire cars, as the saying goes, no car goes like a hire car. Also im not sure how valid the manufactrers warranty is if the previous owner was a hire car company. On the surface some of the deals look fantastic, bmw 335 etc 20k however i know several people who have purchased these types of cars and had no come back from eather the manufacturer or the supermarket and are left with massive repair bills. 

Hi alpha, 

warranty shouldn’t be effected . Also I always contact the manufacture with Reg before buying the vehicle. They will give you the full records, regarding warranty etc. 

On 23/01/2018 at 12:35, carrock said:

Apart from the torsion beam axle, its identical in structure and powertrain to the similar A4s, Golfs and Passats which are much more refined. I continue to believe that it's cost cutting in the insulation department that is responsible for the majority of the issues raised. The Superb shares the same powertrain, chassis and structure and never seems to suffer the same issues. I'd suggest its' insulation is more in line with what is fitted to the VWs and Audis. Just a matter of benchmarking and upgrading the Octy to match

My old 150CR O3 was so unrefined and especially harsh on the suspension, I traded it as soon as it was out of negative equity, my current car is sooo much more refined and having now covered more miles than the O3 it still as solid as the day I took delivery!   I must say though that my father-in-laws Superb 3 150TSI is also very refined,  night and day compared to my O3, so would agree the Skoda engineers managed to raid more from the Passat parts bin than they were allowed to take from the Golf parts bin! 

I have been in a mk2 superb and its fantastic car, very refined, night and day compared to the octavia. That was one of the reasons i went skoda in the first place as i was very impressed with the build of that. In hindsight the next car i buy i am going to try and hire one first for a week. 

Hi alpha. 

I’ve learn my lesson on test drives. Guess been lucky on all others cars I’ve owned as not needed longer test drives. Also don’t read reviews go straight to forums. I’m sure during my ownership, now I’m registered at the local skoda garage, I’ll be pushed toward a superb with the current deal of a life time..... that happens every month lol. Just didn’t look at the superb, as my previous car being a mito. The Octavia seemed a big enough jump in size this time round . 

I went from a clio dci to a octavia, so initaly it felt massive and luxurious. Its only when you get in other cars it dawns on you how loud the octavia actualy is. Ironically i did have the choice of getting a superb, the same price with delivary miles but compared to my clio i think it was a big jump and the Octavia was big enough.

Yeah, to be fair. For all the space. I don’t think the Octavia seems a big car to drive, It that regard it’s good. Turning circles is amazing compared to my mito. For such a small car, you were looking for a small field to turn around! Octavia seems to turn around in the smallest of spaces. I’ve got park assist, however not sure I’m brave enough to use it yet lol 

Well little up date on car. 

Skodaa informed me of  issue with door cards not secured correctly. Additional screws fitted . Also wind noise around 65-70mph. Apparently info direct from skoda ( possible service bulletin however no number given) retro fit of trim around b pillar to help with wind noise.  Not sure if this as fixed anything as I’ve not collected car yet. Collecting tomorrow so will update. Just thought I would share info. So it looks like other people complaining as got skoda to issue a mod. 

Nice one Wellsy1. Good that they have found something at least.

It will be interesting to see what the retro fit is on the b- pillar, not something that I have read before. I also had to fit a couple of new clips to my door card as it had obviously been off before - my car has had some paintwork in the past.

If your cards have also been off, then it may have had some repair work at somepoint? Do the doors line up correctly?

Fingers crossed for an improvement anyway!

Doing a bit of digging. There was a small dent on the door. Previous dealer got a dent repair place  fix it. I guess door trim as been off, to fix dent. At least I wasn’t going mad! Hopefully it makes even a small improvement, then I can only improve on it with sound deadening, absorption etc ! If I can get any info on mod I’ll post. If you Can see a difference, I’ll add photos 

Wellsy, I mentioned earlier on this thread the possibility that the plastic cosmetic trims on the tralling edge of the driver’s door and the leading edge of the rear door can cause an issue if they’re not seated properly. Stems from my experience testing an Octy before I bought one - there was a surprising amount of noise coming from behind my right shoulder when I drove, to the point the sales guy asked me to stop. He jumped out, walked round to my side and gave the rear door pillar a thump - the trim had popped out, air was bleeding in and that was where the noise came from.

No idea if that’s the exact cause of some of your issues, and the car I tested back then was a 14 plate.

Edited by MorrisOx

Looks like you were right. Fingers crossed. When I collect car, I’ll have a look and take photos if the mod stands out, maybe as it’s a comfort issue, Skoda haven’t release a proper service bulletin / recall.  Just fix when someone moans. Because when I’ve phone skoda uk, as nice as they were the reply was very much. “ we don’t seem to have any records of complaints “. Then read forums, loads of people have mentioned issues.

From my point of view, I just felt like. Noise was attacking me from everywhere. Engine, road, external. Also, they mention mod was to stop externel trim/ seal getting caught. Which also makes sense. As sometimes the car did seem quieter. Ok rarely lol 

20 hours ago, wellsy1 said:

Hi alpha, 

warranty shouldn’t be effected . Also I always contact the manufacture with Reg before buying the vehicle. They will give you the full records, regarding warranty etc. 

100% correct. There's no reason for the warranty to be affected, moreover the supermarkets normally advertise that their car has xx months of manufacturers warranty remaining - the larger supermarkets don't usually sell cars old enough that they're outside the manufacturers warranty.

Where you will find a difference is if a form of 'goodwill' is required from the manufacturer to correct an issue. There's a good chance of goodwill when you buy within the dealer network but don't expect too much sympathy if you buy a car from a 3rd party.

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

100% correct. There's no reason for the warranty to be affected, moreover the supermarkets normally advertise that their car has xx months of manufacturers warranty remaining - the larger supermarkets don't usually sell cars old enough that they're outside the manufacturers warranty.

Where you will find a difference is if a form of 'goodwill' is required from the manufacturer to correct an issue. There's a good chance of goodwill when you buy within the dealer network but don't expect too much sympathy if you buy a car from a 3rd party.

To be fair I’ve never had a issue. I always find ( rightly or wrongly) it’s more to do with if you get your car maintained by the official network . Legally this shouldn’t be a issue, however it gives them more excuses. Also I guess biggest issue is the brand. I remember buying a Ford Focus from a main dealer. Had everything done at main dealer. Then the famous ford rot set in. Attitude from dealer and manufacturers yeah manufacturing error, however we have decided not to cover it anymore . Thanks ford lol! I was a ford fan( for my sins ), but bad customer service and I’ve not been back since. Seat were good, alfa were too. Vw not so , however this could have been my local dealer. 

So far skoda have been great. Can’t fault them. Plus shows good customer service is worth it. There help now as gained my trust and all my future servicing maintenance etc.