Aftermarket spare wheel options

Panther_uk

On 5/5/2018 at 18:23, Karman said:

To those who say “you don’t need a spare I’ve never had a puncture”, well I had my first puncture in it today just 2 weeks in from collecting it. :worried:  Sooooo glad I ordered my spare. :)

I haven't had a spare wheel in the last 10 years of motoring. I have had umpteen punctures in that time and in every case it has been a nail, screw or one time a huge bolt in the tyre. In all cases I have never used the gunk or needed a spare wheel because the puncture has been 'slow' and I was able to get it fixed. Extreme punctures where the tyre is near instantly flat are very, very rare. And in that case I would phone my breakdown cover. If  I had a spare I would still phone my breakdown cover as the days of changing wheels at the side of the road are well and truly over. For most folk those days never even started.  

On 12/05/2018 at 07:41, Horacecoker said:

For most folk those days never even started.  

Had to show my 21yr old son the other day how to change a wheel !

They will never know the pain !!

On 11/05/2018 at 14:05, westie38 said:

Hi Panther-uk, when you ordered the above chunk of polystyrene, was there an option to buy a right hand side to it?

As far as I know for the 4x2 Karoq at least there is only one side that has the poly insert.

Thanks Panther_uk. Sods law being what it is, now I'm without a proper spare tyre, I've got my 1st puncture (slow) in donkey's years. The good news is that the TPMS works great and has flagged up a warning three times now. The system even informs you of which corner it is, even though I've been assured that the Skoda TPMS does not rely on individual wheel pressure sensors but works on the ABS castellated hub. I couldn't see anything amiss with the tyre on the first two occasions, but when the warning came up today I just ran some soapy water over the tyre which eventually showed up the really slow leak, fortunately in the centre of the tyre width. Just for info, on each warning occasion, the pressure had gone down from 2.7 to 2.5 Bar ( 39 to 36 psi  ish). 

Edited by westie38

I Have to feel sorry for my som, he's had two flats in two weeks (both back tyres), and he has no spare. the most annoying thing is that both front's NEED changing :@

I feel his pain - it turned out that as well as the very slow puncture in the centre (which would've been an easy fix), I had a nail or bit of wire in the corner/sidewall on the same tyre, so it had to be replaced today. So, £185 lighter, but hopefully all's well now. 

Just for info, if anyone's thinking of getting the pukka spare wheel/kit/poly surround & replacement floor piece, be prepared to fork out an eye watering £500+. I'm sure Mike won't mind me revealing the this, as the price is what the price is. I presume that if you order the wheel at the time of specifying your car build, the price is reduced due to offsetting other bits as well as the obvious compressor and bottle of gunk.

14 hours ago, westie38 said:

Just for info, if anyone's thinking of getting the pukka spare wheel/kit/poly surround & replacement floor piece, be prepared to fork out an eye watering £500+.

Is that for the 4x4 ? Skoda quoted me £260 for the full kit (no replacement floor needed) for the 4x2. Ordering the spare at the time of ordering the car it works out about £150 !!

Yes, that's specifically for the 4x4 Karoq. It has a very shallow spare wheel well, so requires an even deeper polystyrene infill. This then makes it necessary for a different floor piece with a hardboard (?) backing to replace the flimsy bit of insulation and carpet. I suppose on the plus side, when it comes to selling the car, you could put the original bits back in and try to recoup some of the cost by selling it separately on the Bay of E.   

4 hours ago, westie38 said:

I suppose on the plus side, when it comes to selling the car, you could put the original bits back in and try to recoup some of the cost by selling it separately on the Bay of E.   

That's exactly my thinking, when my lease finishes I'll sell the spare wheel etc.

Can't think how stupid my Karoq would look with the space saver on though :ohmy:

How does it work with the breakdown cover provided by Skoda? Presumably they won't replace a tyre in the event of a serious puncture, but just take you to your destination and then it's up to you?

My daughter had a puncture last year in my wife's Mini. The foam stuff didn't work, so we had to call out a local mobile tyre service, which cost about £130.

I didn't think to add a spare when I ordered my Karoq, and wasn't able to change the order afterwards. I'll try to source an alternative when I get the car.

Edited by Kainey54

16 hours ago, Kainey54 said:

How does it work with the breakdown cover provided by Skoda? Presumably they won't replace a tyre in the event of a serious puncture, but just take you to your destination and then it's up to you?

