Fed up with 18's - should I go 17?

4 minutes ago, Kt1966 said:
1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Those wheels look good, what are they called? 

Thanks 

They are the Triffid.

Standard on mid-spec MkII Superb's from launch.

I have a spare set!

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

They are the Triffid.

Standard on mid-spec MkII Superb's from launch.

I have a spare set!

You have no need of a spare set, they are just taking up space in your garage. I'll pop over and take them out of your way!

Seriously though, they are a nice wheel and IMHO suit the Superb well, I keep my eye out for them.

19 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Aye, we're a bit pushed with paying for infrastructure in other European countries at the moment.

Mate.. I am from Germany. Are you seriously going to bitch to me what you are paying to the EU? Seriously?

• Like 2

Scotland has some really great driving roads funded from EU money to get HGV's carry Seafood and lumber to the not so well kept roads,

pity they are not around the North East of Scotland where there are also carriers of fish and whisky.

These are obviously not not that common South of Perth where you have to be to get Motorways, but around the Borders there are some crackers,

and then some real horror shows of roads like the A77 with just a few miles of EU funded dual carriageway that then goes to the single carriageway again.

You do not need to see the EU Funded signs & the roadside to know, the expensive walls are clue enough.

Lendalfoot%2c Balantrae%2cTurnberry%2c Maidens 031.JPG

Lendalfoot%2c Balantrae%2cTurnberry%2c Maidens 037.JPG

Lendalfoot%2c Balantrae%2cTurnberry%2c Maidens 038.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 3

My car came with these second hand. It was a long story but they were swapped on by the dealer without me properly paying attention. I didn’t realise they were 17s at the time and I’ve always felt like I was had ever after. I do mainly motorway miles and thought some 18s would be better for the A roads but now after reading all this I’m not too sure. I was just going to get some thermistos at some point, but am I starting to understand that 17s are actually better than 18s?

9F0B76C9-745E-42B0-AD7E-5B2AB379DA27.jpeg

DBF85C85-34BD-4795-B6E8-66395FC47ABB.jpeg

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:06, pablomax said:

Seriously, I just finished a road trip from Germany to the top of Scotland, going through the entire island along the way. The road quality was absolutely shocking. I have been in just over 50 countries by now and I can say that the A roads in the UK are among the worst I have ever driven. Pot holes so massive that you either drive into head on traffic or fall into the center of the earth.

The motorways were fine of course. I only speak of the A roads.

Its no surprise to hear this, I am in SW Scotland and regularly travel the A77/M77, I am surprised no one was killed over the winter this year due to an accident caused by the state of the M77.  My wife's car had all four springs broken this winter and she only toddles around the local area.  Your thoughts sum up the UK as a whole, crumbling infrastructure throughout all public services....

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:47, Offski said:

Scotland has some really great driving roads funded from EU money to get HGV's carry Seafood and lumber to the not so well kept roads,

pity they are not around the North East of Scotland where there are also carriers of fish and whisky.

These are obviously not not that common South of Perth where you have to be to get Motorways, but around the Borders there are some crackers,

and then some real horror shows of roads like the A77 with just a few miles of EU funded dual carriageway that then goes to the single carriageway again.

Great photos there, I know the stretch well, south of Girvan.  Horror show on the A77 is a compliment, it has got a little better in the last couple of months but next winters freezing will pop out all the repairs and create more craters.  The road from Inverness to Lochinver (where a lot of the seafood is landed) I have always found a great driver's road, some cracking scenery and great sweeping bends and straights to make progress on, as you say the EU will be helping the planned maintenance of the roads around there, rather than the abysmal reactive maintenance of the A77/M77 stretches.

• Like 1

On 22/5/2018 at 15:29, Shaunieboy said:

Reinforced sidewall tyres (marked XL) are something to consider too if you're having problems with potholes on 18's. They have thicker sidewalls and can take some extra PSI.

XL is the required fitment for 18" tyres on the Superb anyway.

(Someone posted part of this earlier in the thread) I've written a bit about wheel/tyre stuff here:

• Like 3

On 29/05/2018 at 19:15, phil123420 said:

9F0B76C9-745E-42B0-AD7E-5B2AB379DA27.jpeg

Your inner wheel arch liner looks to be loose and hanging low?

You also need some of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162945168474?chn=ps&adgroupid=51456964475&rlsatarget=pla-429319278364&abcId=1130086&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=9046791&device=c&campaignid=1029031424&crdt=0

s-l640.jpg.d6ebcb2d0242be3d75611c87ab9a9f9a.jpg

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Amazing - Skoda missed that when it was in with them...

i missed it and I was looking at it taking a photo of it.

and you see it from a photo. 

It seems to be missing the top bolt! I’ll get that sorted

and thanks for the eBay link - ordered

• Like 1