YETILESS AFTER 4 HAPPY YEARS

Sad555

Further observations:

Limited build options e.g. You can only get a Soul 3 in diesel, or a Sport in petrol auto/dsg, limited colour options too

Black Soul looks even more like a hearse than the Yeti :D

I'm still interested, will consider it as an option nearer car change time. The shape excites me in a yeti way, where the karoq etc doesn't. 

Life is a compomise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????as a young man listening to men of a certain age going through the stress of deciding what the colour of their next car was going to be ,...when I was thinking how to keep mine running and getting it through the M O T............also when you are of a certain age you don’t find a black car that looks like a hearse that appealing .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Life is a compomise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????as a young man listening to men of a certain age going through the stress of deciding what the colour of their next car was going to be ,...when I was thinking how to keep mine running and getting it through the M O T

............also when you are of a certain age you don’t find a black car that looks like a hearse that appealing .

Love it :)

I'me sure Marie is still happy with her Yeti. I had a Grand Cherokee when I lived in US many years ago, great car for US driving and with a 4.0 Litre engine got almost 18 MPG, so wonderful when gas was 97 cents a gallon.

On 5/5/2018 at 22:37, Robjon said:

Would you consider another Jeep, Marie?

I did like the Jeep and still admire them when I see them out and about. The main reason for changing back to Yeti (aside from my love for the model) was to help enable me to afford early retirement. A PCH deal gave me a brand new Yeti before they disappeared and at a far lower monthly cost. 

I wouldn't rule out another Renegade but I have to consider that my needs have now changed as I no longer live in the back of beyond and I do far less mileage. I also have far less income! So I'll be weighing up cost and practicalities for my next deal, but I like the yeti/soul/renegade shape and height.

I'll either try to keep the Yeti longer or choose wisely for a longer term instead of changing every 2 to 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had a look prompted by the comments above.  See what you're saying about the specs.  Can't have a petrol auto (DCT) in ANY other spec than the top of the range "Sport" ... with it's 18" '45' rubber band-ish wheel/tyre combination.

Why so much choice in diesel and so little in petrol?  Haven't they been looking at the press lately - or have I simply got all that wrong?

Point taken re. the colours too.  The orange only in the "Sport" and a slightly  limited choice in the lesser ranges.

Last question ... it says "New Soul".  When was it introduced in it's "New" form?  It looks mighty similar to how I remember the previous one looking. 

Bit disappointed really - the Mrs. always points them out saying she approves of the shape and I quite relish the idea of the long warranty.

Oh well, such is life.

OLDSTAN I don’t have anything to do with the production or colour choice,I believe the facelift with a different floor pan was introduced 2years ago and a new model is being introduced next year.this model just appealed to me.       .1vag killed the diesel,                                 .2 this model has a panoramic roof and more power less torque  than the i&k.        .3 the quality has greatly improved  and it’s a similar size and shape as the yeti.       .4 not a big fan of dct as I’ve always had manuals so a bit of a compromise ,but it was good to drive and had a long list of extras and a very high spec.                       .5 I had set myself a below £20,000 budget.                                                           .6. I’m not suggesting it’s better than the yeti but with concern about egr,dpf and changes in future mot testing it suits me and although my yeti was pretty much trouble free there is quite a list of things that can go wrong and I never had the FIX and felt it could gone on and on as many do but after 4years of a great car didn’t want to take any possible risks but that’s me and I could be wrong but that’s what it’s all about.

Further notice taken of replies, thank you (and do rather realise you're not personally responsible for the specs or colours).

It still holds some interest - but would hold even more if the configuration was a bit more flexible  i.e. the ability to have a petrol DCT but without having to have it in Sport spec. 

In the light of the mixed reviews of DSG, and being the owner of a DSG equipped vehicle which has had a new clutch pack under warranty, it could be thought slightly inadvisable to consider another DCT - and it's only the length of the warranty that would encourage me to consider it.  To be honest I'm happy with the way the DSG (DCT) drives, but am less happy that they've caused so much grief to quite a lot of people.

You've confirmed what I thought - that they call it "New Soul" but that actually it's not all that "New". Didn't know there was another "New" one due next year.

Forgive me ... I've got confused ... something told me you'd gone for the Sport (and therefore a DCT automatic) but you had a budget of below £20k.  The list is £23,780.  Presumably the final price after discount was below £20k.  That being the case, a respectable discount was allowed.

• Like 1

There is talk of a 4 x 4 version that a NEW floor pan will accommodate ,not many high sales in the uk ,but a big seller in the USA..............it takes a bit of time but there are some BIG discounts to be had,fancied a Honda hrv with £5000 off but the 1.5 petrol engine was a bit noisy and uninspiring 

07AB7F9D-EA87-459B-8518-8AE46B329306.png

5A42755A-6B10-442F-AC19-967A0157AF6B.jpeg

Edited by Sad555

And thank you once more. 

