Engine revs without foot on accelarator

I have not had the engine rev up when in gear and clutch fully engaged. It only happens to me occasionally  when I try to slip the clutch during a slow manoeuvre.  The car does not speed up, just the engine. 

I should not try using my phone with grandchild at softplay - it should of course be 800, not 8000.

Any way bairn dropped off and had a play on the way home  as follows:

In  first gear, idling at 800, lift left foot and after say half an inch the revs jump up to 1800. Car not moving . Keep the clutch at that position and it will continue at 1800RPM all day. Now, start to lift the left foot slowly and revs remain the same until the bite point is reached. As the clutch bites the revs fall due to increased engine load. The car starts to move forward , the revs continue to fall and then the clutch is fully released - so far the right foot has not been used. This is a smooth take off but engine revs too much.  Now the car is moving and the right foot needs to be used to make progress. 

An update on my contact with Dealer / Skoda Uk:

Last week I left my car with Dealer and spoke with Service Manager. They found car was behaving normal and exchanged info with Skoda UK technical.

I then contacted Skoda UK via the website detailing my symptoms.

Today I received a phone call from a Skoda UK Customer Services Manager. I explained the cars behaviour over the phone. The Customer Service Manager said he would speak to The Dealer Service Manager about the problem and ring me back. So far I have found dealership and Skoda UK really good to deal with, unfortunately as yet I am no further forward. However I am optimistic as I am sure I will receive a follow up call soon. 

11 hours ago, BigKev2 said:

An update on my contact with Dealer / Skoda Uk:

Last week I left my car with Dealer and spoke with Service Manager. They found car was behaving normal and exchanged info with Skoda UK technical.

I then contacted Skoda UK via the website detailing my symptoms.

Today I received a phone call from a Skoda UK Customer Services Manager. I explained the cars behaviour over the phone. The Customer Service Manager said he would speak to The Dealer Service Manager about the problem and ring me back. So far I have found dealership and Skoda UK really good to deal with, unfortunately as yet I am no further forward. However I am optimistic as I am sure I will receive a follow up call soon. 

It will be useful to see how you get on with Skoda UK this week as mine is going into Silbury next Monday re this issue.

An update on my dealings with Skoda UK

On Monday they rang in response to my web complaint and said they were not aware of a feature that revved the engine, called 'pull away assist'. They said they needed to take more detailed technical advice.

Today they rang back and said that they had contacted the Dealer Service Manager and taken further technical advice. They then advised that they have now learnt that the  feature does indeed exist on the 1.5TSI engine. They went on to say that it is designed to prevent a stall.

So once again I explained that this feature is annoying and I need it either removing or toning down. I asked what the procedure was for rejecting the car and they advised it needs to be progressed through the dealer. They have agreed to contact the Skoda factory to see if its possible to tone down or remove the feature. IThey said it would be Momday before I hear from them again. Once again a friendly efficient service but as yet no one seems to be able to make progress with my issue. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BigKev2 said:

An update on my dealings with Skoda UK

On Monday they rang in response to my web complaint and said they were not aware of a feature that revved the engine, called 'pull away assist'. They said they needed to take more detailed technical advice.

Today they rang back and said that they had contacted the Dealer Service Manager and taken further technical advice. They then advised that they have now learnt that the  feature does indeed exist on the 1.5TSI engine. They went on to say that it is designed to prevent a stall.

So once again I explained that this feature is annoying and I need it either removing or toning down. I asked what the procedure was for rejecting the car and they advised it needs to be progressed through the dealer. They have agreed to contact the Skoda factory to see if its possible to tone down or remove the feature. IThey said it would be Momday before I hear from them again. Once again a friendly efficient service but as yet no one seems to be able to make progress with my issue. 

Oh well, I'll still take mine in on Monday so at least it's recorded by Skoda, plus I need to speak to the dealer about something else. The increase in revs is a real pain when stuck in slow moving traffic, you either sound as if you are over reving, or you have to keep slipping the clutch.

