Sat nav option or smartlink?

Cb40

Hi.

Mrs cb40 and I are thinking of ordering a Monte Carlo and are wondering whether to add Sat nav as an option or just use the smartlink option with our android auto phone. 

We don't need Sat nav everyday just for going away on holiday etc. What are people's  thoughts on the smartlink? How easy is it to use? Can you program a destination while driving along using the radio screen like you can with Sat nav,  or do you really have to stop and program it with the phone

Thanks

If you are using android auto you can do it via the screen in the screen on the dash 

You can also say OK Google navigate me to etc etc 

I have three amundunsen and it's a clunky interface  compared to Google maps but 90% of oe sat navs are 

Mine came with the car as a free upgrade i probably would order it again 

Our lass doesn't use it she prefers the android auto but I prefer the maxi dot integration  of amundunsen  navigation 

I got a Monte Carlo estate last year without the Amundsen Nav option and use Android Auto without issue. As malcster says, the driver/passenger can type or speak the destination in the move if necessary and it will route plan. 

It also offers you 3 routes, let's you know of developing congestion en route and re-routes effectively.

As I said, I have never used Amundsen but my previous Ford Focus ST sat nav was dire in comparison and I don't think I'll ever order a factory nav system again if the car has Android Auto.

Hi

I have test driven a Skoda with Amundsen Nav fitted and personally I thought it was a waste of money.

I have used Apple Car Play in my Fabia but the problem is that if you loose the link to your Mobile the map is next to useless.

I have used a Tom Tom for many years and have always found it very accurate and also gives real time traffic information.

John

Smartlink all the way! I have a Monte Estate with smartlink, I use Apple CarPlay extensively everyday and for me it is seamless with navigating, listening to Apple Music, searching for anything by just saying “Hey Siri”, all the power of your phone brought up onto the dash with 4G connection. No built in navigation or infotainment software can compete. The prediction of IOS to know to auto route you home or to work based on location and time will just get better, also navigate to common places, it’s a bit like it has A.I. Shows road speed limits and accurate lane guidance. There’s too much to mention.

Only Skoda menus I use are the “Miles to Service” and the DAB radio, everything else is my CarPlay, especially now it has WhatsApp and Spotify.

i would be willing to try Android Auto though because I prefer Google Maps.

Our Superb has Smartlink and we use Android Auto with either Google Maps or Waze.

Every bit as good as built in Nav and always up to date free.

We prefer Waze since it shows speed and speed limits.

With AA you need a good mobile data allowance otherwise it can get expensive if you use it all the time.

Will use Smartlink in the Fabia we plan to order Saturday.

With android auto/google maps you can download an area at home via WiFi in to google maps.

You then don't need a data connection. This set up is not perfect but can get you out of trouble.

At/near home I struggle to get a phone signal let alone a data connection.

The area I have downloaded has my home in the centre and spreads out by 50 miles in every direction.

You can also download more than one area.

I have downloaded foreign areas ready for when I fly abroad somewhere.

Thanks AG Falco

I use Android Auto and Google maps and it works a treat for occasional use. I recently started using Waze (as it now supports Android Auto, unsurprising as Google bought Waze a while back), which I now prefer.  In any event about the only drawback is with Android Auto you must have you phone constantly attached to the car with a USB cable, but really that's a minor annoyance.