My daughter had a puncture last year in my wife's Mini. The foam stuff didn't work, so we had to call out a local mobile tyre service, which cost about £130.

I didn't think to add a spare when I ordered my Karoq, and wasn't able to change the order afterwards. I'll try to source an alternative when I get the car.

Same boat as you, gutted I couldn’t add it on. Even for such a minor thing. 

Has anyone removed the gunk and padding from below the boot floor thereby lowering the floor further, then got a generic spare wheel kit (to fit the Karoq like this one  https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/skoda-karoq-18-space-saver-spare-wheel-lifting-jack-and-wheel-brace.html) and strapped it to the side of the boot?  Seems like another way to go and gaining boot height. 

Edited by Englando

Could someone who has a Skoda supplied jack please post a picture - particularly of the top end? The jack at the Wheel Shop looks like a standard scissor jack but does it match the Karok jacking point? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

John, did you ever get sorted with a picture of the Karoq scissor jack? My spare wheel and all the other bits arrived today. Let me know if you still need a photo of the jack.

On 4/20/2018 at 20:42, Bas1234 said:

Didn't get a spare with my Karoq all I could get was a 17" space saver off the internet, although my Edition has 19" wheels I have been told that the 17" is ok as a spacesaver as you are allowed a percentage difference in size as long as you change it asap. Anyone know anything about this.

All the Karoq wheel/tyre combinations have the same rolling diameter, so no matter which size wheels your car came with, the spare wheel will have the same rolling diameter.

Westie - No I haven't seen a picture. It would be great if you could post a piccy, particularly of the top end. Many thanks.

Edited by JohnD5314

@westie38 did you get your spare wheel after buying the car? when did you order it?  we have been waiting to hear from Skoda and our dealer as to when the spare wheels will be available, not heard anything so be interested to know - thanks 

2 hours ago, JohnD5314 said:

Westie - No I haven't seen a picture. It would be great if you could post a piccy, particularly of the top end. Many thanks.

There you go no special end just lift from middle of jack

20180606_132302.jpg

18 minutes ago, Peddy said:

There you go no special end just lift from middle of jack

20180606_132302.jpg

Thanks Peddy.

I assume it fits the jacking points as the Karoq isn't mentioned in the list on the right side arm. I have a scissor jack but it has a flat top so clearly not suitable. 

Have you lifted the car with it yet?

3 hours ago, JohnD5314 said:

Not needed to yet but this is the genuine jack that I ordered with the spare wheel combo from the factory 

4 hours ago, womanofkent said:

@westie38 did you get your spare wheel after buying the car? when did you order it?  we have been waiting to hear from Skoda and our dealer as to when the spare wheels will be available, not heard anything so be interested to know - thanks 

Hi,

Yes I've just recently managed to purchase the tyre/surround/floor piece & tool kit as an accessory even though I've had my Karoq since Febuary. In actual fact, all the parts are exactly the same (part numbers, size & fitment as the SEAT Ateca, so I don't really see why there has been such an issue in obtaining them. I contacted Michael Hindle at Listers Seat in Worcester, as he's helped loads of people on this forum with parts etc. Excellent, first class service, highly recommended.  

Thank you I have a 2 wheel drive so will chase my dealer we have also had car since February but not heard anything from them, if I don't get anywhere I'll try Michael

Rang parts department, they have received email from Skoda to say they are chasing factory every day, he says he can get wheels not the jack or padding.  I asked about the Ateca fitting so he is going to talk to another dealer in their group who has Skoda and Seat to let me know whether they are compatible. Hopefully an update to follow

Edited by womanofkent
additional info

The foam/polystyrene piece I ordered from Skoda is clearly marked SEAT embossed into the foam !!

My Skoda dealer (when I phoned about 4 weeks ago) could get all the individual parts for the spare wheel 'kit' in 2 to 3 days.

Does make you wonder... to be honest don't see why I should pay £260 if the Seat one would fit and can get that for £199 all in.  Been checking on ebay but not as lucky as you @Panther_uk

UPDATE

Dealer got back to me and he can get the spare wheel as individual parts, some in a couple of days the only thing problematic is the jack which will have to come from Czech so I will take delivery of most of it probably by Saturday total price £195.55.