Quick update (more so for BigKev regarding jumpy cold start).  Car was left with dealer over night, they test drove this morning and run diagnostics on it, but they 'could not witness' the jumpy engine. The tried again later in day with not sucess.

However. . .  They have made a comment that this is a known issue and they are waiting for a fix from Skoda.  So, atleast a form of acknowledgement.

Will be collecting car tomorrow, and will try to get a bit more information...  But unfortunately i am not mechanically minded, so it may get lost in translation. Would suggest anyone with 'jumpy cold starts' report back to dealers and have it logged! 

Collected car, no further news.  Dealer repeated it was a known issue and waiting on Skoda for fix, and will let us know.  They said it may be a software update or a part, but they really didn't know what the solution may be. 

so i guess on cold days, i should wear a neck brace to prevent whiplash from the jerkiness!   And will make a note in my calendar to chase them up on this, so it doesn't get forgotten.  

Well we have quite a few posts now so I thought I would summarise what I believe the issues to be - well certainly on my car, and whats been done so far:

OCTAVIA 1.5 TSI ACT 

ISSUE 1 - COLD STARTS

Car starts fine, slightly raised revs which is normal for a cold start. Revs quickly settle down to 800RPM, so far so good. Let the clutch up to pull away and the revs give a automatic slight kick to say 1200, all very good so far. However once on the move,  and until  the car has reached normal temperature, it lurches in first and second gear. Its as though its not getting enough fuel. Fortunately the car warms up quickly. I would feel unsafe pulling out at a junction with a cold engine.

ISSUE 2 - ENGINE AUTOMATICALLY REVVING WHEN PULLING AWAY, CRAWLING AND PARKING. 

In gear, lift clutch from floor and before the bite point is reached the engine revs rise to approx. 1800RPM without foot on accelerator. As the clutch is lifted further to the bite point the car moves forward and the revs fall. This results in a waste of fuel and excessive clutch slip. 

Issues 1 and 2 may well be related.

WHATS BEEN DONE SO FAR

Car returned to dealer for investigation

Dealer advises its behaving as it should and they all do that on the 1.5TSIs. 

Dealer puts in a technical query to Skoda on my behalf

Skoda write back to Dealer and advise that this is how the 'Pull away assist ' should work and to continue to monitor. No mention of the lumpy cold weather operation

I contact Skoda UK Customer Relations

They say they have never heard of 'Pull Away Assist' and take further technical advice.

Skoda UK ring back to confirm that the Pull Away Assist does exist, its a new feature that they were not aware of. They advise what I have described is normal

I say I cant live with it and ask them to see if the feature can be toned down or removed. They agree to contact the factory, I await response.

I e mail my Dealer overall Manager asking for a meeting, I await response.  

• Thanks 1

Took the car into Silbury this morning re the revs and nearside light in the boot not working. Did the drive round the car park with mechanic in the car, revs increased, as expected, and he initially said that this was the anti stall feature. He then took the car to the workshop re the light, about 40 mins later he returned having done more tests and confirmed that Skoda are aware of the issue with 1.5 tsi and he is awaiting for a software update (although   this may take several months), so it looks as if Skoda have now acknowledged the problem.

Lamp unit was replaced as the problem was a dodgy diode.

This was the usual very good service from Silbury.

IMG_20180219_125614.jpg

Edited by DaveLees
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the kind of answer I was expecting...
Good news, although the waiting time might be a while, at least there is acknowledgement of a problem on Skodas side...

Thats the first good news from Skoda. At least they admit the Pull Away Assist is not working as intended. I am waiting for Skoda UK and Dealer to get back to me. I have actually managed a work around for straight pull aways . Lift the clutch quickly from the floor to the bite point so by the time the revs have started on their way to 1800 the clutch drag pulls them back and there is minimal over revving. This technique is not so good when parking and crawling however.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BigKev2 said:

Thats the first good news from Skoda. At least they admit the Pull Away Assist is not working as intended. I am waiting for Skoda UK and Dealer to get back to me. I have actually managed a work around for straight pull aways . Lift the clutch quickly from the floor to the bite point so by the time the revs have started on their way to 1800 the clutch drag pulls them back and there is minimal over revving. This technique is not so good when parking and crawling however.

