YETILESS AFTER 4 HAPPY YEARS

Sad555

2 hours ago, edencampers said:

Yes it will have eyesight, but no spare wheel...that seems familar, though there is a deep well and mountimgs for one. 

Maybe my Yeti spare will fit, but I think its an inch to small, heard that before too.

My Subaru does not have a spare but that now seems to be the “preferred” solution to help reducing the emissions during testing.

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

If you’ve a 17 incher an inch less wont make much difference,I’m also spare wheel less and always felt I needed one but after many years of not using it and the one time i did I had to call the breakdown service anyway so my first car with the gunk.

I have had spare wheels in the past and would probably prefer one but many years ago my wife’s sister’s fiancé was killed changing a wheel at the road side. It was not his car but that of a stranded mum at the roadside who he was helping. The driver did not stop.

I use the M1 quite a lot and frankly would never attempt a wheel change having seen the result of cars and lorries plowing into stationary cars on the hard shoulder.

• Like 1

With a Subaru / AWD use a correct size spare wheel.

It is nice to have one so that after being recovered to a safe place off the motorway it can be fitted and continue your journey rather than having to go to a Tyre Fitting establishment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

My Subaru does not have a spare but that now seems to be the “preferred” solution to help reducing the emissions during testing.

I have had spare wheels in the past and would probably prefer one but many years ago my wife’s sister’s fiancé was killed changing a wheel at the road side. It was not his car but that of a stranded mum at the roadside who he was helping. The driver did not stop.

I use the M1 quite a lot and frankly would never attempt a wheel change having seen the result of cars and lorries plowing into stationary cars on the hard shoulder.

Sadly you are right, a police driver I know told me never to try and change a wheel by the side of a road, he had been to too many 'incidents' where the wheel changer, or his car, had been hit by passing vehicles resulting in injury to the motorist; sometimes life changing. Call the AA or any breakdown service and get them to sort you out, it is just not worth the risk.

• Like 1

I noted someone on the other carriageway of the M1 a few weeks ago. Car on hard shoulder, but not even as far back as it could have gone. Front offside wheel jacked up. Male laying on back on road to reach under behind wheel for some reason.

Half his body was over the line and in the slow lane!

How he wasn't squashed by the hgv's passing inches away from him is just a matter of luck. I guess he was lucky that day as a death wasn't on the news.

Its not just hard shoulders either, very few places are safe to work on a car near live traffic lanes.

• Like 2

‘In 40 odd years of driving cars, motorbikes, and lorries I can remember every single puncture, only one occured whilst driving and that was in the mid 80s on the M6 just short of “ Spagetti Junction” in Birmingham.

At around 0730 traffic wasnt going very fast and as no one uses the inside lane any way ( dont get me started) I decided to have a go, with hazards and rear fog light on, my briefcase and a warning triangle further back up on the hard shoulder I changed the wheel in about 5 minutes. The Police arrived as I was collecting my briefcase and triangle.... they parked in front of of me, so much for their protection.

Having a spare is not about changing it on the side of the road and I doubt if I would do that now, but its about having something so we can maintain progress, no spare on a Sunday in France means....well wait until ...Tuesday, if you are lucky. 

On every other occasion I have spotted the problem with something in the tyre and changed the wheel in a place of safety before setting off. I would think this must average out at about one incident every other year, so I believe a spare is vital. 

3 hours ago, edencampers said:

‘In 40 odd years of driving cars, motorbikes, and lorries I can remember every single puncture, only one occured whilst driving and that was in the mid 80s on the M6 just short of “ Spagetti Junction” in Birmingham.

At around 0730 traffic wasnt going very fast and as no one uses the inside lane any way ( dont get me started) I decided to have a go, with hazards and rear fog light on, my briefcase and a warning triangle further back up on the hard shoulder I changed the wheel in about 5 minutes. The Police arrived as I was collecting my briefcase and triangle.... they parked in front of of me, so much for their protection.

