Kodiaq vs. 5008 vs. X-trial vs. CR-V

I normally liking reading all the Australian reviews. As the don't seem as biased towards diesels as they do in the UK. Regardless, I was surprised the 5008 took the win here. I don't care though, it's damm ugly IMO and with no 4wd option I still think I made the right choice. 

https://m.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/peugeot-5008-v-skoda-kodiaq-v-nissan-x-trail-v-honda-cr-v-comparison-review-117749

• Like 1

Auto Express have the article,  'Best small 4x4 2018',  explain about Crossovers, then put No1 the Peugeot 3008.

I had a Bipper with Advanced Traction Control and it was no better than a FWD car with M+S tyres on, of which i have had lots.

It was no Panda or Jimny or even a Terios.  

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Auto Express have the article,  'Best small 4x4 2018',  explain about Crossovers, then put No1 the Peugeot 3008.

I had a Bipper with Advanced Traction Control and it was no better than a FWD car with M+S tyres on, of which i have had lots.

It was no Panda or Jimny or even a Terios.  

Ok.... But having had a 5008 on order I can definitely say it does not have AWD or 4 wheel drive. Auto Express are wrong.

• Confused 1

They also apparently won't be introducing AWD on the 5008 in 2019, when they do this on the 3008. They can't fit the hybrid battery in the 5008 because of the third row.

IMO, the only thing I like better in the 5008 are the three similarly-sized seats in the 2nd row instead of the Kodiaq's 60/40 arrangement. Instrument cluster's completely digital, but that's coming to the Kodiaq as well this year.

Mark1982,  we know that the 5008 is not AWD.   that is the point in the first 2 posts in this thread.  the OP & mine,  and the point of my post on the Auto Express, the 3008 is not a  small 4x4 to have them make it the best small 4x4.

I will really mourn the loss of Big Knobs and Buttons for the basic control of temperature, volume and other things that I use often on every journey.

Fumbling around on a pretty touch screen is crazy, in a place where we’re not supposed to be distracted from the fundamental chore of actually driving the machine.

Maybe one day I will buy some bizarre vehicle simply ‘cos it’s the only one left with buttons and knobs :)

(I’m off to ride my bike now - that’s pretty basic in comparison)

• Like 2

I agree - knobs and buttons are much more intuitive.  I loved my Saab, which had a total of 72 physical switches!  Once you've learned the "geography" of your dash, your hands just do what you want.

However ... on a Kodiaq, the temperature (while it CAN be done onscreen) still is done with a big knob, and the volume is done with a physical knob on the steering wheel ... isn't it?

Edited by DaveMiller
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The Kodiaq is in the class above...

I nearly brought a CX-5 - i had one for a w/e test drive and was really impressed. But unfortunately it was a tad too small. God knows why Mazda haven't brought the CX-9 to Europe, i'm sure it would sell really well for them.

• Like 1

Looked at both the 3008 and 5008.  Design-wise (outside) = ugly.  Inside looks nice.  Still don't think I trust those French Electrics though :blush:

The engine options are the same on both cars.

We were going for a Kodiaq for the bigger engine and 4x4 but the 5-seat boot lip was MASSIVE (almost 3 inches!)- 7-seats would be wasted on us.  So we went for a Superb Estate :)

2 hours ago, hwr1983 said:

but the 5-seat boot lip was MASSIVE 

As a matter of interest does anyone have a five seater with the optional spare wheel? Does that raise the boot floor to level?

Edited by gojoholo

4 minutes ago, gojoholo said:

As a matter of interest does anyone have a five seater with the optional full size spare wheel? Does that raise the boot floor to level?

Can't you add Variable Boot Floor to the 5-seater? That would bring it up level, and leave underneath for storing the kids' Christmas Presents. Oh yes, VBF is awesome around December time :D.

2 hours ago, gojoholo said:

As a matter of interest does anyone have a five seater with the optional spare wheel? Does that raise the boot floor to level?

I didn’t think you could have a spare wheel with the 5 seater? That’s the only reason we’ve ordered a 7 seater - in order to be able to have a spare wheel. 

I specifically asked about having a spare wheel for my 5-seater, and pointed out (with photos) that other European countries have it.  Dealer checked, and came back with the answer that it wasn't an option available in the UK.  :angry: 

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

specifically asked about having a spare wheel for my 5-seater, and pointed out (with photos) that other European countries have it.

You're right. You can have a full size alloy or a space saver with the 5 seater here in Ireland. The alloy is €200 to €220 and the space saver is no charge.  Skoda UK not having it as an option is bizarre.

7 hours ago, Krooked said:

I nearly brought a CX-5 - i had one for a w/e test drive and was really impressed.

Did you have the petrol  or the diesel? I tried the diesel and really liked it - problem is, I'm doing only 9K miles a year now. I'd be very interested in how the 2.0 non-turbo GDI drives... 

22 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

IMaybe one day I will buy some bizarre vehicle simply ‘cos it’s the only one left with buttons and knobs :)

Like THIS........................

59a636033c9c6.thumb.jpeg.70f6c7e73494cae5e5bcabf994abf2cc.jpeg

:D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

Did you have the petrol  or the diesel? I tried the diesel and really liked it - problem is, I'm doing only 9K miles a year now. I'd be very interested in how the 2.0 non-turbo GDI drives... 

I had the 2.0 petrol - it was very impressive. Very refined. But you had to rev it to drive it fast. What killed it for me was lack of an auto. Netherlands for example gets the auto. Mazda UK have decided only manual. However, I have to say the manual gearbox was amazingly good. I think if the CX-9 had come to UK it would have been very difficult choice against the Kodiaq

Edited by Krooked
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Krooked said:

But you had to rev it to drive it fast

You can tell I've got past Yogi's 'running in' period... decided today to select 'sport', put my foot down on a dual carriageway (as I came off a roundabout, so accelerating from about 20mph) and see what happened. I have no idea at what speed the DSG 'box gave up on 2nd gear, but when I stopped accelerating at 80mph, it had just changed up from 3rd to 4th!