Skoda Fabia Oil Change

Hi All,

I got a warning light this morning "Oil Change", did not had an option and drove till my office, called my usual garage to check and the mechanic friend advised that i can drive this for another six months as this is u just an alarm for yearly service, I then checked the Oil level and this is also fine.

I have driven 8000 miles after i got this car in Dec 2018, my question is that will i fine to drive this warning light until my next service which is around Novemeber'18 or is it advisable to change the Oil before that

Can anyone please help here?

Do you or the mechanic friend know the answers to this?

Where did you get the car in December 2018,  who had serviced it?

and when was an Oil & Filter change done?

What oil was used then?  Was it VW 502 for Fixed Servicing or VW504 00 for Flexible / Fixed.

Was the Service indicator set then to 9,400 miles / 372 days, Fixed Service.   Or was the Service Indicator set wrong or left on Variable / Flexible?

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

• Like 1

The OP has driven 8,000 miles in 4 or 5 months, 

Variable Servicing / Oil changes is perfect if the annual mileage is going to be 24,000 miles.  IMO.

You need the right oil in though.  & if using VW 502 00 it will need changing every 6-7 months if doing that mileage.

Oil level very much matters if the oil level is low for a while and the oil is continually running hot, and spoiling.

Small capacity oil sump as well.

Under £25 for the Oil & Filter to change it and 15 minutes of the mechanics time.

Suction, or drain and if drain get a new sump plug, so another £2.

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Going by your usage of that car to date, I'm thinking that that car will have run a total of 22,000 miles before it is time for its normal service at 12 months, but along with that "12 months" comes another figure "10,000 miles" or maybe 9800 miles, so it will hit the max mileage figure way before it gets to 12 months - get it serviced within the next 2,000 miles and understand that you are using it for more miles per year than its present servicing periodicity expects for "annual servicing" - or it might just run out of life sooner than you expect.

25 minutes ago, Offski said:

Hi,

Hi  -Spoke to the mechanic but need to understand the answers to the question, it was serviced and oil was changed in Dec but do not know what Oil has been used, will get that checked and also the service indicator question, if i did not knew answers to these question safe bet is to change the oil and filer ?

25 minutes ago, Offski said:

Do you or the mechanic friend know the answers to this?

Where did you get the car in December 2018,  who had serviced it?

and when was an Oil & Filter change done?

What oil was used then?  Was it VW 502 for Fixed Servicing or VW504 00 for Flexible / Fixed.

Was the Service indicator set then to 9,400 miles / 372 days, Fixed Service.   Or was the Service Indicator set wrong or left on Variable / Flexible?

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Is that the mechanic that changed the Oil,  and does he  or she not know what oil he / she used?

Did he / she set the Service Indicator in December?

If in doubt change the oil and filter for VW 504 00 long life Oil, 5w 30 FS  or service / oil change every 9,400 miles and use VW 502 00, 5w 40 FS.

??

How many miles has your Fabia S 12V done?

Edited by Offski

6 minutes ago, Offski said:

No, he is a different mechanic, i will have to check with that person but the dealer gave a 3 month warranty and I doubt he will have that information

Is that the mechanic that changed the Oil,  and does he  or she not know what oil he / she used?

No, he will have no idea on what oil is used

No he did not set, this was setup probably by the person serviced before the purchase.

If in doubt change the oil and filter for VW 504 00 long life Oil, 5w 30 FS  or service / oil change every 9,400 miles and use VW 502 00, 5w 40 FS.

??

How many miles has your Fabia S 12V done?

37700 odd, i got it around 29000, so 8700 already in five months. 

If set on Fixed Servicing that is 9,400 miles or 372 days which ever comes first.

So if the Oil was changed 700 miles before you got it then the warning is correct.

Or maybe it was last set 700 miles before you collected the car.   Set in November 2017. 

14 minutes ago, Offski said:

If set on Fixed Servicing that is 9,400 miles or 372 days which ever comes first.

So if the Oil was changed 700 miles before you got it then the warning is correct.

Or maybe it was last set 700 miles before you collected the car.   Set in November 2017. 

Ok whatever the case, what options do I have now

1. Do a service from Skoda in the next 2000 odd miles, as this has already driven for 8500 odd miles 

Or

2. Change just Oil and filter and service in November 2018

• Like 1

If you value your car and can not be sure when the new oil went in or what oil went in i would get an oil and filter change.

Or just go reset your Oil Change indicator and drive on until you fancy changing the oil.  It is all a lottery.

?

Did you buy it from a Skoda Dealer, and is it a Skoda Dealer Service History?     

Sorry   I just thought you had bought outwith the Dealer network.  (teaches me to never assume.)

If it has had Skoda Servicing then the servicing should be on their computer system.

Ask Skoda UK CS for a copy of that.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

I would not be paying a main dealer when you have a mechanic friend.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed     This is a lot of money for not much being done IMO.

