Help with bizarre pc networking problem?

wonkyewok

Can anyone help with what seems like a bizarre networking problem? It's an old pc running windows 10. An all-in-one Packard Bell with win 7 recovery partition, now with MS free Win 10 on top. It had been working fine - if slowly - but now after saying there was a problem with the ethernet driver, trying to repair it and then failing to boot a couple of times Windows has reset itself, keeping user files but wiping programs.

It won't connect via ethernet now - which makes sense as device manager shows it's still unhappy with the driver. But it can connect with wifi, and shows some traffic, but won't open any pages in a browser, not even 192.168.0.1

This is about the limit of my knowledge. Can anyone help? I've got a screenshot of the network connections from performance monitor, ipconfig, the browser failing to find 192.168.0.1 if that helps.

The owner would prefer not to have to buy a replacement unless this one's borked, though it is slow now (3 GB ram).

Thanks

Can you log into 192.168.0.1 with it connected direct to the router via a network cable?, or does the card still bounce the connection?. Have you tried sourcing a driver from the packard bell site with another pc, copying it to a memory stick and installing it to the packard bell?.

Does the all in one have a spare expansion slot to temporarily try another network card to rule out hardware failure?.

thanks. it doesn't see the wired network at all. I've not tried manually updating the driver via usb yet (if possible).

I'd also like to understand how it can connect via wifi but the browser not work.

it may have an internal slot - i can't remember. i don't think i have a network card but i guess they're not too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

go into control panel/add  remove programs/windows programs and make sure IE is installed this is usually the route of all evils in win 10 network faults once its working you can untick it again

• 3 weeks later...

So my mothers hp 635 laptop got upgraded from win7 to 10 (not by me...)

And forthe last week its dropped internet connection.

Ive had it all day today trying to get it to connect and it just wont.

Wired or wifi it says there is no valid ip configuration on the router. BS as literally 5 other devices are on the same wifi all day with no issues. 

Tried updating drivers, inc via usb, just says the latest are there.

Tried a network adapter fixing tool, its failed to resolve it.

I hate admitting it but i cant fathom this f&cker at all!

Anybody any ideas?

open a command prompt as admin

reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f

paste that and enter

then

netcfg -v -u dni_dne

and enter

restart and you should start detecting networks, did your mum have a VPN client installed at all? they are known to cause issues with Win 10 updates if so uninstall it.

Failing all that you can easily revert to win 7 by using the rollback option on system restore

No vpn, 

And it worked fine up to about 2weeks ago, going by the last AV definition date update it managed.

Ill try that command line later, ive done a couple of the netsh runs already to no avail.

It really wouldnt be the end of the world if i had to roll it back tbh,

Its a bit slow running 10 anyway, in my opinion..

• 2 weeks later...

REF PC dropping WIFI connection. I've had that recently on my PC. aSUSa55 board with Realtek Lan & Sound, with WIFI on a TP-LINK tl725 USB.  The first step was to update the TP LINKdriver, and next attempt to update the Realtek drivers on W10  update saw the WIFI connection disappear. I'd suggest that something in the w10 update was interfering with the TP LINKdrivers. Since then all has been well and tp link functions normally. 

I am not computer savvy so the following may have no relevance:

Symptoms:  Windows 10 PC  WiFi repeatedly dropping out;  Browser (Edge) not working;  Unable to perform a restore;  Other PC (Vista) connected to router functions OK.

Cure (eventually): Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by Robjon
Spelink

I did a win 10 restore and it worked fine after, except it wouldnt f'ing pickup on the restore image, so had to reinstall office, and have to try and find installers for some other ****e the mammy had going on. 

Pain in the hoop...

Luckily the "personal data" files photos etc are all intact, just the programmes to open some stuff are missing. 

I hate windows 10.

Realteck software usually has problems & win10 likes to drop the programmes as it thinks its better...so you have to manually reinstall realtek & tell win10 that this is your preferred programme..

Had huge problems with that when I did the initial win10 upgrade...

Had similar on W7.BUT on W7 ,it was possible to hide the update. I've not been able to do this, but I've found that removing all Realteck software ( TPLINK seems to connect OK without the LAN) ,moves W10 ONWARD.

• 1 year later...
On 04/04/2018 at 16:34, Robjon said:

I am not computer savvy so the following may have no relevance:

Symptoms:  Windows 10 PC  WiFi repeatedly dropping out;  Browser (Edge) not working;  Unable to perform a restore;  Other PC (Vista) connected to router functions OK.

Cure (eventually): Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport.

Hope this helps someone.

Latest symptoms: Bank pages either not loading or going to (what I assume is) machine code; Windows 10 not updating (hanging on "looking for updates"); Windows security scans not running; PC generally lethargic and jumpy...

Cure: Uninstall IBM Trusteer Rapport.   And this time it will remain uninstalled!

Someone on here once described Trusteer as "...a nasty, horrible little thing..."

And I've since discovered Which? advises against the use of Trusteer.

Lesson learnt!

All in one are a PITA to repair.

Consider a USB - Ethernet adapter - https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/usb-to-ethernet-adapter/fh9uv4w4akpk52r

Under a tenner on Amazon. It's not a proper fix but it's quick and simple and you have to value your time as well.