I thought that you would be pleased about that news! At least Skoda have admitted that there is a problem that needs fixing.

BigKev2  That's exactly what I am doing. I have found out how to avoid the over-rev mostly by lifting the clutch a little, but still, when doing a slow park, you cannot avoid the engine taking over with high revs.  It happens if the engine is cold or hot and if the gradient is nothing or steep and I don't think the steering angle really matters either. I am also familiar with the way the engine surges when cold, like every time I start up. It's annoying but my Fabia didn't do it. The engine settles down within 5 minutes of driving or less.

Just had my third call from Skoda UK Customer services. They say once again the anti stall feature has been recently fitted to the 1.5TSi engines  to prevent a stall on pullaway. They went on to say that my cars behaviour is normal and there is nothing that can be done about it as its not a fault and that's the design.. There is no more progress to be made with Skoda Customer services . They are closing the case.

What they have said however conflicts with the software update that Dave Lees has been advised of. I mentioned this to UK Customer Service and they said we know nothing about that.

I have a meeting next week with the Operations Manager at Pullmans (my dealer) next Monday. I am hoping that if I explain the situation he may be able to get something done.

Hi all,

This is all very interesting as my new SKODA Octavia Estate Manual 1.5 TSI ACT is also showing many of the symptoms that have been described in this thread.... Especially the over revving to 2000rpm during slow manoeuvres & junctions, & the lurching / erratic & bumpy ride in 1st & 2nd gears, especially from cold.

However, it’s going into Westover SKODA tomorrow morning to be looked at... Fingers crossed!

I’m hopeful of some positive news as I’m super pleased with the Octavia & everything else it offers me, but after reading so many posts where this issue is still unresolved, I’m not sure I will have any more luck than you all.

I will keep you posted... 

• Like 1

I am meeting with the Operations Manager of my local Pullmans dealerships on Monday to discuss the Pull Away assist and cold running issues. It would be useful to know where others are at with these issues. So please if you would, briefly say if your car has been back to dealers / you have contacted Skoda UK and where you stand at the moment. Thanks.

On 18/02/2018 at 09:22, Salp said:

Collected car, no further news.  Dealer repeated it was a known issue and waiting on Skoda for fix, and will let us know.  They said it may be a software update or a part, but they really didn't know what the solution may be. 

so i guess on cold days, i should wear a neck brace to prevent whiplash from the jerkiness!   And will make a note in my calendar to chase them up on this, so it doesn't get forgotten.  

Software update may take months and months as it need to be approved by agencies etc... (Things haven't calmed down after emission software update).

I had my Octavia issues looked into on Wednesday... It was confirmed the car is over revving and a fault code was stored / found. Code was erased from vehicle as per TPI and a suggestion has been made to help stem the reported issue.

The terminology diagnosed has been the ‘Idle Speed Control’ requires a software update.

Also, a bulletin was released at end of November 2017 in relation to this know Issue.

Had a really good chat with the guy who collected & returned my car from my home... He reported that there’s defo something wrong with the car & it ‘bounced’ down the road (private) in first / second gears from the off & he had difficulties parking at the Westover SKODA due to high revs.

I’ve also spoken to SKODA Customer Services twice and have a case manager dealing with this issue on my behalf. 

It’s been confirmed a fix / software update will be available but also confirmed that the release date is open ended.

Interesting what your saying about months & months Lyminton!!

I’m due to speak with her again today at midday to go through her findings in the last 24hrs and to agree a way forward.

The main point for her was to ascertain if the lurching / stuttering issues in first & second gears are related to the revving issue. The lurching etc makes my car very difficult to drive in low gears etc & hugely unpleasant. 

I will update further when I have more...

4 hours ago, OLI-G said:

Also, a bulletin was released at end of November 2017 in relation to this know Issue.

Sounds like you have made some real progress there OLI_G, thank you for your efforts. Please keep us informed.