Window washer fuse

I have had 3 window washer fuses blow in approximately 4 weeks.took it to main dealers who changed the fuse again . I can only think that this is due to the cold conditions we have been getting as it's been fine til recently. Is this a common fault on these models. I have put a stronger mix of windscreen wash in to see if this makes any difference.

i think i solved this by using slightly higher rated fuse..only because i didnt have the exact one....

It happens when the wife on her MK3 activates off the wipers when they are stuck to the windcreen.

Told her not to do this and peel them back first if frozen

Edited by Kobayashi

If the washer fluid is not strong enough to stop it freezing then what happens is:-

First time you use the washer the fuse blows rather than the pump burning out.

A stronger mix will help. The Lidl stuff was good but I haven't seen it for years.

The present stuff I use is -20 if used neat. I can just get away with mixing this 50/50.

Thanks AG Falco

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having an awful time with my Mk3 Fabia - washer bottle is full (with neat fluid), have tried everything I can think of so I’m thinking it could be a fuse? Will take it to my dealer tomorrow as I can’t risk not being able to see on these salty roads - especially with a 50 mile motorway commute. Don’t expect this from an 18 month old car. 

Can you hear the pump going when you operate the front washer?

Can you hear the pump going when you operate the rear washer?

If the answer to both is no then check the fuse.

The screen wash needed to be good for at least -10 C to stop it freezing here in Dorset last week.

Some off the shelf screen wash is only good for -5 C, even neat.

So you would need to have an empty washer bottle and fill it with 4.5 litres to get the strength up. ( Down ? )

The screen wash needs to be in the washer bottle and washed through the pipework before it gets cold.

Thanks AG Falco

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2018 at 12:20, Octy09 said:

Don’t expect this from an 18 month old car. 

Water or water and screen wash is the same in a new car, an 18 month old car or a 10 year old car. If its cold enough it will freeze.

4 hours ago, skidpan said:

Water or water and screen wash is the same in a new car, an 18 month old car or a 10 year old car. If its cold enough it will freeze.

Mine is only 8/9 months old and it froze up too, few days later when the temperature climbed into the plus' it carried on working as normal.

20 hours ago, skidpan said:

Are you saying the fuse will freeze? 

My point is that this issue only occurred on my car and not the two 9 yr old cars in our household. Same screen wash. 

What would help is a warning light to say that a fuse has blown, like they do with headlight bulbs etc. 

1 hour ago, Octy09 said:

Are you saying the fuse will freeze? 

My point is that this issue only occurred on my car and not the two 9 yr old cars in our household. Same screen wash. 

What would help is a warning light to say that a fuse has blown, like they do with headlight bulbs etc. 

Of course a fuse does not freeze.

Water will freeze in all cars but some cars have their washer bottles in exposed places, others have them in more protected locations. On my wifes Note its behind the bumper in the front corner of the car, it freezes very quickly and when driven at speed on motorways the wind chill helps it freeze quicker.

The warning light does not warn of a blown fuse, it warns of a blown bulb.

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

The warning light does not warn of a blown fuse, it warns of a blown bulb.

Yeah, that’s why I’m saying it would be a good idea if a warning light could inform that a fuse has blown.

1 hour ago, Octy09 said:

Yeah, that’s why I’m saying it would be a good idea if a warning light could inform that a fuse has blown.

If there was a warning light for every fuse in the box the dash would be covered.

Most of the time warning lights are pointless, they are simply ignored. That is why they are also known as idiot lights.

33 minutes ago, skidpan said:

If there was a warning light for every fuse in the box the dash would be covered.

Most of the time warning lights are pointless, they are simply ignored. That is why they are also known as idiot lights.

Doesn’t have to be for every fuse though. Could just be a warning to “check fuses”. Would make life easier for the end user.

If warning lights are ignored then it’s the idiot driver who’s the idiot for ignoring them innit... so I’m not sure they’re actually pointless...

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, RogerBest said:

Is there a separate pump for the headlight spray

Yes, but it uses the same washer container.

So back to checking your washer fuses.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

From the 2015 Owner's Manual - fuse "11 Headlight cleaning system", pdf copy of manuals from the following link if you've not got your paper printed copy. - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

mkm.jpg.2a3d74d3a20b8dec88018758be630934.jpg

Edited by nta16
  • Love it! 1