Start stop problem - High power consumption

Hi all

Purchased a 17 plate Octavia 1.6 TDI Tech Greenline last week to replace my 2015  1.6 TDI Octavia and the stop start is not working.

Despite doing decent runs on the motorway to and from work the stop start does not work due to high power consumption even when radio, lights, AC etc are turned off.

My 2015 Octavia's stop start would work pretty much straight after starting a journey and I never had issues with it over 3 years and 35k.

It's not a massive issue as most of my driving is done out of town/on the motorway but I would like everything to be working on the car as its only 6 months old and has only done 1500 miles and it could be an underlying fault.

I have seen a few posts on here with people having similar problems, has anybody managed to get the problem successfully rectified by the dealers?

I'm planning on taking it in to the dealers next week for them to look at but don't want to be told some nonsense excuse!

Cheers

Edited by Tommo_1986
add tag

Top user cause is DashCam perminantly plugged in causing a drain noticed by the battery charging module.

Real faults seem regularly battery problems & perhaps some early models required BCM replacements.

For many it can take several trips to the dealer as probably on the first visit they will just charge your battery & tell you everything is fine.

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly clueless when It comes to cars etc.

I recently bought a 2nd hand, 2.0L 66 plate Octavia estate. The Auto stop/Start doesn't work. When I look on the infotainment screen under Car status it shows the message "Power Consumption is High"

This message is still displayed after long journeys. I have put a battery tester on and it tells me the battery is fully charged.

Any ideas from anyone on here would be fully appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, tommoggy said:

Any ideas from anyone on here would be fully appreciated. 

Could be a few things:-

• Battery on its way out
  • Battery not the correct sort (AGM or EFB)
  • Previous owner has had setting changed(VCDS) so that the stop start never works - some people hate stop start
  • There really is something faulty drawing lots of current 

My son recently bought a 2016 S spec 1.2tsi where the stop start wasn't happy on test drive  although the rest of the car was great. We insisted on a replacement battery (EFB) and it's been fine since.

Stop start batteries are hammered on the charge cycle at times so don't tend to last as long and if a second hand car sits in the dealer network for a while(very little driving) then it can be the last straw then causing it to start failing.

Edited by bigjohn

If the car is in warranty it will be fixed. It took 4 attempts at my main dealer. Each time a diagnosis said no problem. 

I got a nice loan car each time. 

Moll EFB batteries had a problem. 

If you bought it from a trader, Skoda or non-Skoda, they should fix it anyway regardless of any warranty. The only way they could get out of it is if the fault was apparent on a test drive and you agreed to it, and they can prove this in some way (like you signed something saying you had agreed to accept the car with the fault). Consumer rights and all that. 

If you bought it privately then you have very little to come back on. But it is quite possible that someone disabled the start-stop from working using a coding tool - this is reversible at little cost. 

Stop/start batteries are strange items.  They cope well with many regular current draws to restart but don't cope well with sitting for extended periods.  They also don't tend to last as long.  Just had to replace the battery in my dads CRV before selling it as it was shot from being sat only used half a dozen time since the autumn.  Before that it started every time.  I have disabled S/S in mine for this very reason and at just over 5 years old its just about holding together.  Struggled to start the other day due to being sat still for 48hrs and MrsG82 forgetting to turn off the camera 🤦‍♂️

22 hours ago, bigjohn said:

• Battery on its way out
  • Previous owner has had setting changed(VCDS) so that the stop start never works - some people hate stop start

My son recently bought a 2016 S spec 1.2tsi where the stop start wasn't happy on test drive  although the rest of the car was great. We insisted on a replacement battery (EFB) and it's been fine since.

Stop start batteries are hammered on the charge cycle at times so don't tend to last as long and if a second hand car sits in the dealer network for a while(very little driving) then it can be the last straw then causing it to start failing.

It was ex motorbility. Only done 25000 miles. It was bought privately and to be honest I didn’t notice it on test drive.

i checked the battery tho this morning and it’s and AGM battery.
So should I take to a dealer to be checked? 

Thanks all for the reply 

Tom 

E84B38F8-D3FB-4FBA-B649-AE4E0EA438E2.jpeg

15 hours ago, tommoggy said:

It was ex motorbility. Only done 25000 miles. It was bought privately and to be honest I didn’t notice it on test drive.

i checked the battery tho this morning and it’s and AGM battery.
So should I take to a dealer to be checked? 

Do you want it fixing ? 

• Like 1

On 18/02/2020 at 21:42, bigjohn said:

• Battery on its way out

IIRC you can add 

Replacement battery not correctly coded to the car

• Like 1