Aftermarket spare wheel options

Panther_uk

Yes, just like that.  No wheel well, the skinny spare just sits on the floor.

8AA3E5EA-00C8-438E-8F20-6836AA6CB554.thumb.jpeg.f262c417bc36273c202b35948776de7f.jpeg

F84445D9-0243-4BB7-871C-E55EC3299A14.thumb.jpeg.ce8a2704fc42c1fdcbaa05bc26caee3f.jpeg

Note amount of room around the spare.  That allows a proper sized tyre to fit in nicely and this is my plan for full sized spare.

A5D44431-16B1-4A09-86B8-DB5CD1EC4B76.thumb.jpeg.043c091b387986d3dfff586af5f6afcb.jpeg

Just got to sort out how to sort out supporting the floor either side of the wheel in there.

269AE6E8-903C-4DAB-A16E-1287908D8AAD.thumb.jpeg.81e396ea393b2eb5c9aad2a86519a8d6.jpeg

PS But remember mine is a 4x4 version so my floor is a good bit higher because of the 4x4 gubbins. 

Edited by DSL

Thanks you very much for sending the pictures, the karoq I have has a wheel well, so hopefully purchasing this kit will raise the floor level but will be flat and level.

To support your floor may I suggest the use of polystyrene insulation block which is easily cut with a knife to the shape you require.

Just had a measure of the polystyrene bit of the spare wheel fitting kit and it’s 10.0cm deep.  That should let you see where the boot floor will sit with the wheel in there.  If it was me, I’d bung the Ratikon you have in there and see where 10cm above the side bits of the floor will take you wrt the side wall of the tyre. 

Just, literally, got my tyres mounted on the 2 spares, wish mine would fit as well.  Somehow don’t think this isn’t a long term solution!!

F852C2E5-57F8-4378-BBA2-9BDF41D8237E.thumb.jpeg.0b714e2dcdf513f92751188ea5967cce.jpeg

Had a search but can’t find the answer but are the polystyrene parts available without all the jack bits and pieces?  Thinking one set on top of the other would fit the bill for my needs, plus would provide a few cubby holes for bits and bobs to fit in.  

PS Found it, 57A093860A.  

75269542-9E52-4E22-8A2A-D8925196C8D2.jpeg.79a5ff062ff6408a89514306e2b28554.jpeg

Edited by DSL

Agreed, will have a think as to whether it’s worth that.  Also as my local dealer (Inverness) has closed it’s not quite as simple.  Might see what Horton can do.  

The part number for the kit is 57A093860A.

As I said before I have a 2wd and this kit is basically for the 4wd but does if you are using a full size wheel on the 2wd.This kit comes complete with tools.

Is there a car scrap yard near you, you may be able to just pick up the polystyrene bits at a fraction of the price.

The other option is go to B&Q they have polystyrene loft insulation blocks ,use your existing polystyrene as a template and cut o size.

Thirdly phone Skoda customers services  and ask them if they could provide you with these parts, they are very helpful 

16010263722126654523348157240045.jpg

16010264056353978032113204521923.jpg

Why not find some thick polystyrene blocks used for packaging and stick them together to form spacers the right height. Place under the trays you have already  to support at correct height.

They can be filed to the correct thickness and should cost nothing. Then when you lift the floor it will look as though it was  meant to be like that.

Once correct stuck them to the tray underside so it all lifts out in one piece.

Looks like I’ll be going down the cheap route.  100mm thick insulation board/kingspan, cut to the shame of the fitted pieces then fix the factory fitted pieces on top.  And much cheaper!!!  Plus I’ve got a Travis Perkins just up the road.  Plan starting to come together, thanks for the advice.    :thumbup:

Oh, and winter tyres now on the rims and said rims on the car so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D

Edited by DSL
  • Love it! 1

Silly question maybe, but I have ordered a spare kit for my 4x4 with the space saver.

If I ever use it does the cover still sit on the full size wheel which will need to go in the boot?

In the Yeti the cover had a hinge arrangement to let it sit flat but higher.

