Polo pd130 turbo

Poloeddy

I'm just wondering if someone could confirm the model number for the turbo on a pd130? I know the engine code is BLT and that its a Garrett turbo but I need to replace it with a refurbished one as mine went pop recently. I've done a bit of research and thought it was a GT1749VA but read a few threads saying otherwise? - If I had the car with me, Id just look on the turbo but it's at the garage!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure why they would, all the recon turbos i was looking at were listed as fitting ibiza/polo/fabia

garrett showed golf/leon/octavia although  thats for ASZ, BLT might be different. 

Either way i cant really help you :sadsmile:

Thanks. Just need someone to clarify exactly what’s on the polos. - I should just phone the garage who’re replacing the turbo but they aren’t there on a Saturday and I said I’d source a unit. 

1 hour ago, Poloeddy said:

Thanks. Just need someone to clarify exactly what’s on the polos. - I should just phone the garage who’re replacing the turbo but they aren’t there on a Saturday and I said I’d source a unit. 

Why not get the garage to source the Turbo - then if they have the wrong one delivered it's their problem. Also if it goes wrong.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Why not get the garage to source the Turbo - then if they have the wrong one delivered it's their problem. Also if it goes wrong.....

I would however, they won’t source a recon turbo only a new one which is £700

I work for a transmission company repairing gearboxes and fitting clutches. We love it when customers supply their own parts , warranty only on the Labour then. That's why garages Mark up the prices on parts to cover them selves having to do the job again cos the suppliers never pay up ! We only fit decent quality parts as well. 

Cheers puddy 

In addition why did the original turbo fail ?  Many things can kill a turbo -  oil contamination, oil starvation, incorrect boost pressure, foreign objects, as well as blocked engine breathers, cats and DPFs.  Obviously if these issues still exist then the turbo will die again.

13 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

In addition why did the original turbo fail ?  Many things can kill a turbo -  oil contamination, oil starvation, incorrect boost pressure, foreign objects, as well as blocked engine breathers, cats and DPFs.  Obviously if these issues still exist then the turbo will die again.

The oil hasn’t been changed in a long time so I’m assuming it’s that. My fault, I should have sorted it. :(

16 hours ago, Wino said:

This page suggests that they are either KKK or BorgWarner in Polos.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2004-253/1/145-145035/

KKK is a borgwarner so if that page is correct it means OPs polo is not on an original turbo. Maybe worth checking to see why its killed potentially 2 turbos already. Not changing the oil is not ideal so maybe that could be the culprit.

You will be taking a risk with a recon unit so prepare to spend a bit more on one from a reputable company as i've just experienced what happens when you buy a cheaper recon turbo and have it fail instantly. Luckily i'm doing the work so its only lost time, but if i were paying a garage i would not be happy to get it changed twice!

8 minutes ago, JWvrs25 said:

KKK is a borgwarner so if that page is correct it means OPs polo is not on an original turbo. Maybe worth checking to see why its killed potentially 2 turbos already. Not changing the oil is not ideal so maybe that could be the culprit.

You will be taking a risk with a recon unit so prepare to spend a bit more on one from a reputable company as i've just experienced what happens when you buy a cheaper recon turbo and have it fail instantly. Luckily i'm doing the work so its only lost time, but if i were paying a garage i would not be happy to get it changed twice!

I bought the polo on 50k and it’s now done just shy of 150k. I obviously aren’t aware of the cars entire history prior to purchasing it however, I’m doubtful of it being on its second turbo. - I’ll just contact the garage who’re doing the work and get the information off the turbo itself. I don’t want to purchase the wrong turbo to delay things and assumed someone on here would know for certain what the polo pd130s used. 

In reference to why it’s blown, I don’t know for certain. I guess having old oil in the system isn’t exactly healthy for it. - I just assumed that’s why it gave up. Would you think it’s potentially something else at fault other than old oil? 

thats not too bad then you know that turbo has done at least 100k and considering you haven't been on it with the oil changes it seems quite acceptable. Most owners on here are fabia vrs and those were all fitted with KKK from new, would have thought the polo would have been the same, those etka diagrams posted above would suggest they were.

is "new" VAG supplied only?  I can see why they would want to cover themselves but can hardly gib @ someone like Turbo  Technics or similar rather than some backstreet out fit   --make sure they fit new oil feed pipes too or even VAG won't stand by the warranty