Having a spare is not about changing it on the side of the road and I doubt if I would do that now, but its about having something so we can maintain progress, no spare on a Sunday in France means....well wait until ...Tuesday, if you are lucky. 

On every other occasion I have spotted the problem with something in the tyre and changed the wheel in a place of safety before setting off. I would think this must average out at about one incident every other year, so I believe a spare is vital. 

Gosh, you must be very unlucky to need a spare wheel every other year!

9 hours ago, Expatman said:

I've experienced three punctures during the fifteen months I've owned my Yeti.  So on average, I've needed a spare wheel every five months! 

Fortunately on each occasion, punctures have been slow enough to allow me to find a safe location to change the wheel.

One of those occasions was in the middle of Dartmoor, miles from any mobile phone signal, with sidewall damage that a goo can may not have repaired.

Like Edencampers, I believe a spare wheel is vital.  But these days I also carry a repair kit, goo can and inflator.  I think I'm becoming paranoid :D

36 minutes ago, Robjon said:

I've experienced three punctures during the fifteen months I've owned my Yeti.  So on average, I've needed a spare wheel every five months! 

Fortunately on each occasion, punctures have been slow enough to allow me to find a safe location to change the wheel.

One of those occasions was in the middle of Dartmoor, miles from any mobile phone signal, with sidewall damage that a goo can may not have repaired.

Like Edencampers, I believe a spare wheel is vital.  But these days I also carry a repair kit, goo can and inflator.  I think I'm becoming paranoid :D

Either paranoid or "THEY" really are out to get you!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Expatman said:

I dont think I was unlucky but I did do lots of miles.

But I aways have a walk around and look at the vehicle and have found inclusions in the tyres  but not yet punctures, in 3 or 4 cases the screw or nail hadnt pierced the tyre only the tread, but it might have done if I had carried on driving on it.

So the wheel was changed and checked at a suitable tyre fitter. Twice I have had problems with split valves, checking the tyre pressure they leaked from the base, again as I had a spare I could change it.

Short screw? Brave man ,I would have left it in until I got to a garage ,well that’s what I did on my works van they can go on for weeks (sometimes)

• 3 weeks later...

Goodbye Yeti hello Outback

swapped cars today, the Yeti is a brilliant car and am a bit sad to see it go, first impressions of outback... well its bigger, doesnt steer as well as yeti but seems very planted, quick, love the cvt, and the adaptive cruise, lots of things to learn about.

I’ll say more in 3 months

23913D59-973C-4E35-8295-3BBB11096C03.jpeg

• Like 3

I've spent the best part of a week looking online at replacement cars via youtube reviews, car website etc. My PCH isn't due up til next March but if I wanted to order a new build to replace it I'd need to be making a decision soonish.

I've concluded that nothing really fits the bill 100% in terms of cost, features, engine choice etc. Apart from my current Yeti that is :biggrin:

The Kia Soul comes close but the engine choice/colour etc combinations that are available don't totally match what I want or need.

So currently I'm considering buying the Yeti I have and keeping it for some time. My mileage nowadays is very low so I probably don't need many bells and whistles, but I can't bring myself to compromise by buying a smaller featureless car. I know and love the car I have so unless something new but equally affordable appears then I'm not going to be Yetiless any time soon.

• Like 4

Your right Mariek the Yeti does take some beating but for me as I didn’t need 4x4  or diesel,plus the extra weight that came with it and as I was happy with the soul colour which would have been my choice anyway.it’s so much fun to drive plus a lot of new tech with a more powerful engine ,so smooth and I’m enjoying the dsg 7 speed so for me it’s an improvement on my yeti in almost every way even the petrol economy not far from the diesel so your in a good position owning the yeti petrol and waiting for something that suits you to catch you eye ,if there hadn’t been potential VAG  diesel issues and with mine being out of warranty as I had planned to keep it but I’m now more than happy  I changed so best of luck ,let us know how it goes.

