Diesel or Petrol

crocks

Sorry, we always seem to have this argument..

I have this work commute, that is about 10 miles there, 10 miles back so 20 miles in total a day, takes about 30 minutes to commute, I've never had this question fully answered, but is it generally frowned upon doing this sort of commute distance on a Diesel with a DPF car? is there a risk of stuffing up the DPF?

As for road types, it's generally country roads, 40-60mph crusing speed for the vast majority with only a bit of 20/30mph "town" driving at the end.

What's everyones thoughts?

Edited by crocks
  • Like 1

Get the bike out and pedal or electric motor ! Speak to George he will put you right.

Win win.

Skoda make very good bikes.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Petrol car, or electric bike.

Or there is Electric cars, like a Renault Zoe for about £6,000 or a Petrol Hybrid Toyota Yaris or similar. Again around £6,000.

Just done 400 miles in 6 hours and used 33 litres of diesel, so horses for courses.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Offski said:

Petrol car, or electric bike.

Just done 400 miles in 6 hours and used 33 litres of diesel, so horses for courses.

Not bad George 55 mpg about the same as my !UP ( Citigo) but you probably had more occupants on board.

Edited by vrskeith

I used to have a journey like yours - diesel was not the best of ideas.

Get yourself a petrol.

Since I switched to 60 mile round trips - it became more worth it and more so when it became 300+mile round trips.

So.. to reiterate - get yourself a petrol and if you find your mileage jumping up to something silly - then invest in a diesel.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, crocks said:

Sorry, we always seem to have this argument..

I have this work commute, that is about 10 miles there, 10 miles back so 20 miles in total a day, takes about 30 minutes to commute, I've never had this question fully answered, but is it generally frowned upon doing this sort of commute distance on a Diesel with a DPF car? is there a risk of stuffing up the DPF?

As for road types, it's generally country roads, 40-60mph crusing speed for the vast majority with only a bit of 20/30mph "town" driving at the end.

What's everyones thoughts?

Don't get the diesel if you are driving in to one of the 45 largest cities in  the UK which are moving towards charging cars that produce significant levels of NOX.  If the charge is £20 or s, like London, could work out expensive.  This seems to be why diesel sales represent less than a thord of new cars sales despite the huge discounts being given off them. Buy one at your peril for residuals and future costs accessing larger cities/towns. 

• Like 1

Im giving you a like crocks, 

Just coz (ignore content count) after 10yrs you deserve at least one!!

Dont get a diesel, regardless of "fix status" it will not be happy in 10mile journeys.

Hybrid or ev is where you want to be now

Don’t forget that the euro6 ones aren’t the polluting ones the mayors are complaining about.

Diesel ‘savings’ relate to high annual mileage.

9 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Don’t forget that the euro6 ones aren’t the polluting ones the mayors are complaining about.

you have a C4P ?

220px-C4P_%2802%29.jpg

Peugeot 3008 just voted top car to own in British Auto Express survey of 80,000

Toyota/Lexus did very well. Most of top twenty were Japanese or Korean......

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-2018-results

• Haha 1

http://telegraph.co.uk/cars/peugeot/2017-peugeot-3008-long-term-review 

AUTOEXPRESS have the Peugeot 3008 as 'Best Small 4x4 you can buy 2018'  2017 as well, even though neither a 4x4 (AWD) or small.

http://autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/3008/100958/peugeot-3008-best-small-4x4s 

Best Crossover / Smaller SUV would be the right class. (that might or might not have AWD!)

The Suzuki Ignis comes with AWD, as does a Panda, but why bother about them being small & actually able to put drive to front or rear wheels, 

and to both at the same time.

Edited by Offski

27 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

you have a C4P ?

220px-C4P_%2802%29.jpg

Peugeot 3008 just voted top car to own in British Auto Express survey of 80,000

Toyota/Lexus did very well. Most of top twenty were Japanese or Korean......

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-2018-results

5.2/100 on cheap E10/95 for the last 9,000 kms.   The Prince engine, Aisin 6 and the aero efficiency can produce phenomenal economy.

You have to love these surveys. 

In 3rd place of 'the best cars to own' is the Alfa Romeo Giulia scoring 93.06%

Has it ever gone wrong? Yes 40.3%

I must rush out to buy an unreliable car.:D

1 minute ago, moley said:

You have to love these surveys. 

In 3rd place of 'the best cars to own' is the Alfa Romeo Giulia scoring 93.06%

Has it ever gone wrong? Yes 40.3%

I must rush out to buy an unreliable car.:D

Aren’t they all generally an amalgam of European components, all capable of being substandard to a similar degree.

Audi is not a brand one would describe as being the epitome of reliability in comparison to Alfa Romeo.

21 hours ago, Ryeman said:

But certain local councils have a blanket policy of charging extra to park if you own a diesel. Regardless of Euro spec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bspman said:

But certain local councils have a blanket policy of charging extra to park if you own a diesel. Regardless of Euro spec.

I suspect there are more harmful particulate problems with non GPF  equiped petrol powered cars than euro6 diesels.

'They' are not that concerned about health, 

just charging more for diesels not banning diesels that are the most polluting, or petrols even.

Not banning anything belching out smoke or fumes, or actually stopping older vehicles that are heavy polluters passing a UK MOT if they are from a time where their high emissions was expected and accepted.

20 miles a day?

You don't need a diesel mate, just trouble waiting to happen.

Diesel is only worth it if you do a lot of miles. I do about 17-20k a year almost all at 70mph so I get the best use of diesel.

20 miles a day depending on your house I'd definitely be looking at an electric, something like a used Nissan Leaf.

• Like 2