1.2 Tsi 108bhp manual... advice / help

Going to look at a Fabia 1.2 tsi 108ps hatchback tomorrow.

Nice car at my local Skoda dealer. It's on a 65 plate, 2016 reg and has done 18500k miles. Colour Rio Red which is the dark red.

If I buy it it will be my 4th Fabia. It's around 3 years since I owned one and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms big time.:giggle: 

I've never had or driven a Mk 111.

If you have any comments on this model (108 bhp engine in manual guise)  or any advice as to what I might be looking for as I go over it I would be very pleased to have your comments.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

I have a 110hp with manual in MonteCarlo trip, also a hatchback. I have it for around 2.5 years now, bought it new, so far I had zero problems in 41000 kilometers( 25476 miles), Engine is nice and goes off the line pretty decent, gearbox can be a little bit cluncky when cold and plastics on the dashboard can rattle at some bumps, other than that so good so far.

• Like 1

That's right around the cutoff for having proper smartphone mirroring in the infotainment, which came in with the MY16 cars. Press 'Menu', and scroll over and see if you can find 'SmartLink'. It's 100% worth having! If it's an SE, it should also have the MFSW, but the SEL has had that from the beginning. 

Mine's the lesser TSI, but it's a brilliant engine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vc-10 said:

That's right around the cutoff for having proper smartphone mirroring in the infotainment, which came in with the MY16 cars. Press 'Menu', and scroll over and see if you can find 'SmartLink'. It's 100% worth having! If it's an SE, it should also have the MFSW, but the SEL has had that from the beginning. 

Mine's the lesser TSI, but it's a brilliant engine. 

Thanks for replies guys, any info I can be armed with before tomorrow will help me. I did call the other day and look at it briefly and it has the MFSW. The hovering Salesman ( actually he didn't 'hover' but was quite polite), said he was sure it had Mirror Link so I will take your advice and look for it. I have an Android phone and hope to be able to use Android Auto.

They all have Mirror Link, the one you want is SmartLink!

It's all very confusing. There are 3 different technologies for connecting a phone to the display. MirrorLink works with some Android phones, but not all. I know some Sony and Samsung phones work with it, but my OnePlus 5T doesn't.  Android Auto works with almost every modern Android phone, although I know some (Huawei phones? Not sure) have trouble with it. And then of course there is Apple CarPlay, for iPhones (basically any iPhone with a Lightning connector).

The early Fabias had MirrorLink, but no Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. This was up until midway through 2015, when the MY16 cars started being built. I'd expect that a car registered in early 2016 would be a MY16, but you never know. With the MY16 cars, standalone MirrorLink got replaced by SmartLink, which is Skoda's name for the system which has all 3.

When you test drive the car, press the 'Menu' button on the radio. If you can scroll over and find this icon, then you've got the proper SmartLink, but if it says MirrorLink then it's a MY15 car.

b882bc6s-1920.jpg

Oh thanks for that, I do get a bit lost with technology anyway so it should be fun!

And guess what phone I just bought? Well it's not labelled Huawei but it's an Honor 9 Lite made by Huawei. I have put Android auto on it so will see if it works when I go?

Harry

Thanks for the advice guys, I BOUGHT IT!!

Took it for a spin, lovely.  Registered Jan 2016, it is quite an upgrade on my Seat Mii which although a nice little car to drive and top of the range 'Mango' it's very basic in comparison to this Fabia.

vc-10...... I took your advice and checked the Menu and yes it has Smart Link. Love the s/s and Front Driver Assist, Park pilot is great too.

The other things that impressed me were Disc brakes all round on this model and the 6 speed gearbox.

I pick it up tomorrow evening and if I can ever find out how to do it, I'll change my Avatar and post a pic.

Thanks again

Harry (aka dog with two tails :dance:)

• Like 2

I've a feeling the Honour 9 might have been one of the phones that's awkward! At the end of the day it's a nice to have, not an essential. You can still pair via Bluetooth, and have the phone held in a clip when you need to navigate. 

1 hour ago, vc-10 said:

I've a feeling the Honour 9 might have been one of the phones that's awkward! At the end of the day it's a nice to have, not an essential. You can still pair via Bluetooth, and have the phone held in a clip when you need to navigate. 

I'm just about to set off to pick it up:dance: so I'll know soon. The guy at Skoda said he'd pair it for me and show me how.

I'll let you know'

Harry

19 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

Congratulation Harry! You won't be sorry. Can't wait for your report on the motor. Mine is the same colour as yours!

Ian

Cheers mate, just brought it home. Unfortunately collecting it at 5pm placed me in rush hour traffic so hardly got out of second gear, I'll report once I've had a decent run in it.

Quite a bit of stuff I need to get used to. The 6 speed manual box is different to anything I've had before. I'm not sure whether I aught to be in 5th or 6th once I get up to a bit of speed on our busy A road. I just couldn't afford the DSG option available but I am comfortable with a manual box and it is quite a smooth gear change.

The only real Bummer is, as vc-10 suggested above, I have now found that my phone is NOT compatible. I really want to be able to use Smart Link and Android Auto to it's fullest so, even though I only just bought my Honor 9 lite by Huawei  it looks like I'll have to sell it on and buy another phone.

The guy from Skoda has promised to send me a list of compatible phones so I'll wait for that.

Great to be back on the forum in proper 'owner' guise:biggrin:

Harry

48 minutes ago, RickW said:

I use a Samsung Galaxy edge with Android Auto and it's never let me down yet.

