Odd rattling that sounds like driving over a manhole cover

Fabia has decided to present me with another strange new noise.

driving along, sometimes if hit a pot hole, or more likely where workmen have put a trench across the road, filled it in, and it results in a dip in the surface, I get a strange noise.

it sounds very similar to when you drive over a loose man hole cover, and sounds to be coming from just behind the drivers seat. 

Had a look underneath, but nothing hanging off, or seeming to be loose

Cheers, I will have a look tomorrow... is it obvious if the spring is broken? Guessing it’s a fairly expensive job to get done, looking at other posts I’m not even going to attempt to change a spring 

@Wench - A broken spring on a VAG car is probably right up at the pig ear so needs a "proper look", not a glance.

Changing rear springs takes maybe half an hour each: Fronts take longer because of the need to remove the strut and then use spring compressors to get the old spring out and new one in.

What happened on mine when the front spring snapped was that it snapped right at the bottom and the loose piece was lying in the spring cup and making metallic jingling noises over bumps.

Well I’ve had a quick investigation of spring today, both front ones look the same.

is there anywhere In Paticular I need to have a good poke at to find if it’s broken/loose?

I'm sure that on a complete spring, the top "end" is directly above the bottom "end" - so if that is not the case with the OP's spring, then a section of the spring has broken off.  Okay a bit could also have broken off the "other" end as well, but I think that that would just increase the distance the ends are apart relative to each other.

Perhaps another daft question, if it is the spring that’s gone, will I do a lot of damage if it’s not fixed. I can’t get to my normal trustworthy garage (or any garage tbh) for a good while

Not sure about a furby but my wife drove around on a broken rear spring in her Mazda for around 2 weeks before I got to look at it. It was broke at the bottom like the pic. It had a very high pitched rattle on all roads except very smooth. Very easy to change with basic tools. 

Think I’ve managed to find a reputable garage where I’m currently working. Will try calling them tomorrow see if they can get it up on their ramp to see what’s going off