Replacing heater blower motor

Hi just a quickie. Is the heater blower motor on my mk3 behind the glovebox. And is it an easy change? 

I’ve changed them on a MK1 but not on a Mk3.

thanks in advance for any replies.

• 1 month later...

Need mine changing too, i got a grasshopper sound coming when in low med fan. Local dealer quoted £407.10,

its not even covered by Skoda warranty as its not counted as a failed component but been told its the bearings in the fan maybe dry but not failed as a whole.

crazy or what!?,

You haven't said which Skoda warranty (i.e manufacturer, used, aftermarket etc.) As this  does make a difference as to who provides the warranty.

There sems to be an increasingly common theme on here that items are not covered by a Skoda warranty of some kind :sadsmile:

I wonder how many will stick with the brand in the future after being told such information on prematurely failed components.

Yep,

i should have stated the warranty type as it sure would make a difference, but in this case it does not.

its a Skoda extended manufacturer warranty bought directly from Skoda. it does states it covers "failed" electric component but as its not failed its not covered. though failure is a matter of time.

I should have updated this thread. When I turned on the fan to full it still wouldn’t work properly, then it would stop, sometimes it would come on when I turned a corner and then go off. I decided it was the fan and not the resistor. I ordered a new one from TPS for £250. I don’t usually buy aftermarket parts and I was told there wasn’t one available anyway. Not sure if this is the case. Anyway I decided to fit it myself which took about 40 mins and wasn’t difficult. I’d done two before on a MK1. It was clear that the bearings had failed on the one I took out so I made the right call by going for the fan. As the car had done 106 000 Miles there was no chance of a warranty claim. I did thinks £250 was a bit steep but I have to have a working fan. Hope this info helps. My skoda dealer had quoted £350 but they couldn’t do it for two weeks.

Edited by Guadette

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2018 at 18:11, Guadette said:

I should have updated this thread. When I turned on the fan to full it still wouldn’t work properly, then it would stop, sometimes it would come on when I turned a corner and then go off. I decided it was the fan and not the resistor. I ordered a new one from TPS for £250. I don’t usually buy aftermarket parts and I was told there wasn’t one available anyway. Not sure if this is the case. Anyway I decided to fit it myself which took about 40 mins and wasn’t difficult. I’d done two before on a MK1. It was clear that the bearings had failed on the one I took out so I made the right call by going for the fan. As the car had done 106 000 Miles there was no chance of a warranty claim. I did thinks £250 was a bit steep but I have to have a working fan. Hope this info helps. My skoda dealer had quoted £350 but they couldn’t do it for two weeks.

Hi there. My demister motor is displaying the exact same symptoms. Could you possibly detail where the motor is and how difficult it is to locate and replace. All the mechanics are on holiday just now and as my car is a taxi it needs fixed ASAP. I can get the motor on eBay for £100. 

Thanks. That’s great news. I thought it was a dash out job. I’ve changed the motor on a Renault before and it was behind the glove box. 

£250 is a ridiculous price though. I’ve seen them for £100 on eBay. I’ll order one from there and hope it comes before the current one packs in. 

49 minutes ago, jjc said:

Hi,

Very easy to change, however there is a common fault of the brushes sticking so worth a quick look to see.

John

I’ve heard the bearings can go rough. This is what this sounds like. I might try to grease them if I can get it open. 

Tonight I did mine strange noises coming from the fan on low speed only when turning right!!!! 

Either way replaced it, literally 30 minutes ago, dead easy job.

1. remove glovebox

2. remove bottom foam cover to expose base of blower, x2 plastic screw to undo with your fingers

3. unplug two sockets from base of blower

4. undo x3 screws and x2 plastic clips simply push out . For guidance look at your new blower for exact positioning.

6. If struggling undo vent chamber held by one screw to make more space - not necessary really...

5. Swap module from old blower to new one.

6. Put new one in...complete all above in reverse.

Super simple, sound is gone, mine had definitely bearing gone. 

Strange, as it seems to be a problem on each Octavia revision....odd.....my car have 59k miles only...64plate.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

How an earth do you remove the glove box on a mk3 fabia ? It is built into and part of the dash.  I am certainly not spending a day removing the whole dash so i thought I would cut a hole in the back of the glove box and see if I can get to remove it that way.

6 minutes ago, htm139 said:

How an earth do you remove the glove box on a mk3 fabia ? It is built into and part of the dash.  I am certainly not spending a day removing the whole dash so i thought I would cut a hole in the back of the glove box and see if I can get to remove it that way.

Might be better to ask that question in the Mk3 Fabia forum instead of the Mk3 Octavia forum?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey, i just have a quick question for anybody who could know. I own skoda octavia mk III, 28k miles, year 2016, 1.6 TDI, 81kw. Bought from skoda plus and after roughly 3 weeks strange noise is coming from underneeath a dashboard. It happens only if the fan is on and im turning left or when im breaking (probably because of the angle of the car). I was thinking about bearing, if someone has any experience about this please let me know ☺️

Here u can hear that properly, notice that when i turn right that strange noise suddenly stops. 

Thank you.

• 2 years later...

I need to replace the blower in my 2015 Octavia estate. I found a great video that showed how to get at it, so no problem there.

I can buy what looks like a brand new exact replacement (same make and number) for about £100 online, but it comes without the the regulator board. That costs another £100!
Does anyone know if there's a way of testing which is faulty? I'd expect that it might be a case of putting a voltmeter across the wires going from the regulator to the motor and seeing if there's a voltage, but modern electrical gear never seems to be that simple! That is, I can imagine the regulator board being able to detect a short in the motor winding and shutting down to protect itself.
It may be that I have to just bite the bullet and buy both. . .

IMG_20240222_112058.jpg

IMG_20240222_112108.jpg

IMG_20240222_112339.jpg

This little snippet on Euro car parts site may answer my question:
"Most heater motors are powered by a basic electrical circuit that utilizes a multi resistor or a solid state resistor to control different fan speeds (low, medium & high). If the resistor malfunctions then only circuit remaining is the high speed setting."

But then, this is the same site that reckons my 2015-registered car was built in 2016!