Is Kia the new Skoda?

dunc69

On 29/05/2018 at 23:41, dunc69 said:

Who said they won’t depreciate quickly (and be the second hand bargain of the year)?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805236782384?atmobcid=soc3

That was probably me !

To be honest they look to be still extremely limited in numbers and you be very lucky to get one much south of 30k still, whilst used 280 superbs closer to the 20k mark.....so as a used bargain, I wouldn't imagine so ( unless you compare to their original price of 40k)

I'd be comparing with the 280 though offering greater value, or perhaps looking elsewhere for something more exotic if I had that kind of money burning through my jeans

You managed to get one I think how much for ?

On 22/07/2018 at 21:44, Scot5 said:

Depreciation not as you hoped just because it's a best buy? Skoda Octavia is also a best buy and as we all know, that depreciates like a brick. Vauxhall Zafira is also a category winner, and it's depreciation makes a brand new Octavia look like a sound investment :giggle:

So its a year on and Stinger 3.3s still selling super strong prices most on the plus side of 30K

I am just wondering who has to eat whose words now regarding depreciation ....

44 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

That was probably me !

To be honest they look to be still extremely limited in numbers and you be very lucky to get one much south of 30k still, whilst used 280 superbs closer to the 20k mark.....so as a used bargain, I wouldn't imagine so ( unless you compare to their original price of 40k)

I'd be comparing with the 280 though offering greater value, or perhaps looking elsewhere for something more exotic if I had that kind of money burning through my jeans

You managed to get one I think how much for ?

Yes, took the plunge.  Over £30k, but not by much.  

4 1/2 months’ old.  Under 2k miles.  Huge saving off list. 

6 1/2 years’ warranty left. 

Yes, of course I would have preferred to pay less, but I ended up very happy with the deal.  

To add, it’s a 2019 model (MY20 I guess) with several upgrades from the 2017 & 2018 cars.  

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

Sounds like its reassuringly rare, exciting and expensive enough to avoid "bargain levels of depreciation" in contrary to the expectations of Scot5.....

I do LOVE being right :D

Shame as if it was moreso I'd go for it myself, I won't but hope you enjoy your journey ! Enjoy your car mate.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Depreciation of Skoda Kodiaq vRS from Demonstrator to first sale seems about the same as with the Kia, 

and then what the future holds for prices is maybe much the same, but at least the Kia will maybe have a warranty by the time it has a 3rd keeper / owner.

Asking prices are higher than £30,000 on Demonstrators / Ex Demonstrators.

There are 2018 cars with Asking Prices under £30,000 from Dealers so unless they owned them from new they came in as trade ins or from auction at under £30,000 to the dealerships.

How much they are worth is what you can get someone to pay you for a used one of the first registered / so a used car, it is not what Dealers / Traders have as an 'asking Price'.

Those first registered and out on lease will be back into trade next year then we will see how scarce they are and what the demand is for used ones.

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 16.53.32.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Interesting stats. So only c.800 Stinger GTS registered 2017 & 2018.  

If 2019 cars are included, I imagine we’re sneaking towards 1100. 

Suits me.  The rarer the better now I have bought one! 

The amount of attention the car has had in my first 5 days is staggering.  More than my TVR Chimaera ever had. 

Interesting times! 

• Like 1

For the record its ONLY the top line (440) that is the 3.3.
Those wanting to sway discussion might be wanting to appear to include the others, but they are just the 2.2 petrol so not the same car as you anyway !!
You have a very limited motor there Sir so not surprised at anyone having to cough up for one.

Even the leased ones will be in that limited 440 run.
So where is this mysterious surge of cars going to cause their prices to come crashing down. lol

There isn't going to be a durge of cheap cars, there just isn't the quantity. I don't know why so many people are struggling with this concept of supply and demand and the impact of low supply on values, this is not your average Ford Fiestas we are talking about here.
I have a MGF VVC, reasonably rare by most standards - but still 2k about after them being about for 18 years ( when there were initially 12thousand).

Just puts it into perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

Pricing and value aside, the Stinger is a wonderful machine. I know it’s not the last word in saving the planet, but as a petrolhead, the V6 burble (2019 cars have a new exhaust), the interior quality, the pace and power, and the toys make this a very special thing to spend time in. 

To resurrect and possibly put this thread to bed, thank you for your comments all, and let me say that I really do think that some aspects of the current Kia brand do echo where Skoda were a few years ago. 

At my local Kia dealership this morning it reminded me of my times with Skoda Watford 10 years ago. A small family dealer slowly expanding into something more.  

Lots of models, genuinely excellent poster explanations as to the different models and engine options available (e.g. Kia Niro = petrol, mild hybrid, hybrid and full electric) and a genuine feeling of looking after the customer.  

To be honest, Skoda (locally to me at least) has lost that feel, almost as if they think they are VW or, God forbid, Audi now. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 21:34, shyVRS245 said:

Saw a white Stinger briefly tonight as it disappeared in the rear view mirror (must have been the diesel).:giggle:

@shyVRS245 now that I’ve got the hang of / am more comfortable with the Stinger, I don’t think I’d be disappearing behind you 😉

On a serious note, I am very, very impressed with the car.  The V6 sounds incredible under power, but is very smooth and quiet under light loads. 

So far, interior quality is impeccable.  Everything that you touch feels just right. I love the steering wheel. Feels similar to my vRS wheel and looks similar too, just slightly nicer leather. 

Harmon / Kardon is incredible now I have the settings all sorted. 

Infortainment is very good. Not hugely better than the Columbus, but very happy with it.  Apple Car Play (which I didn’t have before) is great.  The head up display is very cool and hugely helpful.  Speed limit and current speed is the default, Nav instructions appear when Nav is in use.  

The fuel economy is 5-7 mpg less that the vRS.  I’ll take that for the performance on offer. 

Hardly a day has passed without someone asking me about it.  An Audi A5 driver was pouring all over it today, asking me loads of questions (school car park).  He loved it. 

And the ultimate test, one of my boy’s 11 year old mates told his Dad this morning:

”I love Dunc’s car!  It looks so cool.  I will buy one of those when I grow up!”  

Really made me smile! 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@lol-lol

KIA could do with getting a small Electric city car into production & half the price of the e- Niro or e-Soul

& Dacia might well have people pottering villages, towns and cities  in not very expensive EV's while Skoda, VW, SEAT are still going on about what they will be building and selling sometime in the future but still just selling facelifted e-Up's with a bit more range & versions with Skoda & SEAT badges.