Yeti - Karoq Review Honest John

Expatman

There is a video review of the new Karoq on Honest John website. Verdict is that the Karoq is generally better than the Yeti but it is so boring  you should buy a used Yeti instead!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Expatman said:

...the Karoq .... is so boring  you should buy a used Yeti instead!

Do I remember someone here saying something like that a few weeks ago?  Or was it a couple of years :biggrin: ?

• Like 1

Lot to be said for 'boring' when it comes to motors, specially if boring refers to reliability and driveability. 

Have you got your new Karoq yet, or eagerly awaiting delivery?

Interested to hear what you think about it once received. I know it's difficult to be impartial when it's your new car but please try!

Before I bought my first Yeti I looked at other options including the QASHQAI. I didn't even take it out for a test drive because as soon as I got into it I felt as if I had been entombed. Trying the back seat out brought on an attack of claustrophobia - the Karoq and Kodiac have both adopted the same styling. There must be lots of people who don't feel the way I do I suppose :).

I've had 2 Yeti's. First one was an Elegance 140 PS 4 x 4 which I loved. Traded that for a 150 PS SE L 4 x 4 with most of the L&K goodies except the sunroof. Love that as well, but now have a Karoq Edition 150PS 4 x 4 and love that even more.  Not as quirky as a Yeti but more comfortable, slightly roomier and much more tech, and I have to say it looks better. I always wanted red, but a Yeti in red looks like postman Pats van, but I do now have a red Karoq. It's a good time to buy a second hand Yeti as they're loosing value like there's no tomorrow.  Currently looking to trade mine against a 184PS Scout, Yeti has 40k miles on the clock, 29 months old in pristine condition and it looks like depreciation is going to work out at around £610 a month. That's a frightening number.

20 minutes ago, Bowdie said:

Yeti has 40k miles on the clock, 29 months old in pristine condition and it looks like depreciation is going to work out at around £610 a month. That's a frightening number.

Wow, my Elegance Greenline is 38 months old with about 26,000 miles so it looks like I'll have to pay to have it taken away :sweat:

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

Wow, my Elegance Greenline is 38 months old with about 26,000 miles so it looks like I'll have to pay to have it taken away :sweat:

Generally answer is to keep a car for about 6 years, by then depreciation has levelled off and you aren't going to lose much more. Balance is between repair costs and depreciation as the years progress. 

A lot of 2-3 year old vehicles are coming onto the market as the first wave of PCP's conclude so used prices will inevitably be hit. Best advice I got was to hold on to your present vehicle as long as reasonable. 

7 hours ago, Expatman said:

Lot to be said for 'boring' when it comes to motors, specially if boring refers to reliability and driveability. 

Have you got your new Karoq yet, or eagerly awaiting delivery?

I am eagerly awaiting delivery. Trading in my Superb Sportline 280 for it. Ordered a Karoq Edition 1.5 dsg with a few options.

The Yetis I had were a very early 1.4 Elegance and an 11 plate 1.2 dsg, that turned out to have clutch pack issues. The Yeti is an excellent car though. Tons of character. My favourite Skoda so far, was my Octavia VRS though, until someone stole it.

It certainly wasn’t a fun experience!

They broke into my house to get the keys. My wife and I were in the house at the time, as well, albeit asleep.

It was traumatic and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, loadswine said:

I am eagerly awaiting delivery. Trading in my Superb Sportline 280 for it. Ordered a Karoq Edition 1.5 dsg with a few options.

The Yetis I had were a very early 1.4 Elegance and an 11 plate 1.2 dsg, that turned out to have clutch pack issues. The Yeti is an excellent car though. Tons of character. My favourite Skoda so far, was my Octavia VRS though, until someone stole it.

I am on my second 1.2 Tsi DSG Yeti - first Elegance 2012, second 2017 SE-L - luckily I have had no problems with DSG. Certainly the 2017 model DSG is much smoother than 2012 version, as is the newer 1.2 engine, also getting  improved 2.5 MPG. I always spec 16" wheels so ride is more compliant than 17" wheels with lower profile tyres (In my opinion of course - don't want to start that argument again). My wife has a dodgy back so needs smooth ride with higher access to seat and Yeti seems to suit her well. Not too big outside but big inside, bright with large windows all round - too many modern small SUV's have small rear windows and it all feels too enclosed for us.

Does the 1.5 DSG Karoq come with the new '500' DSG or has it got the '200' DSG box?

I thought the windows on the Yeti were brilliant, and, if I am honest, I think the Karoq is not quite as good in that area.

The ride is surprisingly good though, even on the 19s on the Edition model. It doesn’t get as smooth as my current Superb, but I was surprised it was that good. My back prefers sympathy as well.

I am not completely sure on the gearbox designation, but I seem to remember reading, on one of the forum threads,  that it was a newer design , but cannot swear to that. Petrols have a dry clutch and diesels a wet clutch box.

7 hours ago, Expatman said:

... I always spec 16" wheels ....(In my opinion of course - don't want to start that argument again)....

