Skoda Fabia water in headlights..

Hello guys..

I took my Fabia Redline back to the dealer today with water in headlight issues... according to the dealer and Skoda, it is normal operation but I strongly do not feel that its normal and when it comes to the MOT, it can be a MOT failure if it affects the headlight operations...

Here is the reply from my dealer with in regards to the issue.

"

Good Afternoon

We have had a look at your car and have found there was no water present in the headlights, nor did either headlight have broken seals. All rubbers around the headlights are attached as normal. There is a relevant TPI released from Skoda stating that the headlight steaming up/ dampness is normal operation.

The car will be delivered back later on this afternoon.

Thank you"

I am considering on writing to Skoda about this issue, has anyone had any issues with water in their headlights?  Not really something I wanted after spending 16K on the car!

Many thanks! 

When there is more than just dampness / moisture you can have them deal with the H20 / mould or whatever, because they have the TPI, 

and water in the headlight is an issue the Master Tech will have seen.

The first MOT is a long way off, you have services before that and be sure to have warranty issues dealt with then.

& have the MOT carried 1 month before the 3 years from for registration, you get a 13 month MOT,

and any issues that come as a fail or advisory at the MOT can be addressed under the Warranty.

What  type of headlight do you have? We have the standard headlights in out Fabia and no moisture or dampness, my sister-in-law has the projector headlamps and they suffer from moisture. I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of DRL's , we run with DRLs on all the time, and they are standard filament bulbs which are bright and therefore HOT. Projector headlamps have LED DRLs which run a lot cooler. So I'm wondering if the filament DRL's dry the moisture out.

9 hours ago, thamestrader said:

What  type of headlight do you have? We have the standard headlights in out Fabia and no moisture or dampness, my sister-in-law has the projector headlamps and they suffer from moisture. I wonder if it has anything to do with the use of DRL's , we run with DRLs on all the time, and they are standard filament bulbs which are bright and therefore HOT. Projector headlamps have LED DRLs which run a lot cooler. So I'm wondering if the filament DRL's dry the moisture out.

From looking at photos of Redline headlights it looks as though they have non projector headlights but LED DRLs, which, I assume is the latest configuration.

Have some water condensation  on the lense on the nearside foglighte  the other side is ok. I did graze the bumper on that side a while ago no apparent damage to the light.

The cars going in for its first MOT could it be a fail as the light coming from it seems ok Joe

Edited by JoePeddos

I have the projector type headlights with the 4 x H7 bulbs and the LED side/DLR light bulbs in them.

My DLR's are turned off permanently, but I don't get water in the headlights.

I also park outside in the country where it is cold and damp.

It also might depend on the length of your your average journey and whether you have any lights on.

Thanks AG Falco

Would not have thought so.

Just like driving fast in the rain?

Unless you are pressure washing the inside of the headlight from the engine bay.

Thanks AG Falco

My headlights mist up after jet washing for a couple of days afterwards, although I've only actually jet washed my Monte estate twice in over a year! My days of excessive car cleaning are over :D 

Edited by Jedispooner

It depends on just how much water you are talking about. A moderate amount (ie, condensation) is harmless and can be normal (under certain ambient conditions). Remember headlamp assemblies are not airtight.

If you have a lot of water in the headlight (ie, it's sloshing around in them), that this is also a Good Thing, as it will keep your bulbs clean.

• Haha 1