Is that an Edge 6 or Edge 7 or does it matter? I'm hopeless on phones and technology as an old git but I'm determined to get there.

I want to make completely sure my Honor 9 lite will not work before I change it ( i.e. that I have all the phone settings right) and when/if I have to I'll be looking for a sub £200 phone as I simply won't use it enough to warrant spending a lot on it.

Harry

Mine is the edge 7 but I don't know if the 6 would work as seamlessly as mine sorry.

I did use a cheap Motorola Android with it before this and it was always letting me down.

• Thanks 1

I'm using Huawei P9 with no problems at all.

If looking for a 200£ phone, I'd go with the new Nokia 6 just released (https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/nokia-6-2018-uk-3668928/). All Nokias come with vanilla Android (meaning Android as Google wants it to be) with no skins, EMUIs, bloatware etc in them. This means Google services are 100% guaranteed to work.

If looking for Nokias, just make sure to get the new 2018 model 6 and not the last years model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teraja said:

I'm using Huawei P9 with no problems at all.

If looking for a 200£ phone, I'd go with the new Nokia 6 just released (https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/nokia-6-2018-uk-3668928/). All Nokias come with vanilla Android (meaning Android as Google wants it to be) with no skins, EMUIs, bloatware etc in them. This means Google services are 100% guaranteed to work.

If looking for Nokias, just make sure to get the new 2018 model 6 and not the last years model.

Thanks for your help and advice. I have googled 'compatible phones ' and I see your P9 on there. There are a couple of Honor Phones too P6 and P 7. My own phone is a 'new' Honor 9 lite and does not show but that may just be because it's a new model.

I'm not giving up on it just yet, I'll ask some of the more 'tech savvy' members of my family to check out the settings and see if they get any success. If not I will look at Nokia as you suggest. I see the 2018 Nokia 6 here in the UK is £229 which is a bit more than I wanted to pay. My Honor 9 lite was £169 and is a lovely phone,  (until I try to use Android Auto in my car:blush )

Harry

From what I've heard, it's just Huawei phones that are giving issues with Android Auto. I've had no issues with my OnePlus phones (3T and 5T), and only minor issues with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (I think because it was trying to connect both Android Auto and MirrorLink at the same time).

I've heard good things about the new Nokia range of phones, particularly the new 6. The cheap Motorola phones are meant to be pretty decent too. I'd wholeheartedly recommend OnePlus phones, but they're a fair way above your £200 budget! Even a second hand OnePlus 3 is more than £200 from CEX in decent condition. If your budget is £200, I'd honestly recommend trying to push that extra £30 for the Nokia 6 2018. Carphone Warehouse are currently offering it with a free Google Home Mini speaker, which normally costs around £35, so you could always sell that on to cover part of that cost (or give it to one of your tech savy relatives for their birthday!)

This link has info about Huawei phones not working. 

2 hours ago, vc-10 said:

From what I've heard, it's just Huawei phones that are giving issues with Android Auto. I've had no issues with my OnePlus phones (3T and 5T), and only minor issues with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (I think because it was trying to connect both Android Auto and MirrorLink at the same time).

I've heard good things about the new Nokia range of phones, particularly the new 6. The cheap Motorola phones are meant to be pretty decent too. I'd wholeheartedly recommend OnePlus phones, but they're a fair way above your £200 budget! Even a second hand OnePlus 3 is more than £200 from CEX in decent condition. If your budget is £200, I'd honestly recommend trying to push that extra £30 for the Nokia 6 2018. Carphone Warehouse are currently offering it with a free Google Home Mini speaker, which normally costs around £35, so you could always sell that on to cover part of that cost (or give it to one of your tech savy relatives for their birthday!)

This link has info about Huawei phones not working. 

Thanks for your input. See my new thread above. Seems you have to have USB Bugging turned on. Mine now appears to be working fine.

Harry

5 hours ago, vc-10 said:

Glad you're all sorted Harry! 

Cheers mate and thanks for all your help.

I'm glad I was determined to delve deeper into the settings and research online. I wonder how many Huawei and Honor phones have been thought to be not compatible?. It's not easy to find the de bugging setting without someone explains and it can be found on Youtube. It IS easy to switch on once you know how to find it.

My phone ( Huawei Honor 9 Lite) is now working fine and I've spent quite some time playing about and enjoying this amazing technology.

Harry

5 hours ago, abaxas said:

110hp in a fabia..... it might not be hot but it's going to be at least 'warm' :)

My days of 'hot' are well behind me. I'm sure this will do well in excess of any speed I'll be doing.

My previous Mii with the 74 ps was great and fine on the motorway but overtaking slower vehicles on A roads had to be planned well in advance. It will be a lot easier in the Fabia,

Actually there is a video on youtube  This guy gets in excess of 130 mph ( 211 kph) on his speedo. I'll not be trying it and take his video as sufficient :sweat:

1 hour ago, Estate Man said:

I've never been short of power in mine Harry. Plenty in hand at anytime for almost any occasion you may come across. Enjoy mate!

Hi mate

as I said plenty of power for me in fact far more than I need.  I went to Scotland in the Seat Mii 74 ps and took the A95 up towards the Moray Firth. It's all twists and twines with only a few straight bits. Having got behind 2 Caravans I was 40 miles without being able to overtake! The Fabia would have passed no probs whereas the Mii with 2 up and luggage didn't have the power to overtake safely. Have to say the little Mii was surprisingly comfortable though.

I love the 1.2 tsi engine. Had the Mk2 105 ps with Dsg which was great. This newer 110ps one feels a bit pokier but I have yet to have a decent run in it.