DSG gearbox - what to expect?

JanJan

Trying a DSG tomorrow.

More likely to buy a manual but it's proving difficult to find a 1.5L available to test drive that isn't miles away so thought this would at least give me an idea of the engine. 

2 hours ago, Tom34 said:

Trying a DSG tomorrow.

More likely to buy a manual but it's proving difficult to find a 1.5L available to test drive that isn't miles away so thought this would at least give me an idea of the engine. 

Do try the DSG in manual mode, you might be surprised.

DSG looks to be the way cars are going. I had a Superb with a DSG and it was fine as long as it was cool but when it warmed up like in stop start traffic it would judder. Dealer said it might me the mecatronics unit which was £££ so I just left it. Ran it anouther 3 years and nothing broke. It was me of the reasons I chopped it in for the Karoq. That said I got a DSG in it so it didn't put me off. Technology has moved on since I brought the Superb so I expect no problems. 

It's the first automatic I've owned in over 20 years motoring (though have hired many autos when abroad). The Karoqs DSG is fantastic and enables the cruise control, speed limits etc. I would not go back to a manual now.

It is a really good autobox. It can be a bit abrupt with the stop start system. If you plant your right foot after the engine has stopped it can lead to a slightly jerky take off as the system restarts the engine, clears the autohold, selects the gear and gets going all at once.

The best tip was off here somewhere (sorry I can't remember where - I can't credit the OP). Just tweak the steering wheel to restart the engine a fraction of a second before you want to go and it is back to super smooth starts.

Edited by Cd1yat

50 minutes ago, Cd1yat said:

It is a really good autobox. It can be a bit abrupt with the stop start system. If you plant your right foot after the engine has stopped it can lead to a slightly jerky take off as the system restarts the engine, clears the autohold, selects the gear and gets going all at once.

The best tip was off here somewhere (sorry I can't remember where - I can't credit the OP). Just tweak the steering wheel to restart the engine a fraction of a second before you want to go and it is back to super smooth starts.

I’ll take the credit:thumbup:

I have no doubt that using the DSG is very nice indeed, was just curious about the longer term. All fun and games until you need to do a major repair job. Come to think of it, can't say I'm actually the best driver in regards to clutch and manual shifting. We did some repairs on our manual golf's transmission a year ago due to extra wear and tear from driving at too low revs, not maching revs good enough when changing gears etc. Would it actually be better for such a driver to switch to a DSG and let the computer shift that manual for you for less wear and tear?

Thanks for all the replies!

6 hours ago, JanJan said:

Would it actually be better for such a driver to switch to a DSG and let the computer shift that manual for you for less wear and tear?

Yes.

• Like 3

Yes to the above,

unless after a reasonably extended period of "tootling" and one decides to "hoof it" onto a roundabout, or away from a junction, in heavy traffic, then the box can be momentarily and understandably  perplexed.

btw

Having towed, and bytimes somewhat* in excess of the stated weight limit, the DSG is impeccably behaved, changing gears and holding gears exactly like I do, with 40 years (800,000-1,000,000 miles) experience.

Like towing about 2.25 tonne at 1500rpm at about 40/45mph.

but reversing a trailer, especially uphill, a total testicles of a transmission, i.e.  ZERO inching control.

regards

marcus

*personal best was 3.2 tonne (on a private laneway)  and significently uphill, incl slowing for speedbumps on the steepest part of the hill, all absolutly faultless.

Edited by marcusthehat

I had the 7 speed DSG on a 2008 Golf, one of the early ones produced I suspect. I had a lot of problems and eventually the whole box was replaced 4 years in. Thankfully I had taken out an extended warranty. The new box was fine and continues to run well with the present owner. I have had the Karoq DSG for a couple of weeks and so far I am very impressed. Mind you I did extend the warranty!

• 2 years later...

@XiLander

I would happily have / buy a 1.0TSI with a DQ200 DSG, used or new.

A 1.6TDI with a DQ200 is a bit of a gamble if you want a car to keep a while.

I would not have a 1.5TSI with a DQ200 dsg, but then i would not have a 1.5TSI EVO no matter who says that VW have them all sorted.

That is a double gamble if you are spending your hard earned money.

Edited by e-Roottoot

I ran a Golf Plus 1.6TDI with the DSG gearbox very happily from December 2011 to February 2015 (30,000 miles) with no problems, and then changed to my present Golf SV 1.4TSI with the DSG gearbox (getting on for 50,000 miles now) again with no problems.

I'm totally converted to DSGs now and will be having one on my new Karoq (albeit a different version). 

They can be very expensive to repair if they do go wrong, so I went for a 5 year factory warranty on the Golf SV, and will do again on my Karoq. 

Chris

16 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@CJJE

Did your DSG get the service campaign '34F7' after it was started early 2014 and have the Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral and the software update?

Sorry, I can't remember now, and I've not got the service records for the Golf Plus anymore. 

CJJE, I'll be interested to see how you find the Karoq after the Golf SV - apologies for going off topic.

When looking to replace my old failing Saab 9-5 auto, 5+ years ago, the SV was my favourite out of the 5 cars I test drove.  However I'd left things too late and needed a new car immediately and couldn't wait for the SV delivery, so bought my 2nd choice - an ex demonstrator Yeti 1.2 DSG sitting in the Skoda Dealers.  The SV definitely had a better ride (particularly on broken road surfaces) with less road noise, both important to me.  On the other hand the Yeti seemed rather better than the Ford CMax mk2 and the BMW 200 Active tourer (latter sports version with low profile tyres though).  The Citroen C4 Picasso had a softer ride, but still was jittery over broken road surfaces - didn't like the strange semi-autobox or chinzy interior nor soggy seats.  The Yeti had the highest seat position which suited me - the others were all MPVs after all.