Aww, why not :giggle: ?    No, you're right - an old debate and no longer relevant.  But in these days of roads paved with potholes I'm very glad to have followed your example.  Sorry - OT, I know. 

• Haha 1

On 16/03/2018 at 22:39, Expatman said:

Generally answer is to keep a car for about 6 years, by then depreciation has levelled off and you aren't going to lose much more. Balance is between repair costs and depreciation as the years progress. 

A lot of 2-3 year old vehicles are coming onto the market as the first wave of PCP's conclude so used prices will inevitably be hit. Best advice I got was to hold on to your present vehicle as long as reasonable. 

Salesmen will try and make monthly payments look cheap, ignore it

You need to work out whole life costs.  Basically write down everything being spent, some will need to be estimated (deposit, instalments, service, MOT test, repairs, annual car tax etc).  Once you have this total expenditure, subtract estimated selling price in few years (depending on how long you expect to keep it).   It tends to be easier to divide result by number of months you plan to keep it to give average monthly spend.

My Yeti was ordered June 2016 on PCH, the prices at time were stupidly low. A 9+23 months deal for 1.2 DSG SE spec came to £4400 (includes tax and metallic + 2 options) add on £150 for one service and averaging £192 per month

Car was priced at £20,300  which is same as 9 years x £192/ month

But what would servicing, repairs, tax add to this over 9 years, probably £4k so at these silly PCH rates I drive a newish car for same average price as one kept 11 years.

Edited by SurreyJohn

On 3/16/2018 at 23:09, loadswine said:

As I'm considering going the other way (sort of, Yeti to Superb Sportline 280) I'm wondering why the switch?

Good question.  I ended up going for the Superb after returning my Yeti to the dealer I purchased from and it was one of their ex demos. I had hoped it would be similar to my Octy vrs. It is almost too refined for me, if That doesn’t sound too daft. The driving experience is super efficient and I have a very good spec on mine, but it doesn’t involve like the vrs did, and its a bit long for my driveway, in practice. But the main reason I am going for a different car, is that , for some reason, after half an hour of sriving it, I get an awful pain down my right leg. Don’t know whether its me,(probably is, with arthritis in various joints) but it just sets me off with only ever lightly touching the throttle at normal speeds. No problem on the motorway, especially with the adaptive cruise, but I drive round town mostly.

If you fancy a nice specced low mileage example, you would probably like mine. Its a shame really, its not even done 9k yet.

28 minutes ago, loadswine said:

If you fancy a nice specced low mileage example, you would probably like mine. Its a shame really, its not even done 9k yet.

I probably would. Don't fancy a Yeti instead of the Karoq..?

20 minutes ago, Gyp said:

I probably would. Don't fancy a Yeti instead of the Karoq..?

Actually, that was my original plan, after losing the Octavia.  I could possibly be persuaded. I shouldn't send this thread off topic though, so by all means drop me a PM, if you would like.

7 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Salesmen will try and make monthly payments look cheap, ignore it

You need to work out whole life costs.  Basically write down everything being spent, some will need to be estimated (deposit, instalments, service, MOT test, repairs, annual car tax etc).  Once you have this total expenditure, subtract estimated selling price in few years (depending on how long you expect to keep it).   It tends to be easier to divide result by number of months you plan to keep it to give average monthly spend.

My Yeti was ordered June 2016 on PCH, the prices at time were stupidly low. A 9+23 months deal for 1.2 DSG SE spec came to £4400 (includes tax and metallic + 2 options) add on £150 for one service and averaging £192 per month

Car was priced at £20,300  which is same as 9 years x £192/ month

But what would servicing, repairs, tax add to this over 9 years, probably £4k so at these silly PCH rates I drive a newish car for same average price as one kept 11 years.

Quick calculation is that my last Yeti cost me about £200 per month. That includes  actual depreciation, road tax, service costs & MOT' s, no repairs because nothing went wrong.

Not sure how that compares to PCP or PCH because I added several extras like electric seats, park assist etc which, I believe, inflates cheap PCP/H deals. Car was bought in 2012 and sold in 2017 with 62,000 miles.

Edited by Expatman

On 3/16/2018 at 21:00, Bowdie said:

I've had 2 Yeti's. First one was an Elegance 140 PS 4 x 4 which I loved. Traded that for a 150 PS SE L 4 x 4 with most of the L&K goodies except the sunroof. Love that as well, but now have a Karoq Edition 150PS 4 x 4 and love that even more.  Not as quirky as a Yeti but more comfortable, slightly roomier and much more tech, and I have to say it looks better. I always wanted red, but a Yeti in red looks like postman Pats van, but I do now have a red Karoq. It's a good time to buy a second hand Yeti as they're loosing value like there's no tomorrow.  Currently looking to trade mine against a 184PS Scout, Yeti has 40k miles on the clock, 29 months old in pristine condition and it looks like depreciation is going to work out at around £610 a month. That's a frightening number.

That's horrific Bowdie! I think it's safe to say the Karoq has battered Yeti residuals.

I went for a great PCH deal on my SEL Drive so, going by your numbers, VWFS will end up paying twice as much as I am for my Yeti!