Edited by Offski

15 minutes ago, Offski said:

?

Did you buy it from a Skoda Dealer, and is it a Skoda Dealer Service History?     

Sorry   I just thought you had bought outwith the Dealer network.  (teaches me to never assume.)

If it has had Skoda Servicing then the servicing should be on their computer system.

Ask Skoda UK CS for a copy of that.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

I would not be paying a main dealer when you have a mechanic friend.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed     This is a lot of money for not much being done IMO.

I Did not buy from a Skoda dealer but from a local dealer in Brentwood, and it had a Service stamp from Skoda but the service before the sale was performed by the local garage and it has details of that too. 

Yes i would need to check with garage which he works in how much can they work for servicing the car for.

Do the service at the required mileage, unless this takes longer due to low mileage/usage. You then have the service schedule warning reset and you are then on a level playing field... 

Get it stamped into the schedule, too, if possible.

The OP appears to have a 3 pot HTP engine. Afaik these have never supported extended or variable servicing in the UK, though I may be wrong.

It has a camchain.

It has a rather small paper oil filter.

Older engines suffer from lack of oil changes related problems

It takes less than 5 mins to change the oil and filter of doing it yourself.

Running it longer than the standard 10k oil change interval is asking for grief.

The OP's choice, I will say no more.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xman said:

It takes less than 5 mins to change the oil and filter of doing it yourself.

Are you sure about that?

35 minutes ago, Lee said:

Are you sure about that?

I agree with you there, it takes me more than 5 minutes to get the stuff together - doing the job then more than 5 minutes tidying stuff away.

I have spotted/watched a YouTube video doing that job in maybe less than 5 minutes though, I think that that one involved crawling under the car with only the car's emergency jack for support, which probably translates into if you do a job quickly enough you will not have time to get hurt? I think that he even replaced the spark plugs and filter while he was at it in that time.

Edit:- for the OP's attention, normally these cars get two types of servicing if on a fixed service regime, 1st service is a "small" one and only means an oil+filter change, 2nd service is a "bigger" one and covers an oil+filter change and extra work correct for that age and mileage, 3rd service is again just an oil+filter change - and so on.

Now, if you do not know when your car last had a "bigger" service, what you now need is to get that service done now, if it was properly serviced at its last service, all you need now is an oil+filter change. 

Other suitable names for these two service types are "minor" and "major".

Edited by rum4mo

If the car was pre-owned you don't know how many miles the car was driven before your 8000 miles. If it was new it seems rather premature to have an oil change after 8000 miles and 6 months. You can do a visual check on the oil to see if it is not too black and smell it for contamination. For the cost of £100 I would get it done for peace of mind if it was pre-owned.

Edited by edbostan

Ok, an oil change in 5 mins for me maybe 15 mins for the less experienced ;) The HTP is the easiest oil change of any engine I've had. Sump plug is within easy reach, no need to remove trays and only your arm goes underneath. No real need to jack, although lifting the driver's side 3 or 4 inches helps drain more and gives room for a washing up bowl. Oil filter easy to remove and change, unless some monkey has grossly overtightened. It only need tightening by hand until the housing reaches the end stop. Sealing is not dependent on tightness in this design.

7mm allen key socket recommended.

Less than £20 for filter/oil as it only needs 2.8 litres.

Wish I could show you all how quick and easy it is to encourage people to have a go and save a packet while keeping the engine in tip top condition.

I admit that pouring the old oil into a container and cleaning the bowl takes another 5 mins.

Engine stopped at normal Operating Temp,  Oil filler cap off, pipe in the dip stick tube,  oil sucked out, oil filter removed, sump plug removed and replaced if you want, so any residue oil drained. New Sump Plug on, not over tightened. Oil filter on correctly with a ickle oil on the seal, not over tightened. 

Correct oil quantity added, oil cap on.  Engine started and run a few minutes. Oil level checked.  Then give a short run to get to operating temp the oil, 

stop on the flat and dip after a few minutes, check the level at Operating Temperature, and add any oil if required.

All the VW Engines in a Fabia are checked at operating temperature other than the 1.2 44kW engines that are checked cold according to the owners manuals.

So check the others once cold again just to compare. 

That is 30 minutes,  various other procedures can occur, up to who is doing it.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

That is 30 minutes

For a scotsman who insists on having a tea break while doing it...:coffee:..;)

Whatever, its not a long task.

Btw its  a 6mm allen key rather than the 7mm I suggested.

• Like 1

Some Scots men or women or any nationality just pay £25 and get a 'Fast of foot fitter'  to do it,

or you pay for an oil and filter change and they wipe clean the old oil filter fitted and never removed and put a dirty mark or 2 on it.

So all can be a lottery as if done or not and what oil was used, or washer on the sump plug reused or not.

• Like 1