I shall look out for news of the above mentioned.

All the time the DSG works as it should there isn't an urgency attached to replacing it.  Having said that if it becomes defective tomorrow I shall be less than amused :dry:

I keep an eye on what peeps here suggest as Yeti alternatives and don't have any hitherto undiscovered suggestions, but, for me, the Vitara comes nearest as we speak. Especially with a torque converter transmission.

A local Suzuki dealer offers to extend the warranty on a year on year basis after the manufacturer's warranty expires provided they do the annual servicing.  This almost equals the attraction of the Kia warranty (provided they remain in business, of course).

• Like 1

I'm with you on the torque converter gearbox.  One of the reasons I bought a CR-V as they were one of the few petrol autos to use these gearboxes.  I say "were" because even Honda appear to have moved away from them, meaning I will be keeping mine for some time.  No doubt we will get the usual chorus of "they sap power", "they push up petrol consumption, etc. etc., however I couldn't give a t*ss about that.  What I do like about them is they are extremely easy to use with no hidden peculiar characteristics, i.e. Put it into drive until destination reached, put it in park, having been around since the 30's, they are pretty much fault free if not abused and they are totally predictable in operation.

Standing by for the flack.

• Like 2

I’ve never really been interested in anything except manual as that’s what I’ve had for 50yrs and have probably been put of by torque converters by the bad press they get in this country but in the USA the large majority of vehicles are autos .

That’s the good thing about the dsg box.

It is an automated manual, it won’t stall, will change gear all day for you if you want, but you can do all the gear changing yourself if that is your pleasure. If in manual mode and you forget to change It will do so to protect the engine.

When accelerating hard it can change much faster than you can.

11 hours ago, Sad555 said:

I’ve never really been interested in anything except manual as that’s what I’ve had for 50yrs and have probably been put of by torque converters by the bad press they get in this country but in the USA the large majority of vehicles are autos .

Torque converters are the most proven and reliable automatic gearboxes. Problems reported in UK generally relate to DSG type boxes.

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

EXPATMAN Yes your RIGHT ,seen a few reports on you tube etc and the fact Honda and Subaru and Lexus have them with out problems it appears the British press have a downer on them for some reason and whenever there is a comparison of gearboxes they always avoid them,might be because vag don’t use them!

Edited by Sad555

Some Honda, Toyota, Subaru and many others have CVT's (Lineartronic - Subaru)   Very good CVT's.

VW were going to have 10 Speed DSG and others will have more and more gears to get economy, or less gears and electric motors or combinations.

10 Speed on vehicles in a country with a 60 MPH NSL (70 ) is like a CVT really.

Just now is a period of change, or is that 'Crossover' with these Small, Medium & large SUV's with or without AWD. 

Maybe just Traction Control FWD and winning 4x4 / SUV best cars, ie 3008 / 5008

VW Group seem to have issues getting 1.5TSI EVO DSG with AWD and the low emissions required next year.

If an Petrol Auto is needed but not AWD then the Kia Niro 1.6 petrol / hybrid with DCT is worth checking out.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Interesting comments on the above couple of posts. Having driven my last two Yetis with DSG’s I was somewhat sceptical about my test drive with the Sunbaru I finally bought.  Having driven it now for real I’m impressed with the smoothness and intelligence in the Lineartronic box. It’s very responsive albeit with some increase in engine revs if you call for sharp acceleration but this latest generation of Subaru transmission must be driven before assuming it’s just another CVT.  I believe that for some time Audi used a Multitronic box which was CVT based but VW wanted all cars in the group to use the DSG boxes.  If I’d stuck to my historic views on cars I’d never have bought a Skoda living through a period when Skoda were the bunt of very joke about the value and performance.

• Like 1

Yes, my previous Audi A6 estate had the Multitronic box and it was very smooth. Whilst it was well designed from the not high revving point of view (unlike the early DAFs etc.) I was never completely happy with the revs not matching the relatively speed, being used to manuals and one DSG. Would have kept it though as it was a lovely car and luxurious but it spent most of it's life sitting on the drive so changed it for something totally impractical!

I think that one of the main reasons for it being dropped though was that the fuel consumption never came close to the manual boxes even though the official test figures were very close. I wasn't particularly worried about the fuel consumption as doing a low mileage. It did have paddles for "manual" but with 8 preset "gears" you really wouldn't to be using it that much. I think that was one of the reasons for the 10 speed DSG being dropped i.e. too many gears for use in manual mode.

Don't know if they still do, but Audi used the torque convertor boxes with the more powerful vehicles e.g. with the 3.0 V6 and above petrols and diesels.

