Snapped Door Protector

• 11 months later...

I had a problem with the rear offside one. Something has come loose inside the door quite a big job. Skoda dealer said it was not covered by warranty, I talked to customer support who agreed to pay for it. The door protector itself wasn't damaged.

• Like 1

I'd find it difficult to swallow if the damage was inside the door i.e. not something that can be knocked or damaged by passengers, and Skoda tried to claim it wasn't covered under warranty.

The actual door edge protectors themselves are very vulnerable, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to Skoda UK that they generate a lot of complaints and general dissatisfaction.

Glad they did the right thing here and agreed to fix the fault for free.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2019 at 09:53, richardha said:

I had a problem with the rear offside one. Something has come loose inside the door quite a big job. Skoda dealer said it was not covered by warranty, I talked to customer support who agreed to pay for it. The door protector itself wasn't damaged.

I had the same problem on my Kodiaq as well, 2018 model. I've had issues with the Skoda dealership here so I didn't bother checking if it is covered under warranty, I know they would try to charge me some bull**** fee for it.

Buy new one and replace...

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/565831176-edge-protector-for-front-right-door-skoda-35496.html

My 2020 kodiaq does not have it from factory, but I will order kit for all dors. in same site all kit cost 324eur, not so much to protect your doors and paint on them! :) 

11 minutes ago, Slavixs said:

Buy new one and replace...

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/565831176-edge-protector-for-front-right-door-skoda-35496.html

My 2020 kodiaq does not have it from factory, but I will order kit for all dors. in same site all kit cost 324eur, not so much to protect your doors and paint on them! :) 

not worth 324 eur in my opinion 

cheaper to have the paint touched up if you dinked it. plus don’t they give more protection to other people’s cars than your own. 

• Like 1

They are less about protecting your car and more about protecting other peoples cars.

The only way you as the owner is going to benefit is if you regularly park close to walls and have young kids, are overweight or it is windy.

• 4 weeks later...

Was at the dealer and asked why new kodiaq don't hawe those... :D  they told that it was crappy system, a lot of problems and manufactury canceled them to install on cars... I now also think that better to spend money in different way! :D not worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 07/12/2018 at 10:41, DarrylSmith said:

The exact same thing happened to me, 2 weeks after delivery from brand new! The dealer said that it must have been through misuse and want to charge me £250+ to repair it. I am not happy and I am currently arguing with them about it.

Hi guys, they are only €10 plus VAT and postage directly from Skoda—parts.com 

5D41E15A-647C-4300-9F6B-B1C4A979AD18.png

For replacement of the broken ones I mean, not the kit.

I’ve replaced mine and it’s easy. Just remove the remaining piece that’s on the arm that protrudes from the door. Then put the door into a position which extende the stub, pull out the spring loaded arm further with a pliers and jam it with a flat screwdriver in the wee slot.  Then new edge protector clicks into place as you push against the jammed arm.

• 4 months later...

Ours popped off unexpectedly. Dealer refitted without charge. They are very effective in protecting door edges. We paid cash for our car so tend to be protective of our investment. Leased cars are like rented flats someonelses problem and they account for a large proportion of car ownership these days. Many will treat as their own the majority probably not.

When I ordered my Kodiaq I asked about getting the door protectors fitted as they look like a great idea, and was told they are not an option any more as they have an issue with then falling off so have stopped fitting them for the time being.

22 hours ago, Strasbourg said:

Sign of out times. Careless of other folks property. 

Next time please take a breath after first pint and read the whole comment, not only first sentence.

7 hours ago, Billywizzo said:

When I ordered my Kodiaq I asked about getting the door protectors fitted as they look like a great idea, and was told they are not an option any more as they have an issue with then falling off so have stopped fitting them for the time being.

Not sure which dealer told you that, but I fear they're confused.

The door protectors were standard across all Kodiaq's, reinforcing Skoda's 'Simply Clever' strapline and formed a big part of the Kodiaq's launch material.

As with all manufacturers, over time they look to save costs, and as a result they're no longer standard and instead are a factory fitted cost option only as part of the 'Family Pack'.

18 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Not sure which dealer told you that, but I fear they're confused.

The door protectors were standard across all Kodiaq's, reinforcing Skoda's 'Simply Clever' strapline and formed a big part of the Kodiaq's launch material.

As with all manufacturers, over time they look to save costs, and as a result they're no longer standard and instead are a factory fitted cost option only as part of the 'Family Pack'.

That is what I was told when ordering my car.
They might have been wrong or misinformed I guess, but it would have been another extra I would have added so I don’t know why they would have put me off getting them.

Here you go, it's a £180 factory option on all models of the current Kodiaq...

image.png.2584993d460f9cbdc034a5f30f0a76ff.png

Unfortunately, much as we'd like them to be, Skoda franchised dealers often aren't the most knowledgeable about the products they sell.

As this thread alludes to though, you're really not missing much, a lot would argue you're better off without them.

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Here you go, it's a £180 factory option on all models of the current Kodiaq...

image.png.2584993d460f9cbdc034a5f30f0a76ff.png

Unfortunately, much as we'd like them to be, Skoda franchised dealers often aren't the most knowledgeable about the products they sell.

As this thread alludes to though, you're really not missing much, a lot would argue you're better off without them.

Too late for me to add them now. That’s what happens when you listen to a dealer 😂

• Like 1

Mine has snapped twice now, passenger front door every time. They told me it must have got caught in an item of clothing or something the first time (possible, but shows a what a crap design it is) but i have noticed on the driver side it also has failed to jump back in quick enough and got stuck a couple times (lucky i didn't push the door hard enough to snap it). I've not bothered replacing it since, they're cool to have but pointless if they're not engineered and implemented correctly, clearly they're not IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Had one snap off on the front passenger door when my wife tried to shut the door. If was at night so dark, when she went to close the door it failed to retracted stopping the door from closing so she slammed it shut :wall:  and said nothing of it. Found it on the floor in the morning and yes it did damage the paint work. Its in for its second service in the morning, they said they'd take a look at it but I'm not holding my breath. I give up caring about the paint work, wife drives it 95% of the time and its covered in dents and scratches due to idiots in car parks and her inability to walk the extra few steps to avoid this happening.