Rear bumper damage?

Ok,

This is an unusual one!

I've just reversed my car in a carpark and the rear sensors just beeped slowly then all of a sudden the car stopped and the sensors were playing the continuous noise. 

Question is - does the car abruptly stop itself if it thinks it's going to reverse into something at very low speed?

It felt as though it hit the car behind, but I can't see any damage at all on both cars? It's dark at the minute but I went to a petrol station and can't see any damage.

It's weird as the car stopped so suddenly and I'm sure that if I hit the car behind me, there must be damage to the bumper or paint.

So what I'm trying to find out was the sudden stopping of the car some form of anti collision protection or have I simply hit the car behind but no damage is showing?

Mine is a 2017 vRS DSG facelift with no options

Thanks!

Edited by damo74

19 minutes ago, damo74 said:

So what I'm trying to find out was the sudden stopping of the car some form of anti collision protection

This.

Experienced this when reversing into a parking space in the summer, the brakes are automatically applied so hard that it feels like an impact.

10 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

This.

Experienced this when reversing into a parking space in the summer, the brakes are automatically applied so hard that it feels like an impact.

Ok cool, so did you hit another car or did it stop itself?

48 minutes ago, damo74 said:

Ok,

This is an unusual one!

I've just reversed my car in a carpark and the rear sensors just beeped slowly then all of a sudden the car stopped and the sensors were playing the continuous noise. 

Question is - does the car abruptly stop itself if it thinks it's going to reverse into something at very low speed?

It felt as though it hit the car behind, but I can't see any damage at all on both cars? It's dark at the minute but I went to a petrol station and can't see any damage.

It's weird as the car stopped so suddenly and I'm sure that if I hit the car behind me, there must be damage to the bumper or paint.

So what I'm trying to find out was the sudden stopping of the car some form of anti collision protection or have I simply hit the car behind but no damage is showing?

Mine is a 2017 vRS DSG facelift with no options

Thanks!

It may be rear traffic alert, not sure if it should only work for moving vehicles though.

Screenshot_20180124-191252.jpg

15 minutes ago, dkvinyls said:

It may be rear traffic alert, not sure if it should only work for moving vehicles though.

Screenshot_20180124-191252.jpg

Thanks for that. Didn't even know my car had it! 

Does your car have blind spot monitoring? I didn't realise until I'd read the first page that this feature uses the radar sensors inside the bumper rather than the parking sensors. The sensors inside the bumper come with blind spot monitoring.

Screenshot_20180124-193639.jpg

Edited by dkvinyls

28 minutes ago, dkvinyls said:

Does your car have blind spot monitoring? I didn't realise until I'd read the first page that this feature uses the radar sensors inside the bumper rather than the parking sensors. The sensors inside the bumper come with blind spot monitoring.

Screenshot_20180124-193639.jpg

If it's not standard, mine won't have blind spot warning

It's a standard feature with the parking sensors. Maneuver braking. I've had it a few times braving towards a hedge. Loads of room but an errant twig caused the brakes to slam on. Scared the c**p out of me! Pretty sure you can switch it off in the car settings. I'd rather have the brakes slam on at low speed whilst reversing than bump in to something TBH.

Edited by wg100

@wg100. My FL03 DSG VRS has LA and PA can Blind spot be enabled via VCDS or are extra sensors/ radars required?? If this isn't the case then surely your cars are fitted with Blind Spot aren't they?? I'm only aware of the car self braking when in reverse unless BS is fitted.. Suppose the same question applies for rear traffic alert..

Edited by RoboOp

1 hour ago, wg100 said:

It's a standard feature with the parking sensors. Maneuver braking. I've had it a few times braving towards a hedge. Loads of room but an errant twig caused the brakes to slam on. Scared the c**p out of me! Pretty sure you can switch it off in the car settings. I'd rather have the brakes slam on at low speed whilst reversing than bump in to something TBH.

Exactly the same happened to me, but my other half was driving. You can imagine!? 

Yes you can disable it in the settings in the parking manoeuvring menu.