Haldex Oil Change

Does anyone have the correct VAG code for Haldex oil for a generation 5? Am hoping to do the change myself, but finding it very difficult to locate the correct type/grade. Most products seem to be for the slightly older gen 4. I am aware that the current one has no filter to replace, and the easiest way to do it is to drop out the pump and clean the built in filter, but for the life of me I can’t seem to source the correct fluid. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Gromle said:

I can check my receit (spelling?) to see if its listed. 

I just had it done on mine.

That would be very helpful. I assume your car has the newer generation 5 haldex.

nick

That is the picture and the real thing of a 4. generation Haldex clutch which is used on the Superb II. Octavias, Fabias...

The difference between G 055 175 A2 and G 060 175 A2 is the size of the container, the first is 1l, the second is 850ml.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Some confusion then. I thought that the Scout had the generation 5 Haldex, which did not have the filter to change as part of the service. If that pic is the gen 4, then I assume mine will be different.

All the advertising I have read suggests that the 2015 Scout has the generation 5 Haldex. I’m sure someone on here who knows better than me can offer advice. This is the main reason for the thread, as there is lots of info on the gen 4 and lower, but hardly any for the gen 5.

AFAIK all Octavia MK3 4x4 have the 5th Gen Haldex. Mine certainly has. 

I think you will find the oil listed is the same for both (G060175A2)

Any doubts I would take it to a dealer

Edited by flybynite

Ok, so today I have been able to change the Haldex fluid. Having taken the pump out I can confirm that it is the gen 5 version with the gauze filter on the pump itself rather than separate.

have to say I’m glad I did remove the pump as well as drain from the sump, there was a lot of ‘gunk’ sitting in the bottle I used, as well as stuck onto the gauze, so obvious that it was well due for a change. Unfortunately I couldn’t remove the gauze filter, as the 2 torx screws were tight, and with slippery hands it was difficult to get a grip. Have managed to give it a fairly good clean before re fitting.

i used a syringe with a pipe to re fill, difficult but not too bad.

the worst thing was the access, I think next time i will try and find a full lift I can used to get under properly, was shuffling and squeezing to get under, I used ramps, but not really good enough so was a little messy. I remembered to go for a drive to get the content to settle before topping up, so hopefully this will do for another 30k miles or so.

I have to look the VAG number on the rear diff next time my car is up but I am convinced I have a gen 5 on mine.

This is a picture of a gen 5 Haldex opened:

skoda-octavia-rs-combi-4x4-08.jpg

One of the differences I noticed was that the drain hole seemed to be on the same side as the pump, unlike the gen 4 which pictured the drain on the same side as the refill point. There was certainly no sign of separate filter, so definitely gen 5. Have done several hundred miles since change. Have I noticed anything? Not really, but at least I know it has fresh fluid.

Hi, no, I’m sorry, with all the shuffling and squeezing to get under the last thing I though of was to take a photo! I must remember to do that next time I do any work underneath, if only for my own records.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the service interval for Haldex?

I've just booked my 4x4 vRS in for its second service at 36k miles and requested they do the DSG oil change at the same time, rather than go back in a few weeks at 40k miles.

Should I be asking them to do the Haldex oil change too?

NO - take to an independent for the Haldex as VAG dealers will only change the oil and not take out the pump to clean it and the filter, arround £110ish at an indy to clean the pump and oil change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, octavia5 said:

NO - take to an independent for the Haldex as VAG dealers will only change the oil and not take out the pump to clean it and the filter, arround £110ish at an indy to clean the pump and oil change.

Likely to change the car next year at around 45k miles anyway, so not thinking of doing it unless it needs it - is it/will it be actually due?

• 1 year later...