Drivers seat back keeps reclining

Is there anyone out there who’s encountered problems with the driver or passenger seat back ? I’ve found that since I’ve had my car last summer the drivers seat gradually reclines. It’s not instant but after a few days I have to turn the seat adjuster again to bring the seat back upright. I have the sports seats on my Monte Carlo. It’s driving me mad. I love my car but I’ve never been able to find a good driving position unlike my previous cars. 

Hmm .. interesting, I think mine does this as well, but I'm not quite sure.

I often wind the seat back a bit more upright when I get into the car as it seems more comfortable.

As I'm not currently sitting with my head between my knees I guess it must be slowly slipping back over time.

I have the SE Estate.

Edited by alan4856732

!  It might be a "characteristic" of VAG seats ! My old Passat used do that - it's so imperceptible that you think you're imagining it !! Like you said @alan4856732 , because you keep moving it forward, then it

MUST be going back !!  You could lose yer mind on something like that ! :D

My Fabia has the standard seats ( SEL/Style spec ) and I don't notice this happening. 

I'm sure that we will hear more !

Edited by Dithane

That’s exactly how it is with mine. At first I kept thinking I must be slumping in the seat but it’s not the case. Judging by the amount of times I have to turn the seat knob to correct it in just a couple of weeks, it should be touching the steering wheel by now. On the weekend I did try fully reclining the seat and then tilting it fully forward, hoping that would help, but no luck. I’m gonna wait for the weather to pick up then head to the dealership to try to get it sorted. 

• Like 1

I definitely haven't noticed this. I'm the only person who drives it, but I've not touched the adjuster in ages. Standard SE seats.

However, my old 2002 Polo definitely did slowly recline!

I've never had that issue, but I do notice that my body (back/spine length/shape!) is a different shape depending on if it is early morning or mid afternoon, which I suppose is to be expected seeing as we were not made to walk on two feet only!

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:20, Andy P said:

Is there anyone out there who’s encountered problems with the driver or passenger seat back ? I’ve found that since I’ve had my car last summer the drivers seat gradually reclines. It’s not instant but after a few days I have to turn the seat adjuster again to bring the seat back upright.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:55, Dithane said:

It might be a "characteristic" of VAG seats ! My old Passat used do that - it's so imperceptible that you think you're imagining it !! Like you said @alan4856732 , because you keep moving it forward, then it MUST be going back !!  You could lose yer mind on something like that ! :D

My 2017 Yeti does this.  Interestingly, neither of my Roomsters did this.

I might mention it to my dealer at the next service in case it's a known "characteristic" :)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hello All.

I have a 20 plate Scala, which I collected just before lockdown in March.

I've constantly been adjusting the height and back angle of the drivers seat and after a while it never seemed to be in the right place. This weekend I had to adjust the back angle four times in a single 2hr journey. This morning I set my seat to the position I like, and then gently rocked back and forwards while sat in the seat. After a minute this is how far the seat back adjuster had moved! The passenger side was similar but better (presumably because I rarely have a passenger).

I am in the fortunate position that I work in the Vehicle Safety Test Lab for a West Midlands vehicle manufacturer, and seat testing is my job! I therefore know the legal requirements of seats, and I'll be taking this up with the dealership today. If I don't get anywhere then it'll be off to the ombudsman.

I'll be aiming to get a courtesy car until mine is fixed, which at the minimum will be a new set of row 1 seats.

If another set of seats does the same, I'll be aiming for Skoda to retrofit my vehicle with electric seats as they have different mechanisms, or to buy back my vehicle. 

Scala seat adjustment.JPG

Every car I have had with this type of adjuster since the early 90's has had this "characteristic" bloomin annoying but I am used to it now, interesting to learn that it doesnt meet safety standards.

I had a really hard rear end shunt while stationary at motorway roadworks, vehicle behind hit me at high speed, I blacked out initially and came round on the back seat with the vehicle slowly accelerating down Reigate Hill & had to clamber over the fully reclined seatback to stop the vehicle.

The seatback wound back to its upright position and the mech was undamaged, it behaved as normal including the slow recline.

I dont know if it is a safety feature but it did limit my injuries that day.

Good luck with yout quest for resolution but I think these mechanisms have always been like that.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my Scala:

Long Story Short:

• Went to the dealership, they said there wasn't an issue - but forwarded the complaint to Skoda Technical.
  • Contacted Skoda UK, they said they wanted a second opinion before getting involved.
  • Wrote an email to my dealership stating I wished to reject the car due to this issue.
  • The dealership had a response from Skoda Technical. New drivers and passengers seat backs have been ordered. Will be fitted in about 2 weeks when they arrive.
  • Got a hire car until they're fitted. 

Long story: 

• 1 year later...

I idly Googled this subject as I am finding exactly the same thing with my 2017 Fabia.  I could have sworn I was going mad, so it's good to hear that I might not be.  

The symptom for me is the same: having to make small adjustments frequently to bring the recline of the driver's seat back to its normal position.  

Unfortunately mine's out of warranty.  The driver's seat bolster in my Fabia is also heavily worn at a mere 20k miles (probably due to a portly or mobility-limited former owner), so I am tempted to replace the whole seat for £70-100 with a used eBay purchase.  

Is this likely to resolve the issue, or are all seats affected?!

Edited by BasilHume

I have a 67 plate Fabia Redline and this has been driving me mad since I got it.  I did a similar sticker on the adjuster and a fixed reference point, as above, and the adjuster moved a similar amount.  I wondered whether the seatbelt coming in contact with the adjuster could be the reason? 

27 minutes ago, Shamoo said:

I wondered whether the seatbelt coming in contact with the adjuster could be the reason?

It's not impossible; maybe get a partner or friend to photograph that area with you in the seat and the belt on?