Is Kia the new Skoda?

dunc69

So, I have been a Skoda man for quite a while. Have had four cars from our favourite marque, and love the quality / vfm combination. 

Currently in a 2014 Petrol vRS Estate DSG with Columbus and Pano and love it. Also have a 2013 Citigo Elegance 75. Great cars both. 

Looking ahead, I was always planning a Superb 280 Estate or Hatch in about 2 years time. 2 - 2.5 years old. 

But.....  Skoda have almost lost their USP in that they are starting to become quite pricey. 

So, my head has been turned in looking for vfm. Just not interested in the ‘badge’. 

I had a look at this yesterday and was extremely impressed. Okay, so it’s the halo model and costs £40k new. But with the anticipated steep depreciation, a GT S (3.3L twin turbo, 365bhp, sub 5 secs to 62, RWD, ALL the toys, huge boot etc. etc.), or even the 2L Petrol version (sub 6 to 62), could be the bargain of our times before long. 

Are Kia about to become the new Skoda? Zero to hero in a few short years!

http://www.evo.co.uk/kia/stinger-gt

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.carmagazine.co.uk/amp/car-reviews/kia/kia-stinger-gt-2017-review/

FF068F93-7408-474D-B8C0-1EBB9F3A3E0A.jpeg

6B93B770-5384-4BAB-92CB-84A3A70E5B80.jpeg

• Like 3

If it's anything like the Hyundai i30N, it'll be a bit rough round the edges.

Problem with KIA's and Hyundai's is the car is the car. You can't choose any extras. It's a bit 'like it or lump it'. 

• Like 1

I'm rather taken by the Kia Optima. The twin clutch gearbox is every bit as smooth as a DSG (possibly smoother) the sports waggon (estate) in top of the line GT Line S trim can be had for about £27k brand new. It has absolutely everything you could ever want in terms of bells and whistles. Including 360 degree cameras, panoramic roof, Apple/Google car play head unit, radar cruise, keyless and self opening boot, self parking and air conditioned seats. And a 7 year/100k miles warranty. 

Asian cars typically have less or no options to add to a given model -in this case there's model 2, a model 3 and the GT Line S with each successive model getting more equipment. You just choose the colour. The 2 is manual only the 3 is manual or automatic, and the GT Line S is auto only. You just choose the model and colour and that's no bad thing in my book as it means better value passed on to the consumer. Rather than having each car made to order with a complicated and expensive list of options.

The Skoda Superb is an excellent car but it's not exactly cheap and there's very little price wise between between it and comparable VW Passat especially when considering discounts available. 

Skoda have changed from being a cheaper alternative to just an alternative within the VW group, they're still good cars, and have improved in all areas but are just not the bargain option that they once were. 

Edited by greenstripe
Typo
  • Like 1

The Optima Sportwagon looks interesting though, it's Audi A6 esque styling is easy on the eye and they look reasonable in terms of build, kit and value. However, the engine choice is a bit lacking in comparison to the Superb and all the reviews still put the Superb ahead overall.

Just checked Broadspeed for prices on the two. GT Line-S Optima 1.7 DCT diesel is £27k with discounts. A Laurin and Klement spec Superb Estate with DSG is £25k. Kia have got their work cut out there.

Skoda is still the new Skoda.

9 hours ago, tunedude said:

If it's anything like the Hyundai i30N, it'll be a bit rough round the edges.

Problem with KIA's and Hyundai's is the car is the car. You can't choose any extras. It's a bit 'like it or lump it'. 

With the Sportage, there are 4 trim levels, so that is how you choose your options. Granted, not as easy to personalise as a Skoda, but I imagine the build doesn’t take as long. 

With the top Stinger, another way of looking at it is that you just get all the toys thrown in for the price. Most people buying compatible cars (440i, S5) will option them up, often significantly and at great expense. 

I for one like the bargain / vfm to be had providing you aren’t worried about the badge. 

That's exactly what prompted me to switch from a 2005 Golf GTI DSG to a new vRS petrol DSG estate in 2010. Same drivetrain, more room for the family, comparable build quality (my Skoda was better screwed together than my Golf) and a lot of car for the money. 

This Kia has me thinking seriously about tracking them second hand alongside Superb 280s for a 18-24 month old purchase in two years time. 