Edited by Sad555

Also about to join the ex Yeti club, my leased SE spec 1.2 tsi DSG is about to go back

Today, I took delivery of a new Seat Arona Xcelence Lux 1.0 tsi (115) DSG

And it drives brilliantly, haven’t yet had a chance to try out many of the features, but liking it very much.  

The downsizing was our choice, just 3 of us so do t need big car, and living on London-Surrey border the smaller size is much easier to park

Would have stayed with Skoda, but couldn’t wait for 2019 for their version (or is it a version of T-cross) to come out

• Like 1

On 06/08/2018 at 15:26, MarieK said:

I've spent the best part of a week looking online at replacement cars via youtube reviews, car website etc. My PCH isn't due up til next March but if I wanted to order a new build to replace it I'd need to be making a decision soonish.

I've concluded that nothing really fits the bill 100% in terms of cost, features, engine choice etc. Apart from my current Yeti that is :biggrin:

The Kia Soul comes close but the engine choice/colour etc combinations that are available don't totally match what I want or need.

So currently I'm considering buying the Yeti I have and keeping it for some time. My mileage nowadays is very low so I probably don't need many bells and whistles, but I can't bring myself to compromise by buying a smaller featureless car. I know and love the car I have so unless something new but equally affordable appears then I'm not going to be Yetiless any time soon.

I did the same looking on line and decided to replace my "old" Yeti with a new one from final manufacturing run. Glad I did as I still can't see anything to match it in terms of specs, engine or size. I am hoping the new Yeti small SUV due late 2019 will be  a better replacement for the Yeti when I come to change in 2021'ish - it will have had 2 years to settle in but I fear that if it follows the Arona & T-Cross it will be significantly degraded compared to the Yeti. Car magazine describes the Yeti as 'likeable' compared to newer Skoda's, and that's just it, the Yeti is undefinably likeable. How do you replicate that?

• Like 1

Got to disagree on that one expatman as I think my soul beats the yeti on spec ,ride and performance and I had the L & k spec,but that’s only my view.

On 14/08/2018 at 17:56, Sad555 said:

Got to disagree on that one expatman as I think my soul beats the yeti on spec ,ride and performance and I had the L & k spec,but that’s only my view.

Well, after your comments I just had to go and have another look and a ride. I guess it is all down to personal opinion but I found the Soul okay but not really any advance on the Yeti. Steering seemed lifeless and the ride was harder than my Yeti - which to be fair is on 16" wheels - so a bit softer than 17" shod Yeti's. Interior was nice but a bit "old" compared to Ateca and Karoq. To be honest it didn't really make any real impression on me, just another smallish SUV.

• Like 1

Appreciate your thoughts but we appear to be comparing different models,mines the sport with 18s wheels (so you won’t like those)and comes with far more tech that my  L & K inc sunroof ,digital display,8inch satnav with apple CarPlay  plus the perky 200bhp engine and a much brighter interior than the gloomy  ateca,to be fair I didn’t even compare to karot and after looking at some of the issues I’m glad.

Edited by Sad555

7 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Appreciate your thoughts but we appear to be comparing different models,mines the sport with 18s wheels (so you won’t like those)and comes with far more tech that my  L & K inc sunroof ,digital display,8inch satnav with apple CarPlay  plus the perky 200bhp engine and a much brighter interior than the gloomy  ateca,to be fair I didn’t even compare to karot and after looking at some of the issues I’m glad.

Yes, the model I tried was certainly not the Sport so undoubtedly was missing some of the "nice to haves". I absolutely agree about the gloomy interior of the Ateca, but that is a beef I have about almost all smallish SUV's in that they now seem to have small rear windows both on the sides and the back with limited vision and light. I guess it's just fashion and maybe buyers will grow out of it after a while. Soul did have a  brighter interior and I hope the new model due next year retains that bright interior.

One of my main reasons for buying another Yeti was the bright cabin with large windows all round.

Anyway enjoy your Soul and lets hope the new small Skoda due in 2019 will have an airy light interior.

• Like 1