Cold start problems

Hi , i have recently bought a skoda fabia vrs mk1 , its started to develop a problem starting in the morning where i am finding myself cranking it over for atleast 10 or 15 seconds, i have tried to give it a few heats (letting the plug light go out a few times before turning it over) which sometimes helps but not always, ive been told perhaps change of battery or the glow plugs are shot? Any ideas ? 

Not been on for a while , but does the coolant temp sensor have something to do with cold starts?

2 pin blue I think on these?

Not been on for a while so may be one to check

Sarah

25 minutes ago, Bez1989 said:

Also ive noticed that the plug light only briefly flashes on and off again? 

Surely that’s enough for you to check these are working properly? Simple enough to do and is free! 

Edited by jars
Fat fingers!

If you've just serviced it you need to check that you don't have an air leak in one of the fuel lines allowing fuel to drain back to the filter bowl, that can cause excessive cranking before a start after the car's been stood.

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

If you've just serviced it you need to check that you don't have an air leak in one of the fuel lines allowing fuel to drain back to the filter bowl, that can cause excessive cranking before a start after the car's been stood.

Sounds like a fuel issue to me too. 

Also a good idea to check all the fuel lines on top of the engine and on the tandem pump as well as the fuel filter connections and housing assembly.

@Bez1989 - The glowplug light on all these VAG 1.9D engines only illuminates briefly, because they inject directly into the combustion chamber and not into a pre-chamber, so need much less heating.

As to checking the plugs themselves, you need to do a resistance test, and you've actually got a minute or so to work after the light first comes on.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, i have a little update - i had the car plugged in to vagscom and the fault codes showing was temp sensor ( which i replaced ) and misfire on cylinder 2.. i have ordered the part to change the loom in the hope that it may cure the problem but im in need for some advise as to whether the loom will cause the hard starting or could possibly be the injector seals / injector at fault? Thanks for any feed back in advance

I changed the temp sensor when i serviced it around 2 weeks ago , the part was from euro cart parts so could be a dud but it seems to get up to temp ok and stays at 90, i have also noticed today what looks like a small leak around the bottom of the tandem pump so when i have it to bits over the weekend il be able to get a better look , ive also put jubilee clips on the fuel filter pipes to try and rule an air leak out from there, but other than that im completely lost on it

• 4 weeks later...

Another update as the car is now fixed and running fine, turns out it was the lift pump was at fault and not holding pressure causing fuel to run back to the tank.. thought id post and let you all know and for anyone with the same symptoms , hopefully this thread will help.. after i changed the pump i had a  fault code removed and since then it starts like a dream. Cheers for your help fellas.. (il post a picture of the fault code for anyone that wants to see it. 

20180518_130739_004.jpg