Performance Exhaust

Hi,

Just waiting on a delivery of a 1.4 TSI ACT Superb sportline estate.

Does anyone know any makes who do performance exhausts for the superb estate.

Edited by john999boy

The 1.4 TSi is a lovely quiet comfortable car to drive/ride in. Stick on a sports exhaust and you will spoil it.

If you must have a sports exhaust buy a Corsa, there are loads of boy racers locally with them and they all sound dreadful.

Thanks for the comments and i wouldn't be seen dead in a corsa and i'm not a boy racer i'm 38 and a Dad! 

It's more actually on the performance gain to keep the revs lower and save on fuel and the longevity of the exhaust more than anything. If teamed up with a remap and an air filter makes a 10% gain for each therefore i'd get upto speed quicker and at a lower revs and engage the Active cylinder technology quicker thus saving fuel.   That's the theory anyway i'm 90% i'll do none of the above OR even if the cost of doing all that worth bothering with!

A Good performance exhaust is quite and sounds nice under load. Anyone with a corsa will probably shuff a big bore crap thing of ebay that just sounds horrendous and probably doesn't perform very well.

I didn't expect there would be any available as it's not the 2.0 tsi where one might expect someone to buy one but even then unlikely many would. It's more of an octavia thing to do if anything.

Anyway should be receiving the car this week or next :-)

Interested in which Performance Air Filter or Air Intake you are thinking on to increase the Performance or Efficiency of the 1.4 TSI ACT.

As to the remap are you prepared to have the Manufacturers Warranty void on the Engine / gearbox / Drivetrain?

http://goapr.co.uk 

APR will do you a map maybe, Cobra an exhaust or get a custom job, the Remapper will point you in the right direction.

Then a ITG Air Intake system might do the job.

19 hours ago, jrgmiles said:

It's more actually on the performance gain to keep the revs lower and save on fuel and the longevity of the exhaust more than anything. If teamed up with a remap and an air filter makes a 10% gain for each therefore i'd get upto speed quicker and at a lower revs and engage the Active cylinder technology quicker thus saving fuel.   That's the theory anyway i'm 90% i'll do none of the above OR even if the cost of doing all that worth bothering with.

You will not keep the revs lower by fitting a performance exhaust, to do that either drive slower or fit a higher ratio diff from an alternative model (which will badly affect performance).

A performance exhaust will not save a single drop of fuel.

If you really think that by fitting an exhaust, remap and an airfilter will save you 30% of your fuel costs think again, it will save you nothing.

The only 100% guaranteed way to save fuel is to drive slower.

If doing this work saved 30% of fuel costs do you honestly think that Skoda would be ignoring it.  That would increase the official combined to about 73 mpg which would make the 1.4 TSi more economical that many city cars.

Just as well the topic was not started on April 01 (or perhaps it should have been).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/3/2018 at 14:01, jrgmiles said:

Thanks for the comments and i wouldn't be seen dead in a corsa and i'm not a boy racer i'm 38 and a Dad! 

It's more actually on the performance gain to keep the revs lower and save on fuel and the longevity of the exhaust more than anything. If teamed up with a remap and an air filter makes a 10% gain for each therefore i'd get upto speed quicker and at a lower revs and engage the Active cylinder technology quicker thus saving fuel.   That's the theory anyway i'm 90% i'll do none of the above OR even if the cost of doing all that worth bothering with!

A Good performance exhaust is quite and sounds nice under load. Anyone with a corsa will probably shuff a big bore crap thing of ebay that just sounds horrendous and probably doesn't perform very well.

I didn't expect there would be any available as it's not the 2.0 tsi where one might expect someone to buy one but even then unlikely many would. It's more of an octavia thing to do if anything.

Anyway should be receiving the car this week or next :-)

Interesting logic...

Air filter or performance exhaust will not give you any fuel savings. In any way. You will still require same RPM/Power/Fuel to get to certain speed. More horsepower always means more consumption. Because HP is measured at certain RPM range and engine won't change the way it works by changing two mentioned things. The fuel consumption also goes up at certain engine LOAD, so required rotations per minute may not always mean consumption increase. New cars are not limited by exhausts / air intake on stock ECU settings. If you want to improve horsepower / fuel consumption you need a good remap and even then if you have heavy foot you will get more consumption not less.

Fuel consumption is mostly based on:
- The car weight (so removing useless things like spare tyre, other things in trunk will save some fuel, just some)

- Prediction of traffic, so breaking with engine as much as possible, using as less brakes as possible, slow acceleration, etc...
- Tyres pressure
- Tyres thread width (215 uses less fuel than 235 for example)

- Fuel quality

- and others

probably forgot lots of things, just wanted to give some idea.

