Free Sat Nav App

Does anyone know of a good, reliable sat nav app that does not use any mobile data (like i believe Google Maps does), but is also compatible with Android Auto?

I use Waze..... it does use mobile data but according to my phone only 142mb over the course of a month.

I tether an old phone to my mobile so there may be a bit of data from updates in there too.

• Like 1

Ok thanks.

I currently only get 500mb per month allowance, so was hoping for something that didn't use any ideally.

Google maps can download sections of map so it'll probably work quite well offline or at least significantly reduce the data usage.

Waze always needs data as it can't download areas.

I think those are your only choices at the moment :)

Thanks again,

After doing a bit more research, it seems that a lot of the data used for google maps is when you first set up the route and download it.

Therefore if i do this at home on the wifi, it should use minimum data.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, chuno said:

After doing a bit more research, it seems that a lot of the data used for google maps is when you first set up the route and download it.

It'll use data whenever it needs to, this could be traffic info, if it hasn't fully downloaded the entire route or if you detour.

9 minutes ago, chuno said:

It does have a offline mode for exactly this reason: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

A good chunk of England takes up ~1400MB on my phone but smaller areas would take up less space. It'll update the maps about every 30 days on your WiFi too. If you are within WiFi range when you start navigation the you should also get current traffic info but obviously it won't update as you drive.

This seems to be exactly what you want, if you decide you do want traffic data etc whilst driving, just change it back to online mode :)

Thanks very much for that. Interesting.

So if i download the maps to an SD card and put it in the slot in the car, will i even need my phone at all??

26 minutes ago, chuno said:

it seems that a lot of the data used for google maps is when you first set up the route and download it.

similar with Waze

16 minutes ago, chuno said:

So if i download the maps to an SD card and put it in the slot in the car, will i even need my phone at all??

The SD card would need to be in your phone, not the car. It'll depend on exactly which phone you have to whether it has an SD slot.

Google suggests that Wales would take up 400-500MB which isn't too bad depending where you typically drive.

• Like 1

I use CoPilot on my iPhone7+ which downloads the entire map (3.83GB for Europe, but I believe you can buy UK only which is 480MB) which only uses mobile data if you have active traffic enabled (to warn of congestion, etc.).

I believe Waze can download the maps to the phone (if you have enough space) so the actual use of Mobile Data is minimal (to provide traffic updates for Jams/Accidents etc) It also updates the maps occasionally.

If you have an iPhone you can't use Waze with CarPlay though, only Apple Maps

Google maps is pretty efficient with data usage these days. The Mountain View gnomes have a vested interest in knowing where you are all the time so they are always working on improving it. The live traffic info is a life saver if you live near a traffic disaster-zone such as Bristol.

For off-line navigation I am a fan of the Open Street Map (OSMAnd) app - which may be Android only. No traffic info and only basic navigation (no waypoints or routing options) but you can get map tiles for the whole world, and it is very useful for foreign travel. 

• 1 month later...

I heard that Google are pretty selective about which apps they allow to integrate into Android Auto, so you may be waiting a long time. 

Seriously why not just use some of your data allowance and use Google Maps? 

I've used Navmii (Android) which is free and allows the UK maps to be downloaded.

There are chargeable upgrades - doped cameras etc, but the last time I used it the basic satnav was still F.O.C. and required no data.

With Google maps you can download areas to use in offline mode. This would massively reduce your data requirements even if keeping data turned on for traffic info. You can use it with data off and it works fine on the GPS signal. I have used this a number of times both at home (in low signal areas) and abroad.

Just checked and the whole of the south (Cornwall to Kent, up to M4) is roughly 650mb on storage.  Downloaded on WiFi of course.