I wanted to test the SV against the Karoq when I went for my Karoq 1.0 DSG SE technology a year ago, but didn't get round to it.  For me, the Karoq ride/road noise, if not perfect, is a substantial improvement over the Yeti, but do wonder if the SV might still be even better in this regard.  Interestingly, the SV still comes out top MPV dog in many reviews after 5 years, even though you don't see many on the roads.

Not had any trouble with the DSG in either of my Skodas, though both smallest engines/lowest power versions.  Until I tried the DSG I'd stayed clear of small car autos - all the ones I drove years ago were noisy and sluggish, so kept to second hand big car autos in those days.  I prefer the handyness of smaller cars, both the Yeti & Karoq fit that bill for me and the DSG seemed a revelation when I tried the SV & Yeti in my previous buying round.  However, I gather from other threads here that conventional autos in small cars may have caught up - some people seem to even prefer the best ones.

Automatics in small cars can be a bit of a gamble certainly.

They're usually either automated single clutch or some ancient 4 speed auto.

Suzuki still use a 4 speed auto to this day.

I recently had the (dis)pleasure of driving a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 automatic that we borrowed for a few weeks. God it was awful. 4 speed auto that didn't lock up till nearly 90kmh!

The DSG is a great gearbox. It can be jerky from a standstill as mentioned above... but once you're used to how it drives this can be avoided and it super smooth and the gear changes can't be felt when pootling along.

I recently measured the clutch thicknesses using VCDS and my 1.4 TSI with 112,000km has used less than 2mm on clutch one (up to 7mm is within spec) and clutch 2 has used zero! So plenty of life left in it yet.

3 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

CJJE, I'll be interested to see how you find the Karoq after the Golf SV - apologies for going off topic.

When looking to replace my old failing Saab 9-5 auto, 5+ years ago, the SV was my favourite out of the 5 cars I test drove.  However I'd left things too late and needed a new car immediately and couldn't wait for the SV delivery, so bought my 2nd choice - an ex demonstrator Yeti 1.2 DSG sitting in the Skoda Dealers.  The SV definitely had a better ride (particularly on broken road surfaces) with less road noise, both important to me.  On the other hand the Yeti seemed rather better than the Ford CMax mk2 and the BMW 200 Active tourer (latter sports version with low profile tyres though).  The Citroen C4 Picasso had a softer ride, but still was jittery over broken road surfaces - didn't like the strange semi-autobox or chinzy interior nor soggy seats.  The Yeti had the highest seat position which suited me - the others were all MPVs after all.

I wanted to test the SV against the Karoq when I went for my Karoq 1.0 DSG SE technology a year ago, but didn't get round to it.  For me, the Karoq ride/road noise, if not perfect, is a substantial improvement over the Yeti, but do wonder if the SV might still be even better in this regard.  Interestingly, the SV still comes out top MPV dog in many reviews after 5 years, even though you don't see many on the roads.

Not had any trouble with the DSG in either of my Skodas, though both smallest engines/lowest power versions.  Until I tried the DSG I'd stayed clear of small car autos - all the ones I drove years ago were noisy and sluggish, so kept to second hand big car autos in those days.  I prefer the handyness of smaller cars, both the Yeti & Karoq fit that bill for me and the DSG seemed a revelation when I tried the SV & Yeti in my previous buying round.  However, I gather from other threads here that conventional autos in small cars may have caught up - some people seem to even prefer the best ones.

Yes the Golf SV has been very comfortable, and despite my doubts over moving from a 1.6TDI DSG Golf Plus to a 1.4TSI DSG SV the performance has been more than adequate and economy better than I'd feared. (I've averaged 42mpg over my 5+years with it as opposed to the 50-odd I got with the Plus.

Although they never sold that well in the UK, dealers often said that as soon as they put one in the showroom it sold almost immediately! 

However they were very popular in Germany and I've seen far more on roads abroad than I have in the UK. 

It's a pity VW never updated its technology, and abandoned the intended replacement for the SV and Touran, but I'm eager now to get my Karoq in the drive :)

There is no doubt that DQ200 DSG are fan dabby dozzy and marvalous.

No doubt that Skoda have built millions of them for 48 applications in different VW Group models nd since production was ramped up in 2015 by Skoda and again in 2017 many more millions have been produced.

So WTF do Skoda / VW keep co-cking up some?

They had to get the 1.5TSI's ready for the WLTP which caused the issue with manuals and DSG's.  The DSG software was messed up in some as well while trying to cover up the engines issues.

If Skoda / VW just admitted to the odd failure and stop making out it is Driver Error that would be Simply Clever.

The is a reason that in some world regions that VW are building and selling 1.4 TSI's without ACT / COD and with 8 speed TQ engines.

That includes parts of North America, Canada & Australia.

The DQ200's life is nearing it's end as they will be e-DQ200's and fitted to 1.0TSI's and 1.5TSI's with Mild Hybrid.

eg

Recent and the latest Skoda model.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/484873-dsg-noise

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/483020-kamiq-automatic-gearbox-problems-at-hendy-skoda-bournemouth

Edited by e-Roottoot

Yeah I think as good as the DSG is, conventional automatics have pretty much caught up now in terms of fuel economy and shifting speed.

Think we will be seeing more and more use of 8+ speed automatics.