Karoq 4x4 in the Snow

Woody37

8 hours ago, Woody37 said:

I just drove the Karoq myself in snow, with ice underneath as well in our ungritted Avenue (Croydon Council ignore us because we vote wrongly - just send money).

Woody

AArrrrgggghhhhh!!!!......Croydon Council.....I lived down there...years ago...well I am a Londoner...& I remember a few bad winters & we had to grit our hill to get out....RWD Volvo with chains & reverse up the hill....that was fun...

Do you really have Bridgestone Duellers?

I had those chunky AT big boys on a Pajero (Shogun) when I worked far away a few years ago, but I’ve never seen them used in UK.

They were chunkier than a Toblerone.

ps - Winter tyres didn’t help this morning either

8775B22E-FE7E-4190-B625-EABF66590BC4.jpeg

Bridgestone Duelers come in different flavours.

Like the rubbish Suzuki have fitted as OEM for 19 years to the Jimny.

The ones on the Karoq i had out in the snow a couple of weeks ago were terrible.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Sorry, no, just looked and they are Bridgestone Turanza T001s.

I wasn't with the car until today (I was in Tenerife - sob) and knew they were Bridgestones, but rather grabbed at the Dueller suggestion.

Anyhow, they are performing very well and I was already pleased with the standard fit choice by Skoda as opposed to rock hard Michelins or similar.

Woody

As long as you like them because they are a summer tyre, but then Skoda / VW Group think that is OK for the UK.

Michelin CrossClimate + are not rock hard and it is a real shame they can not be a Factory option.

Or any other good All Weather / 3 peak tyres that would suit the UK and visits to Continental Europe and can stay on all year..

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

As long as you like them because they are a summer tyre, but then Skoda / VW Group think that is OK for the UK.

Michelin CrossClimate + are not rock hard and it is a real shame they can not be a Factory option.

Or any other good All Weather / 3 peak tyres that would suit the UK and visits to Continental Europe and can stay on all year..

There's a very good reason why the CrossClimates+ tyres can't be a standard fit option on the 18 and 19" Karoq wheels which I think you already know!

Twice yesterday I nearly came to grief whilst turning on a roundabout. Fortunately on both occasions there was nothing on the roundabout, but the car just carried on straight - and I was going very very slowly. Never had any issues whatsoever with my Kuga winter tyres (Dunlop SP Winter Sport -again 19"). Definitely need to sell my Ford winter wheel/tyres ASAP to fund a decent set for the Karoq. 

Horacecoker,

Yes, because Skoda / VW never bothered about specing UK models for the UK as suits the needs. 

They can type approve the wheels / tyre they want to be fitting for markets. 

18's / 19's are a style over function purchase anyway with the UK NSL's 60 / 70 MPH.

Potholed roads.

'Simply Clever'.

So lets see what the UK Governments of Scotland, England, Wales & Northern Ireland come up with after these Red Weather warnings are past, 

and the discussion is want this 10 days cost the UK Economy. 

Maybe after March 2019 the DfT / DVSA / Governments will start looking at UK requirements on Tyres to suit UK Weather, 

and Manufacturers will take things more seriously.

Edited by AwaoffSki

So, does anyone know what tyres are fitted as standard to the Karoq if purchased in the Czech Republic? If it means dropping down to 18" wheels to get decent four season tyres then so be it, but I can't say I've much confidence in the Bridgestones.

• Like 1

I think Bridgestones are poor in summer for grip never mind winter, I am looking at 4 season tyres already or may put winter tyres on next winter,and I am still waiting for the car to be built.

I think the choice of all season tyres is really limited for the Skoda 19" wheels, as has already been mentioned. I presume your 4x4 edition will have the 19" wheels Karman? That's why I'm interested in know what the rest of Europe have fitted as standard on the same Karoq where they generally have much more severe winters.

It's pointless asking the dealers or Skoda UK, as they'll know diddlysquat, apart from them being black, rubbery, and round.  For what use the Bridgestones are so far in the snow, I might as well have a string of sausages strapped to each of the alloys!

Planning to buy another set of 17" alloys (Skoda or 3rd party maybe) and stick a set of CrossClimate+ on. Can't find anything suitable for this weather on the standard 19"s, so will just swap them out for the winter set next year.

23 minutes ago, cjrp said:

Can't find anything suitable for this weather on the standard 19"s, so will just swap them out for the winter set next year.

ContiWinterContact TS830P are available in either 225/45R19 or 245/40R19.

Sorry, should have said "anything suitable for this weather and the rest of the year" :biggrin: I don't like swapping tyres on and off the same rims, would rather get another set for winter and swap the whole wheel off. Also means 5 fewer months for me to introduce my nice 19" alloys to our local kerbstones.

1 hour ago, cjrp said:

Planning to buy another set of 17" alloys (Skoda or 3rd party maybe) and stick a set of CrossClimate+ on. Can't find anything suitable for this weather on the standard 19"s, so will just swap them out for the winter set next year.

I have crossclimate+ on my Octy estate as I thought they'd have better grip than the Skoda supplied tyres but I don't find them very good at all in wet weather.  Wheel spin galore when pulling away from junctions.  I'm going to get some  17" Skoda anthracite wheels and winter tyres in Autumn for the Karoq and just swap as and when.  

Edited by Englando
Correction

On 03/03/2018 at 15:40, Englando said:

I have crossclimate+ on my Octy estate as I thought they'd have better grip than the Skoda supplied tyres but I don't find them very good at all in wet weather.  Wheel spin galore when pulling away from junctions.  I'm going to get some  17" Skoda anthracite wheels and winter tyres in Autumn for the Karoq and just swap as and when.  

odd, I have had cross climates on my Octy for three years  now, never had any wheel spin at all.