towbar mounted bike carrier on a long motorway trip

Hello,

We're considering making longer trip (600km one way) during spring break, and I was thinking to take our bicycles with us (2 adults 1 child) - there is a place nearby that rents Thule equipment and they have a  good price on a VeloCompact 926/927 (much cheaper than renting bicycles at our destination).

(I might even buy the carrier if it works well).

As it'd be the 1st time for me to use such a thing, couple of questions:

• overall is it a sane idea to take the bikes this way (motorway speeds) - is it designed for this as I imagine driving at 80kmh with 3bikes on for 1hr is one thing, and driving at 130kmh for 5 hrs is another
  • would it stress/drag the car, what's the impact on drivability/balance of the car, would it cause significant increase in fuel consumption etc.

Sorry if those questions are naive,

thanks,

Tiv

I had the Thule EuroClassic tow bar bike rack for over decade. No problems using what so ever.   No additional drag, mpg increase or handling problems (just remember it’s on the back when reversing).

You can get quite a lot of spray at the back of the car so the bikes can get dirty if it starts raining but that’s the only issue I can think of but you could always cover the bikes in plastic sheeting if you wanted, I never bothered. 

If you're thinking of buying one then also look at the Atera Strada too. 

I have used a Bosal tow bar mounted bike rack to take 2 adult, cheap not lightweight, bikes from Manchester to Isle D'oleron in France and back a few times with no problems. In fact I found that the bikes prevented the rear screen of my Octavia II Estate getting as dirty as usual when it rained. Like Cward I had no problem at motorway speeds with either the car's handling or the bike rack moving.

You do need to be aware of the maximum permissible load on the tow bar and make sure that you are below it. Also be aware that the wheels of the bikes may extend past the sides of the car. A bike rack that tilts backwards so that you can access the boot with the bikes on board is very useful.

I have used a towbar mounted rack on two Octavias. Currently got an aluminium Thule rack, no tools required to mount it and has integrated  lighting and easy drop down to access the luggage  area via a foot pedal . Not cheap however, but easy to mount and securely attach bikes. 

Down side is that the mpg is well down. 30% or so at motorway speeds. I speak from experience and would recommend this way of carrying bikes.

I'm sure it's perfectly safe, just ensure the bike is locked to the carrier sufficiently (having seen some internet videos of people trying to nick em of cars in traffic).

I used a rear carrier for a while with my mountain bike (which has disc brakes) and I found the crap that the brakes started squealing more and were less effective and I ended up swapping out the pads a number of times.  I could only put it down to the crap washing up the back of the car in the wet. When I went back to a roof mount the issue went away.

I use Thule 9503 (I think) which is tow bar mounted. Its the best option for safety in my opinion especially at high speeds, I personally haven't noticed any decrease in mpg (Although there is a little due to increased weight of bikes and passengers)

I’d assume the tow bar and a quility rack made by Thule will be fine at 130kph on motorways, as said check and double check bikes whenever you stop, put a few extra cam straps round everything, remove any accessories from bikes, I think a cover would just rip off about 50kph so don’t bother covering, definitely a cable lock though everything, take speed humps/ramps slow!

I run a Atera strada 4 bike rack as well as roof mounted carriers. For local use I use the roof carriers as they are lighter and easier to handle and the mpg losses  aren’t so bad. For longer distance trips, the Atera comes out as it has less of an impact on fuel economy. However, the more weight added out back the more you feel it during a drive.  A couple of bikes are fine but four bikes on the rack is noticeable. Plus it’s difficult to arrange the bikes so that rubs don’t occur. Pipe lagging helps there. 

Also, with my rather long mountain bike, the front wheel is pulled by the airstream down the side of the car at high speeds and can turn a bit in the lashing point above 60mph.  Just keep the speed down below 70 or add more straps.

Don’t bother covering the bikes when moving. It will be like having a parachute attached. Use a cover when parked up though! 

2C6F735B-F4B3-4EE2-A60D-5BA74DA452B5.jpeg

We use a thule 9708 four bike hang on rack and have never had a problem on long motorway trips.  However I have fitted grayston spring assistors to the back of the car and they definitely made a difference, preventing sag and firming everything up under load.