With respect to the Optima, am I correct in saying you have one engine choice.  It’s the 1.7 CRDi or nothing?  Whilst the cars themselves are quite attractive, good kit levels etc, I find the engine choices woeful.  Would a greater choices of engines sway me to purchase..?  Probably not.  I think it would make their whole package more attractive though. 

3 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

With respect to the Optima, am I correct in saying you have one engine choice.  It’s the 1.7 CRDi or nothing?  Whilst the cars themselves are quite attractive, good kit levels etc, I find the engine choices woeful.  Would a greater choices of engines sway me to purchase..?  Probably not.  I think it would make their whole package more attractive though. 

There’s also a PHEV and a 2 litre petrol turbo with 241bhp. 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/kia/optima-sportswagon-2016/?section=data

Kia the new Skoda?  Hyundai could well be tho. Hyundai is a rebadged Kia (or is it vice versa?) but at more attractive price, just like Skoda / VW.

You say you're looking at a 2-2.5 year old car but Skoda are becoming quite pricey?  You'll need a crystal ball to tell you what a Stinger will cost in 2 years time but I can assure you the running costs will be more than Skoda. All I'll say is my Skoda with options listed at a tad over £27k. I purchased it five months old with 1000miles (ex-Skoda management) for £17750. Good luck finding a KIA with similar depreciation! I was also very tempted by a brand new VW Passatt estate which listed at just over £29,000 but was being sold via broker (drive the deal) for £20500.  Just had a look for a Stinger - it's not even listed. And there's your problem - if KIA don't produce them in numbers, i.e. limit supply (there's no market for such cars in this country), then your 'bargain' will never exist. Octavia / Superb on the otherhand is everywhere.

And then there are running costs. Looked for an SUV 18 months ago, shortlisted several cars which included a Sportage and Tucson. Both essentially the same car. Between the two Sportage won hands down IMO. Problem tho was cost. It was no bargain (over £1000 more than equivelant Hyundai), the servicing regime was more frequent and cost more - both EXACTLY the same engines tho. And to be honest, both engines were rather old school - not very economical. Sportage was defo the better 'finished' product inside tho. So again Hyundai -v- KIA was just like Skoda -v- VW.  (In the end I rejected both and bought a SEAT with a cracking ultra modern 1.4tsi).

Kia does come with a 7yr warranty but if you look at the big picture you find KIA's customers are paying handsomely for that warranty, they just don't realise it. Good marketing ploy tho.

Edited by Guest

Sure, I'd take that too.

But I think I'd easily get bored looking at it by then ( along the same way of the "new" mini....."new" scirocco........"new" bettle etc)

Cheapest one I can see right now - none used on ebay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-KIA-STINGER-GRAN-TURISMO-2-0-T-GDi-GT-Line-5dr-Auto/192521717104?hash=item2cd3304570:g:wyEAAOSwi19a6dsg

and its the 2.0 - rather have a vRS thanks and cheaper ! Or the superb awd 280.

Autotrader no better

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?advertising-location=at_cars&make=KIA&model=STINGER

only 138 registered on record here :D

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=kia+stinger+gt&commit=Search

I'd certainly be in same boat as you though if it truly was a depreciation bargain, but given the low sales numbers also is going to make bartering even more difficult.

Maybe circa 15-20K in 2.5 yrs ?

Petrol is going to be looking pretty unattractive soon ( as diesel most certainly is) they are both outgoing fuels I'm afraid, so enjoy while it lasts, but in the meanwhile time is ticking on the fuels, taxes will go up, etc etc ? Might as well just enjoy what you have NOW !

Sure if I could have a last blast on petrol with something more like that rather than my petrol vRS I would, if the money was right.

But I ain't paying Jag F or very cheap used Aston Martin kind of money for one though.
I don't think I'd want to be paying £20k but if it was closer to £15 then like you I might be tempted

Edited by vRSAnt

After a small search, you could have a current 4wd Superb TSI for £24k - nothing like that in that price range for a Stinger, they just aren't any for sale used even.  Not bad really considering its only a year old.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803285016489?radius=1500&model=SUPERB&minimum-badge-engine-size=2.0&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&fuel-type=Petrol&advertising-location=at_cars&make=SKODA&postcode=nn156ln&aggregatedTrim=SportLine&price-from=500&page=1

I'd wager Superb is the better bargain still long term ( but offering a lot less car granted) so as you are talking USED its probably Skodas heavier depreciation that wins.

