TomTom ditches map updates for some sat-navs

vxh26

The TomTom Via 135 I bought in 2013 comes with 'lifetime' map updates until 2023 (10 years). 

The Via 53 I bought two weeks ago has 'lifetime' map updates until..... 2023 (5 years)!

7 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Brimma - At a guess they mean "planned life of $pratnav" rather than "life expectancy of the end user".

That's exactly what they mean. Lifetime of the device not your lifetime. And that probably means 2-5yr not 82yr.

And even if they drop support you can bet they have clauses so they don't have to compensate you.

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

Got a TomTom XL but don't bother paying for the updates any more anyway - not much really changes on the road network

Depends though, 

Ive had google map on my phone and the awful maps on my work windows phone both try to send me the wrong way through one way systems that have been changed.

In one case the windows phone try to send me over a new river bridge that hadnt been fully built yet..

I'm still waiting on the (still supported) Drive maps on the BMW to update with the the feckin great big Queensferry crossing bridge.

It's nearly 2 miles long, took 6yr to construct and opened 5 months ago. Is it on the maps...no. Sat nav goes bat**** at the south end of the bridge every time.

Used my TomTom Via 135 to go from Hamilton to Methil. Updated to latest maps. Damn thing threw a Double Six as I crossed the bridge as it didn't recognise it. It didn't help that the TMC power adapter was playing up. 

Following week, same route but using the Via 53 with fully updated maps, no issues, recognised bridge and live traffic via 3 SIM. 

It would appear from my experience map updates are not to the same standard? 

On 30/01/2018 at 12:00, mac11irl said:

Depends though, 

Ive had google map on my phone and the awful maps on my work windows phone both try to send me the wrong way through one way systems that have been changed.

In one case the windows phone try to send me over a new river bridge that hadnt been fully built yet..

You can report map errors to Google, who generally fix them pretty quickly 

• Like 1