Slightly concerning as the car will regularly do long trips to Norfolk from Leeds and full of luggage. So with the normal punctured wheel in the boot will the floor not be supported properly to hold the luggage? Sitting on wheel in centre but sides not supported around wheel?

With a full size wheel the the boot mat will sit on the wheel but there is no support on the side or back, that's why u need to add extra packing to raise the level of the existing  polystyrene to the level of the wheel.

16010355883304392753771827075992.jpg

Sound like you’re trying to do what I’m trying, the boot floor will sit like below.  You’ll loose 10cm in boot depth.   I’ll be supporting the sides better once the polystyrene/kingspan is under the black pieces.  I’ll also get a piece of pipe to extend the plastic disk piece so it supports the load.  Then I’ll be able to load up the boot properly and should support the stuff whatever tyre is in there.

image.jpeg.b044ad5911c1cddf9db1c641db64df22.jpeg

Karoq Sportline spare wheel sorted today. 18” temp spare new and unused from a 20 reg Karoq £40 plus fitting kit from ŠKODA dealer at £90. Have retained original emergency repair kit and will replace In vehicle and easily sell full spare wheel kit at end of my personal lease. £130 for peace of mind.

08D73868-901E-4F96-B61D-08E12672924B.jpeg

B6E16683-8E89-415F-AE95-973595720FD5.jpeg

I don't have a spare wheel, it takes too much space from the boot, as the 4x4 has no well for it.

Also, the last flat I've had was over 40 years ago.
Also, loose nails aren't used much these days.
Also, at my age, changing a wheel isn't an easy task. I'd need to call for help anyway.

-------------------------------

Today, on my walk, I found two sparking wood screws on the road I regularly drive on.

:sweat:

Edited by agedbriar

I thought like that and have not had a spare wheel in Yetis for last 10 years. Had 4 punctures i that time, fortunatley 3 on drive noticed next day. Still a pain to get fixed.

However have just fitted a space saver kit to my new Karoq 4x4 and it is nowhere near as bad for taking space as that in the Yeti. For a start it is a true spacesaver and much narrower than the Yeti standard spare which was still limited to 50 as different to other wheeels.

Now if i have a flat out of hours the AA can fit the spare, you can only realistically get a wheel repaired or replaced during working hours.

I did have a blow out on A38 once and AA took me and wheel to Kwik fit to get a new tyre. Don't know what would have happened out of hours. Very time consuming to be relayed home if no spare.

I would also think twice before changin a wheel at side of road now.

It’s the time consuming side that dictates I want to carry a full spare.  I do regular(ish) 560 mile drives and getting a puncture on one of those would mean trying to get a tyre replaced mid trip, turning a one day drive to at least one & a half, if not two, day haul.  Plus chances are it’ll be a Sunday so less options.  No, full spare swapped, by RAC or me, and journey continues without too much hassle.  Then sort out replacing or repairing puncture pretty much at my leisure.  I don’t mind the extra depth it takes up in the boot by fitting it to the skinny spare mount, means it’s properly secured and not going to shift around.  

I know it’s risk vs consequences and last time I had a non off-roading puncture was a long time ago but not worth worrying about having to cope with skinny spare if I got a puncture in what could be pretty extreme conditions.  :thumbup:

On 30/09/2020 at 15:55, Bobspence said:

B6E16683-8E89-415F-AE95-973595720FD5.jpeg

Is that a Yeti wheel well?  At least it’s got a sensible tie down eye, sadly lacking in the Karoq.

Coming of the question about spare wheel kit ,gasanyone fitted a rain wind screen visor to there windows.I am  finding that when it's been raining and you open the windows the rain drop from the roof come straight in and run along the sill and drop on the window buttons.

2 hours ago, DSL said:

Is that a Yeti wheel well?  At least it’s got a sensible tie down eye, sadly lacking in the Karoq.

It’s a 2 wheel drive Karoq Sportline. The wheel centre security bolt comes with the fitting kit and helps support boot floor.