LED Lights

Karman

For those who have driven their Karoq in the dark and used the LED headlights, I would be grateful of your opinion on them.

I have a Seat Leon with them fitted, and like many who have LED Lights on their Leons they are not always what they cracked up to be.

So I am hoping for a big improvement. So thoughts please.

I drove the SE L 2.0 diesel and found the LED's very effective and I have Xenon's which I think are quite good but the LED's on the Karoq that I drove were a step up again. I really noticed the very definitive cut off lines.

I find the LEDs very good, but I am comparing them with the candles that I had on my previous Qashqai!

They spread the light very well on dip, and main beam shines a long way down the road in front of you.

2 hours ago, Karman said:

Danny it was one reason I didn’t get the Atteca because it’s got the same headlamp unit, great in summer not so in winter.

I had mine for four days three weeks ago, I did not know it was the same as the Ateca (and would not have thought that either as I felt it was much better in the Karoq) as I have driven that one as well but I was impressed with the lights and I have had Xenon's for ten years. Perhaps it is also to do with that the Xenon's are a different coloured (obviously) to halogen and the LED's are that much whiter compared to Xenon's.

Edited by Danny 57

Danny

Sorry for the confusion but the Ateca is the same unit as the Leon and it's completely different unit in the karoq, just happy they seem so much better in the Karoq.

3 hours ago, Karman said:

Danny

Sorry for the confusion but the Ateca is the same unit as the Leon and it's completely different unit in the karoq, just happy they seem so much better in the Karoq.

:thumbup: At least I am not going maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.:D

Do they penetrate heavy rain in the dark also when the roads are wet does it show the road up or does the water on the road absorbs the light. I have to drive with my fogs on at times if the weather bad in the dark with my Leon.

• 3 weeks later...

Would be interested in this thread as I currently have a Leon with LED Lights, they look good outside but aren’t the brightest lights in the world, hopefully get a karoq this year with digital dash!!! 

I have been driving a Golf R with full LED's for the past 2 weeks. TBH, I prefer the Xenons on my Octavia VRS. The LED"s are certainly bright enough (brighter than 4-year old Xenons which have probably dimmed with age), but the spread of light seems odd and is taking me some getting used to. Perhaps the Karoq LED's are better than the latest Golfs, but I am yet to be convinced by the technology. 

4 hours ago, VAGCF said:

The Yeti has Xenon for dip and Halogen for full and they are some of the best lights I've ever had. I hope the Karoq LED ones are at least as good or it's a backward step. 

I am hoping for a massive improvement to my Leon where they was and are hugely overrated by the press,

They are really poor in all but dry weather which is when they then come into their own and are that good, but you really need lights in poor weather and vision where they are terrible, I even have to use my fogs in heavy rain to see properly on major roads. 

When I get my Skoda I will report on their effectiveness.

Edited by Karman

2 hours ago, Karman said:

I am hoping for a massive improvement to my Leon where they was and are hugely overrated by the press,

They are really poor in all but dry weather which is when they then come into their own and are that good, but you really need lights in poor weather and vision where they are terrible, I even have to use my fogs in heavy rain to see properly on major roads. 

When I get my Skoda I will report on their effectiveness.

The LED lights are very good, bright and crisp white light. Vast improvement compared to xenon light and standard lights. The LED’s do pick up any thing with reflected surfaces in the far distance, road signs even animals eyes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VAGCF said:

The Yeti has Xenon for dip and Halogen for full and they are some of the best lights I've ever had. I hope the Karoq LED ones are at least as good or it's a backward step. 

Well my Yeti Elegance had Xenons for dipped AND main beam.  B)

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:09, Macdemon said:

Well my Yeti Elegance had Xenons for dipped AND main beam.  B)

Mine too bi xenons.

M

Edited by ktm690rr
additional info

IIRC the FL it’s the same as the MKII Superb... Bi-xenons with additional filament ‘main beam’ that are used to flash your lights (when the lights are off), this saves wear on the xenons which do not like being turn on and off (flashed) quickly.

found this article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/karoq/102559/skoda-karoq-led-lighting-technology

"The Karoq’s LED headlights are also intelligent. The Adaptive Front Light (AFS) system operates as soon as the lights are turned on, and can change the geometry of the light beam to suit different situations. For example, it projects a wider and shorter beam in town driving to illuminate pavements and crossings, while a different setting is used for high-speed driving which elongates the beam, yet lights up adjacent lanes on motorways. It can also adapt to weather conditions, how heavily laden the car is, and which way the wheels are pointing. It gradually switches between the different settings, so the driver isn’t distracted."

"For an additional £200, the Karoq’s headlights can be further specified with an automatic high-beam function. This uses a windscreen-mounted camera to scan the road ahead, constantly adjusting and dimming individual LEDs to maintain the high beam without dazzling road users. It’s both safer and more convenient because the driver no longer has to flip the full beam off and on each time a car passes."

Is this true? The first paragraph describing whats already part of the car's tech? I thought that both of these paragraphs fall under optional adaptive lights package/option?

56 minutes ago, vadimo said:

found this article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/karoq/102559/skoda-karoq-led-lighting-technology

"The Karoq’s LED headlights are also intelligent. The Adaptive Front Light (AFS) system operates as soon as the lights are turned on, and can change the geometry of the light beam to suit different situations. For example, it projects a wider and shorter beam in town driving to illuminate pavements and crossings, while a different setting is used for high-speed driving which elongates the beam, yet lights up adjacent lanes on motorways. It can also adapt to weather conditions, how heavily laden the car is, and which way the wheels are pointing. It gradually switches between the different settings, so the driver isn’t distracted."

"For an additional £200, the Karoq’s headlights can be further specified with an automatic high-beam function. This uses a windscreen-mounted camera to scan the road ahead, constantly adjusting and dimming individual LEDs to maintain the high beam without dazzling road users. It’s both safer and more convenient because the driver no longer has to flip the full beam off and on each time a car passes."

Is this true? The first paragraph describing whats already part of the car's tech? I thought that both of these paragraphs fall under optional adaptive lights package/option?

It is true - the first paragraph describes a standard fitment, the second describes an option. I chose this on my car, and it works really well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bone_tone said:

It is true - the first paragraph describes a standard fitment, the second describes an option. I chose this on my car, and it works really well.

I have also chosen this as a option and I am really pleased you think it’s works really well because you are the only one I have read to have it. I was beginning to regret it and wondered if it was a waste of money.

I've just come from a Kuga Titanium X to my Karoq. The Kuga had HBA, and although great in theory, it was nowhere near as quick as the human eye insomuch as it could not react to approaching headlights coming round a bend, nor marker lights on the top of a truck or lorry, so I would have to override the HBA and dip the headlights myself, or risk being flashed at myself ;). It also (occasionally) would react falsely to red marker reflectors on warning posts on bends in the road, just when you needed them most! More annoying than anything, as I knew when it was going to happen on my regular route to work, out in the sticks, in the dark. On the Kuga you could set the level of sensitivity - Low, Medium,High in the settings menu. 

Maybe/hopefully the Skoda system somehow works much better, but it isn't something I would have personally opted for.

My Insignia 6-7 years ago had the headlight auto dip and it was very perhaps too effective. It would dip way before I would.

Edited by Danny 57