I would imagine that Stinger 3.3 particularly becomes more sought after, keeping prices high - particularly if they continue to make the cars as people will be after clean examples saving a ton against the high new prices.

3 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Just had a look for a Stinger - it's not even listed. And there's your problem - if KIA don't produce them in numbers, i.e. limit supply (there's no market for such cars in this country), then your 'bargain' will never exist.

Try CarWOW, two petrol versions and a 2.2 diesel available on there.

Honestly answe to your Q is  just no.

While stinger is more quality made than rest of Kia models. They aren't close to Škoda. They feal cheaper. And for Stinger price tag you get real premium brands like Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

But I must say I was impresed with Stinger. Haven't tested one yet, but planing to. Petrol is better than Diesel I hear when it comes to power in real life.

Edited by Croat

A mate has just got a new Sportage and the build quality is much better than my Skoda. She had the original Sportage before, which whilst reliable and well built had some horrendous finishes such as sharp edges on plastics etc. This new one is a large leap forward for the brand. The dealerships have always been great with her too, again something that Skoda needs to get grip off, as they’ve been the worse I’ve come across and a common complaint on here. 

Kia are going in the right direction like Skoda had to begun with but seemed to have strayed from with cost cutting and poor service. Hopefully they can get back on track before the Koreans leave them in their wake. 

• Like 1

The best car manufacturer in the Czech Republic is probably Hyundai.

& Kia in Slovakia. 

http://hyundai-motor.cz/english.php 

Skoda deliver about 1 million vehicles globally each year, they have a long way to go until they build and deliver as many vehicles as Hyundai / Kia.

Maybe Skoda could do a 5 year or even a 7 year warranty if they or VW have any faith in the Build Quality and parts they source.

Cheap Stinger Demonstrators and 'Ex-management cars'  will be available sometime soon.

'Asking Prices; are not what you need to pay prices, just like Audi, VW and others they want Asking Prices high so that they do not look like Depreciation Disasters as Skoda / SEAT are if trading in at some other franchise.

Like with a Toyota GT86 / Subaru BRZ, greatest thing since sliced bread only people do not buy or lease enough of them so really cheap as chips.  The Stinger will be the same,  like the Octavia Mk3 vRS 230 /245, waiting lists, orders closed, not as scarce as hens teeth if you want a cheap one they are around, you are only buying one after all.  Leased cars will be back at dealers soon enough, and then those management cars registered to keep sales looking good.

DSCN3573.JPG.ffbd2cbb16aacd8fd1094f3bafd200cd.JPG

DSCN3566.JPG.c8371442704b17663e55ce615453fc84.JPG

DSCN3572.JPG.5fc0ef0f84cd713fe151e7f6e2d00509.JPG

DSCN3570.JPG.2b46efc959e52da60a8f91696846b784.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

I've been in a 17 Sportage & wasn't impressed compared to my 17 plate 245, it all feels somewhat basic & functional but, not nice at all.

Although, that doesn't necessarily mean that I won't look around prior to my car purchase/rent

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I've been in a 17 Sportage & wasn't impressed compared to my 17 plate 245, it all feels somewhat basic & functional but, not nice at all.

Although, that doesn't necessarily mean that I won't look around prior to my car purchase/rent

A big difference on price too

Cash Money will get you a new 18 plate KIA Sportage from £17,000 to £30,000 so really anyone saying they were in one might need to say at what price point.

There are Mk3 Octavia vRS 245's with £34,000 asking prices. They come cheaper than that obviously.  Just dont order from the factory, the books are closed.

TBH with so many PCP's & PCH's list price isn't a tangible measurement now days.

Guys on here are leasing 245 for £220 a month incl. of deposit & fees hence, the cars are comparable, I've gotta ask, WhoTF is dumb enough to pay list price ?

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Guys and Girls rent lots of kinds of cars, manufacturers punt them out cheap often enough.

Nothing to do with the RRP really.

Anyone that buys a Skoda or SEAT, even a VW or Audi and then tries to sell back to a VW Group Dealership or a non Franchised one soon finds the real depreciation.

On 5/19/2018 at 17:12, themanwithnoaim said:

TBH with so many PCP's & PCH's list price isn't a tangible measurement now days.