Edited by VAGCF

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Interesting comments on the above couple of posts. Having driven my last two Yetis with DSG’s I was somewhat sceptical about my test drive with the Sunbaru I finally bought.  Having driven it now for real I’m impressed with the smoothness and intelligence in the Lineartronic box. It’s very responsive albeit with some increase in engine revs if you call for sharp acceleration but this latest generation of Subaru transmission must be driven before assuming it’s just another CVT.  I believe that for some time Audi used a Multitronic box which was CVT based but VW wanted all cars in the group to use the DSG boxes.  If I’d stuck to my historic views on cars I’d never have bought a Skoda living through a period when Skoda were the bunt of very joke about the value and performance.

COME on ernieb, spill the bean so whats your thoughts on the Scooby so far?

Just now, Sad555 said:

COME on ernieb, spill the bean so whats your thoughts on the Scooby so far?

It’s early days with only just under 400 miles on the clock, engine etc., is still probably tight and I’m the sort of driver who takes car not to over revs the engine in the early stages of ownership. We’ve done some varied driving, country, motorway, urban stop start the usual stuff for us and I’m now sitting in Derbyshire a place we see as our second home. I intend to do a comprehensive review once I’ve clock up some more miles and taken time to fully evaluate the cars technology and functionality.

Interestingly I ask my other half if she’d go back to the Yeti and got a look that can only be described as the 1000 yard stare and then “no way” as the answer. I’d think that anyone who drove the car would be impressed with the overall visability, it’s quite staggering the all round view that the design offers coupled with, for me, an excellent driving position. Apart from the Sat Nav (powered by TomTom) it has two MFD displays which can display pages of different information. For example I can have maps displayed on the Sat Nav, directions on the central MFD and large MPG etc., on the drivers MFD.  I’m now getting comfortable with the technology which is standard across the range, the Eyesight system sees, cars, lorries, bikes, people and tail lights and has a range, in good conditions of 130mtrs so that the adaptive cruise troll braking is very smooth at coming to a stop if required and restarts at the touch of the throttle, quite scary at first.  I like the wide view rear camera and guidance lines that turn with the steering wheel makes reversing a doddle in tight spots. I also like the steerable LED headlight which auto dip and seem to work very well, I’ve had no one flashing me as yet. I’ve not got all the settings to my liking and I need to spend more time fiddling with how I want the meme pages ordered, select some customisable ones for myself, at present I pole though stuff that I don’t want, the Driver MFD does have a forward and back lever on the steering which makes page section easier.

Anyway, early days but I’m very happy with the car, I’ll post a link to the full review if your interested.

Probably not for everyone who’s owned a Yeti and that’s because it’s much longer, smallish boot space (although I can get more in as the aspect ratio suits us better), only petrol and only the Lineartronic CVT gearbox

As a foot note with apologies to people who are waiting for Karoq’s delivery of my car was a week earlier that forecast and the dealer was brilliant at keeping me up to date. I’ve always experienced long delays with my Yeti orders and generalhad to chance to get updates. Subaru’s UK market share is very small currently but bucked the trend in Q1 by increasing its UK sales by 5.5% against an average drop of 12.5%.  Not a lot more cars but significantly 50% were XV’s.  The new UK boss has reputation of turning country sales around and has recently held a new dealership fair to add to the network which is small to say the least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a treat to get a few people airing their thoughts about Yeti alternatives and not to have any detractors criticizing them for having the temerity to stray from the topic of the Yeti, the whole Yeti, and nothing but the Yeti. Amicable and informative - just it it should be.  Thanks.

Edit. I meant to ask .... what part of Derbyshire are we talking about, Ernie.  I'm guessing Peak District - but would love to know where  (PS I won' tell anyone else).

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

What a treat to get a few people airing their thoughts about Yeti alternatives and not to have any detractors criticizing them for having the temerity to stray from the topic of the Yeti, the whole Yeti, and nothing but the Yeti. Amicable and informative - just it it should be.  Thanks.

Edit. I meant to ask .... what part of Derbyshire are we talking about, Ernie.  I'm guessing Peak District - but would love to know where  (PS I won' tell anyone else).

Not far from Matlock, easy reach of a lot of nice places, walks and the like.  I’ve family near St Austell so get there from time to time.

• Like 1

I’ve family near St Austell so get there from time to time.

Now you've confused me.  Bedfordshire is, sort of,  in between the two .... Matlock is up and St Austell down   :wondering: .

I'm sure there's a simple answer.

Fond memories of The Peak District - probably for all the same reasons as yourself.  The nearest to Matlock I can say I'm vaguely familiar with is Middleton by Youlgreave -  a very pleasant walking holiday based in a dairy farm there.  Is your destination anywhere near, perchance?

Motoring connection :- there used to be a garden full of Trabants there ... looked like a Trabant scrapyard.    

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1474605/Collector-with-49-Trabants-told-to-sell-cars.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7330722.stm

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/943830

Edited by oldstan