1.4 TSI turbo

4 minutes ago, KeithJR said:

So, if the actuator is replaced, does that come with a new linkage part, or does the repair include somehow fixing the seized bit?? Also my engine code starts CHPA. Is that a variant of EA211? I am confused by these codes. I have a printout of the "how to solve" guide.

CHPA is a EA211 engine....my engine is a CHPA....

Actuator includes the arm..but you still need the grease with hot bolt past the linkage before you fit the actuator...then you need to use VCDS & get it to run a calibrate test for the new actuator so it can find the upper & lower "stops" for full range of motion..

Just collected my car having had the actuator replaced, and linkage greased up as per fabdavrav post (thanks for that). Running really well, cost just under £300 :biggrin:

Edited by KeithJR

57 minutes ago, KeithJR said:

Just collected my car having had the actuator replaced, and linkage greased up as per fabdavrav post (thanks for that). Running really well, cost just under £300 :biggrin:

Just keep an eye on it & get some of the hot bolt paste from skodspare online seller or dealers etc...as you may have to degrease & top up in a years time....

Basically its another so called maintenance free item which in reality requires occasional maintenance...

& I'm glad what I suspected was proven right!!...

Edited by fabdavrav

• 2 years later...

Well, here I am again. My Octavia has done 21,723 miles since March 2015. The first WG seize occurred within warranty, the second  just over a year later, the next seized  within a year of the last one. Today the car dashboard showed EPC and went into limp mode. So this will be, I think, number 5 (Inc the original one). I don't really know what to say, other than what the hell is going on and why has it not been sorted!

As a matter of interest is the new 1.4 (150) just an uprated version of my 1.4 (140) with the same WG assembly?

I have taken an extended warranty each year so this will again be covered but that should only cover 'unexpected' failures, this one seems to have  built in failure :x

1 hour ago, ajw1100 said:

Well, here I am again. My Octavia has done 21,723 miles since March 2015. The first WG seize occurred within warranty, the second  just over a year later, the next seized  within a year of the last one. Today the car dashboard showed EPC and went into limp mode. So this will be, I think, number 5 (Inc the original one). I don't really know what to say, other than what the hell is going on and why has it not been sorted!

As a matter of interest is the new 1.4 (150) just an uprated version of my 1.4 (140) with the same WG assembly?

I have taken an extended warranty each year so this will again be covered but that should only cover 'unexpected' failures, this one seems to have  built in failure :x

Either you've been very unlucky or I've been very lucky - I too have a 1.4TSI (140) Elegance, built in April 2015, and have done just under 50,000 miles with no WG problems.

4 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

I don’t want to tempt fate, but my 2014 1.4 is on nearly 77,000 miles and original turbo. No issues with anything in fact, just servicing, tyres and rear brake pads is all it’s needed from new. My car probably did as much mileage in the last year alone than yours has done since 2015. It shouldn’t make any difference, in an ideal world,  but maybe more use is the reason ?

My theory with the turbo though is that I never use the stop/start and let it idle before turning off. I always give it a blast towards the red line at least one a month to try and make sure the wastegate gets a workout through its full range. Mine is a manual and I wonder if the dsg models are basically just working through the same limited Rev range most of the time ? Also, it’s never gone longer than 10k miles between oil changes.

I believe the later 150 version of the 1.4 is just different software/mapping and the actual turbo is the same as the 140.

Edited by classic

1 hour ago, classic said:

I don’t want to tempt fate, but my 2014 1.4 is on nearly 77,000 miles and original turbo. No issues with anything in fact, just servicing, tyres and rear brake pads is all it’s needed from new. My car probably did as much mileage in the last year alone than yours has done since 2015. It shouldn’t make any difference, in an ideal world,  but maybe more use is the reason ?

My theory with the turbo though is that I never use the stop/start and let it idle before turning off. I always give it a blast towards the red line at least one a month to try and make sure the wastegate gets a workout through its full range. Mine is a manual and I wonder if the dsg models are basically just working through the same limited Rev range most of the time ? Also, it’s never gone longer than 10k miles between oil changes.

I believe the later 150 version of the 1.4 is just different software/mapping and the actual turbo is the same as the 140.

I wish mine was still on its first WG, All have seized, My logic is that they seize due to lack of the right grease, I am sure the Skoda garage did use the right grease. For my part although I do not do many miles I do give the DSG a work out on a regular basis, dropping into Sport or manual and working the turbo quite hard just to make sure it does not get stuck through lack of use or minimal rev range, it gets pedal to the metal. I use a Pedal Box for gaining speed with Eco mode for the overrun slowing down. I find that a good combination for overall driving and economy.

My stop/start seems to be on strike, probably due to the battery getting old, am planning to get a new battery in the next few weeks as I do not want to suddenly find it has died. Have driven for over 200 miles and it never cut in once, drove over 200 miles back and it cut in about 3 miles from  home!!!

The car has always been serviced on time by one Skoda dealer and anything wrong has been corrected.

My thoughts on the 150 are the same as yours, a slight software update is far, far, cheaper than mechanical mods.