Guys on here are leasing 245 for £220 a month incl. of deposit & fees hence, the cars are comparable, I've gotta ask, WhoTF is dumb enough to pay list price ?

I agree on buying new list in full ( but lets face it , some just have a lot of money to burn) but with used its more marginal comparison

I also have to say, my father is certainly in that camp, he bought an L+K outright, but he isn't poor.

He certainly isn't dumb either, hes probably more intelligent than a lot of people. Life isn't all about money, but if you do have it, you tend to dwell on losing it less.

I got my o3 used, now if you do a min 2 yr lease you looking at 5k+. My car used wasnt a whole lot more than just over 2 times that. So four years leasing, your car goes back.

Ok my car may not be worth really that much after 4 years but its still something I'm sure, plus I hopefully still love it. So you could equally say, whose dumb enough to "rent" a car for 2+ years then have nothing to show for it ?

• Like 4

I've had a Kia Sportage and I had a Optima for a day whilst the other was serviced, they were abysmal.

The Sportage was a guzzler and I mean guzzler, a £150-160 pcm diesel habit, the seats kept ripping, the wheels delaminated, the sat nav got confused and took me on a circuitous route and a day trip of Bridgwater something that I could of easily avoided, the radio was awful, the self parking never worked properly, parts were expensive and it handled like a barge, the bluetooth system wouldn't connect to my phone without my phone having extra software to connect to it.

Which was odd because the one I test drove handled really well, the Optima had all the go of a wet fart, very austere and dark, it handled reasonably well, but the electronics and stuff just did have the finish and sharpness that VWG cars have, the displays lacked that something and again it was a diesel and the gearbox was the slush type and it really wasn't my "cup of tea" at all.

I got rid of the Sportage within 12 months, after a series of rows with Kia CS about the fuel economy, the wheels & seats failing, the sat nav being abysmal (you had to pay for the map & software updates!), the retrofit DAB system screwing the cars infotainment system up and the list went on. I will never have another Kia again and I'd rather have a older Brainless Moronic W**ker car or Merc than a Kia.

Edited by TheWanderer

8 hours ago, vRSAnt said:

I agree on buying new list in full ( but lets face it , some just have a lot of money to burn) but with used its more marginal comparison

I also have to say, my father is certainly in that camp, he bought an L+K outright, but he isn't poor.

He certainly isn't dumb either, hes probably more intelligent than a lot of people. Life isn't all about money, but if you do have it, you tend to dwell on losing it less.

I got my o3 used, now if you do a min 2 yr lease you looking at 5k+. My car used wasnt a whole lot more than just over 2 times that. So four years leasing, your car goes back.

Ok my car may not be worth really that much after 4 years but its still something I'm sure, plus I hopefully still love it. So you could equally say, whose dumb enough to "rent" a car for 2+ years then have nothing to show for it ?

Me! 

With a young family, I'd rather have the money available in the bank - this is the time we need it to make the most of the kids growing up. I could have 'bought' a used 220/230 but that still would have been a lot of cash spent for an older used car. 

8 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

I've had a Kia Sportage and I had a Optima for a day whilst the other was serviced, they were abysmal.

The Sportage was a guzzler and I mean guzzler, a £150-160 pcm diesel habit, the seats kept ripping, the wheels delaminated, the sat nav got confused and took me on a circuitous route and a day trip of Bridgwater something that I could of easily avoided, the radio was awful, the self parking never worked properly, parts were expensive and it handled like a barge, the bluetooth system wouldn't connect to my phone without my phone having extra software to connect to it.

Which was odd because the one I test drove handled really well, the Optima had all the go of a wet fart, very austere and dark, it handled reasonably well, but the electronics and stuff just did have the finish and sharpness that VWG cars have, the displays lacked that something and again it was a diesel and the gearbox was the slush type and it really wasn't my "cup of tea" at all.

I got rid of the Sportage within 12 months, after a series of rows with Kia CS about the fuel economy, the wheels & seats failing, the sat nav being abysmal (you had to pay for the map & software updates!), the retrofit DAB system screwing the cars infotainment system up and the list went on. I will never have another Kia again and I'd rather have a older Brainless Moronic W**ker car or Merc than a Kia.

Was this recently?

Also, the Optima has a better engine range now.