• Like 1

Generally a performance air filter will give a benefit on an older car where the existing filter is clogged - on a new car it is unlikely to make any difference.  

Take the roof rails off and tape over the door gaps - that will give you an improvement by reducing drag.

Buy a diesel if you want better economy, you don't have to visit the filling station anywhere near as often ;-).

Looking at the way lease prices are going my next one may be a 1.5TSi.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2018 at 13:19, Offski said:

On 06/04/2018 at 09:16, IJWS15 said:

Generally a performance air filter will give a benefit on an older car where the existing filter is clogged - on a new car it is unlikely to make any difference.  

Take the roof rails off and tape over the door gaps - that will give you an improvement by reducing drag.

Buy a diesel if you want better economy, you don't have to visit the filling station anywhere near as often ;-).

Looking at the way lease prices are going my next one may be a 1.5TSi.

I'm very happy with the 1.4 for fuel and it's as good as the diesels if not better since i don't drive long distances. Just trying a few things since my old car had an exhaust and filter done and was spot on fuel wise so more of not loosing anymore i guess than gaining. My bad on a poorly described statement.  

Remap probably spend more time talking about it than doing but i do think it would help the eco settings. The software there seems ****ly matched to the engine output vs the sports mode economy wise! I think a remap may help that hold 2 cylinder mode more....which i explained in another post!

Anyway car not bedded in yet and it's brilliant so far :-)

Hi jrgmiles

Maybe you just want a so called performance exhaust for a better sound. The standard exhaust on my Octavia VRS TSI was dead quiet and so I decided I wanted a better sound, not by the way real loud. So I had a custom stainless steel exhaust made up by a company in Leeds called Tony Banks. It was a 300 mile round trip, but he does have a great reputation for quality welding work. There are a few franchised custom exhaust garages dotted all around the country, as the one I used might be too far away from you. After a bit of adjustment from them on the exhaust, it sounds just as I wanted it to. You can specify the sound you want and they can make an exhaust for any vehicle once they take your old one off and weld up a new one to the shape of your car. I also last year had a remap done on my car. I have used performance air filters, waste of time if you want more BHP. As some on here have informed you. Just renew your standard air filter regularly. It's only when you increase your vehicles power by a large amount, that performance air filters are an advantage.  

Take note of what Offski said, with a new car if you have a remap, your warranty might no longer cover your car! You mentioned your age in a post, don't worry mate, just because you want a better exhaust does not make you a boy racer. If it did, I am stuffed. My role is a defensive/advanced driver trainer and I am 65 years old!!!  

That sounds possible it was more actually for length of service. I had a full miltek exhaust on my scirocco same 2.0 tsi as you! Sounded great not chavy and horrendous just nice purrs and still strong and not one issue in 8 years.

Thanks for this since i live in harrogate Leeds is a stones throw away might pay a visit to them! Since the missus is after a new car maybe i'll get another superb and i'll be back on the 2.0 tsi :-) 

Skoda should have done a 2.0 ACT that would have been perfect!  

Anyway very happy with the 1.4 and wonder if it's a bit too underpowered for getting the true potential noise from a performance exhaust. 

Way i see it i'm all for electric cars but until then the internal combustion engine provides a great sound track of itself and isn't heard enough!

18 hours ago, jrgmiles said:

I'm very happy with the 1.4 for fuel and it's as good as the diesels if not better since i don't drive long distances.  

You could convince me if you were getting 800 miles on a tank.

I'm only on my first full tank and current mileage is 639 and the fuel range left is 150 so "on paper" it stated i'm going to get 789. Granted this will drop massively after 100miles range left they always seem to !

SO that's pretty good in my opinion and that's the cars mileage 639!  I had done about 38miles before on the fuel i got when buying the car 

So guessing you might get say 700miles from a 70litre tank of Shell V Power!

I'm quite happy with that this morning i used sports mode whilst warning up to get 2 cylinder mode earlier then once upto temperature dropped it into eco all the way to work. I got 46mpg on an 18mile journey.

Diesels and EGR values and regens and all the cleaner you need to put through them to keep them running i'm sick off ! SO for me this petrol was the answer. I'm annoyed they didn't got the 2.0 or maybe a 1.8 ACT as that might have given you a bit more guts and good fuel. Anyway day in day out it's surprising me.

I will get 50mpg average and very good at learning how a car runs and works out and a full believer in good fuel and the same fuel always.

James