I think I will contact Skoda and see what they have say, nothing probably, but should there be future problems I will have something on record.

15 hours ago, classic said:

What is it on yours that fails, is it the electric actuator for the wastegate or the mechanical part siezing ?

Good question and I do not have a clue. From what I remember last time they said that this time they had replaced the whole unit as it had seized. By that I guess the previous time it may have the rod/linkage had seized. I do remember them saying the cost, if I had to pay it, would be around the £1k so it must have been an expensive part!  Or, it took along time to do it and the labour charges account for the high cost. I will ask exactly what had failed\seized so I can report this to Skoda.

The car is booked in next Tuesday for investigation and to replace the EFB battery with a new AGM Battery.

Edited by ajw1100

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Taken the car in and  they have said the last two failures they replaced the actuator unit, after doing their checks they say it now needs a complete new actuator and turbo. They have contacted Skoda who have asked for the diagnostic data (What ever that may tell them) The garage has ordered the whole lot and will fit next week, hoping/assuming that Skoda will okay the fix under the extended warranty, possible the best £184 I have spent !

For this many to go wrong in such a small  number of miles (21,750) is very disquieting, if the new Mk4 1.5 is using a tweaked version of the same engine maybe it's another reason not to go there.

Once it's sorted I will update again.

21 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

Update.

Taken the car in and  they have said the last two failures they replaced the actuator unit, after doing their checks they say it now needs a complete new actuator and turbo. They have contacted Skoda who have asked for the diagnostic data (What ever that may tell them) The garage has ordered the whole lot and will fit next week, hoping/assuming that Skoda will okay the fix under the extended warranty, possible the best £184 I have spent !

For this many to go wrong in such a small  number of miles (21,750) is very disquieting, if the new Mk4 1.5 is using a tweaked version of the same engine maybe it's another reason not to go there.

Once it's sorted I will update again.

@ajw1100 I'm so sorry to hear of all your problems with your car as I remember how happy you were with it when you came to try the pedalbox.

The diagnostic data they want is downloaded from the ecu, it tells them exactly what the engine has done for every single mile. It records all the car's sensors showing the inputs & outputs.

What they are looking for, is evidence that you've modified the vehicle to improve its performance which they can use to DENY paying for the repairs themselves. Sound like the WHOLE turbo needs replacing this time. This is standard practice so don't be concerned.

Although I understand the convenience of car ownership (especially in your Carer role) I'd question whether a Taxi account wouldn't be more COST efficient considering your mileage🤔🤫🤭🤗

3 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

@ajw1100 I'm so sorry to hear of all your problems with your car as I remember how happy you were with it when you came to try the pedalbox.

The diagnostic data they want is downloaded from the ecu, it tells them exactly what the engine has done for every single mile. It records all the car's sensors showing the inputs & outputs.

What they are looking for, is evidence that you've modified the vehicle to improve its performance which they can use to DENY paying for the repairs themselves. Sound like the WHOLE turbo needs replacing this time. This is standard practice so don't be concerned.

Although I understand the convenience of car ownership (especially in your Carer role) I'd question whether a Taxi account wouldn't be more COST efficient considering your mileage🤔🤫🤭🤗

I hope that the pedal box will not show up as  I forgot to remove it. I installed it about 4 years ago and plain forgot about it.  Oh well fingers crossed, could be an expensive week. I will let you know!!

The Mother in Law at 96 passed away this Christmas  Eve so we are arranging the funeral and can only have 20 present. My Brother is still in the care home  with advanced dementia, and with all his other disabilities I am just awaiting the inevitable, he does not want to live any more and wanted to end it all about 5 years ago when he was diagnosed, which I understand but find it very hard to come to terms with. He cannot do anything, and I mean that literally, move or speak and suffer while the pain killers do their best. 

It is a truly cruel disease.

A taxi account would be cheaper overall but very inconvenient, my wife and I have taken up bowling and going around the 'Shires' playing. Takes our minds off other things, of course Covid has meant a cancel of all our games last year and we hope it will change for the better in 2021.

Happy new year all.

EDIT.

Should Skoda decide they will not cover the cost can you, or anyone else, recommend a repairer that does a proper job in the Hertfordshire area? Don't think running around in limp mode for too long will be much fun.

Edited by ajw1100

Thanks Tony, I hope you are right! I did not see how the pedal box could affect the turbo as it is not and has not and cannot increase the engines power, It is adjusting the response to pressure like having a lead foot at take off. If I remember correctly I have it on setting 1 with 2 so not too responsive, any more and I reckon my wife will rear end a bus !! :sad:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, good news, Skoda has covered the whole turbo and actuator unit and this has now been replaced, the extended warranty has certainly saved me a fortune. I asked my dealer how much would it have cost if I just walked in and had it all replaced, he reckoned about £2300. Okay, probably a lot more than an independent or a repair/exchange unit but that would be expected, main dealers are normally the most expensive. This is one job I did not have to get price matched either.  :biggrin:

The pedal box did not make any difference I am of course very pleased to say!

I emailed Skoda Customer Services last week about this, not heard anything yet.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...