1.8 tsi oil issues

This will be the only smart thing you can do, I guess it would stop somewhere soon with burned intake valve ...

DSCF2164.JPG

Just to compare on rough data

VAG bench mark is up to 0,5 litre on 621miles, no more for this engine.

Before that unknown "fix" you have done 0,5 litre on just 87,5 miles ... (3,59 litre on 621miles if you like this way)

After that unknown "fix" you have done 0,5 litre on just only 32,3 miles, what a progress after "fix" ... (9,61 litre on 621miles if you like this way)

Edited by rayx

The car is going back on Tuesday for more inspections but I was told by a friend (who is a mechanic his attitude is take it back and get my money back I think he’s right)who followed me yesterday that there smoke and muck coming out of the exhaust, when I pulled over there is a thick coating of oily black soot inside and outside of the exhaust 

On 31/07/2018 at 09:38, ScoutCJB said:

No reason at all mate :)

I had a site notification of a direct PM from JJBS3 when I opened the forum site and responded to it in depth with what happened to me.  However it the notifications didn't and still dont show of his response to this actual thread.

My old car was AJ10 PBF, white Skoda Scout 1.8 tsi, Black Front Grill, facelift front and rear badges owned for approx 6-7 weeks around Sept 2016.

Last I saw it was up for sale on a Worcester garage forecourt approx October 2016 and currently a certain on line insurance check facility shows it as being insured.

SOrry for not replying publicly, have been away for a few weeks. So it’s not the car that you had, and I’ve just done about 600 miles in the car on motorway. So far I see no appreciable oil loss, so it would appear for now that mine isn’t drinking it. 

Interestingly (well maybe) I was rummaging around under the bonnet the other day, and found one of the covers (left hand side of the engine) has a vag sticker (like a factory one) dated 2012, which is 3 years later than the car was built. Not sure if that means anything at all, looking into it. 

On 11/08/2018 at 23:15, JJBS3 said:

one of the covers (left hand side of the engine) has a vag sticker (like a factory one) dated 2012, which is 3 years later than the car was built. Not sure if that means anything at all, looking into it. 

Do you see on this sticker something like this *CDA 123456* or *RR4 123456*? This cover needs no replacement when changing the chain or tensioner, so there is surely new, factory remanufactured or used engine inside your car :cool:

2 hours ago, rayx said:

Do you see on this sticker something like this *CDA 123456* or *RR4 123456*? This cover needs no replacement when changing the chain or tensioner, so there is surely new, factory remanufactured or used engine inside your car :cool:

Yeah, the sticker has a CDA number, which may mean that indeed, hopefully a new one was fitted about 2013! 

Excessive Oil use has not been a problem that Euro 5 or Euro 6 1.2 TSI's have suffered.

They are a different story from the 1.4 Twinchargers and 1.8 / 2.0 TSI's with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Component choice / material or workmanship issues.

Parts / materials & design being the issue, and VW Group being deaf, dumb and blind to the lemons they build until forced to recognise that they did build them, and then they still 

just could not care less.

On 13/08/2018 at 11:18, ScoutCJB said:

Is there anything in the history about a chain replacement?  Also I see your In Macc, I lived in Wilmslow until I was 24 ish :)

There’s lots of stamps in the history, but unfortunately nothing mentioned about a chain /tensioner/engine replacement, but up to about 80k miles it’s  stamped by police workshop, but with little info of what’s actually been done.

yeah I’m in Macc mate . 

I had a high oil consumption problem on my 1.8TSi Elegance.  Bought the car in March, 2014, by October 2015, it had already been in to Skoda 3 times with misfiring issues, and oil consumption.

The final straw with mine, was a 500 mile round trip using 4 litres of oil.

Got the engine swapped out after they took the head off, and found "the piston rings have failed, which has caused the oil to pass into the cylinder, which has damaged the cylinder head, and crown of the piston"

They gave me the option of repairing the existing engine or a replacement engine, for only a few hundred more than the repair.  Took the new engine, as I got a hefty donation from Skoda, and a two year warranty on the whole engine, rather than the 12 months warranty I would have got on just the parts they replaced.  Still cost over £3k to get it done, but not had any issues since.

I only collected my 2011 1.8tsi elegance last Wednesday, I really love the car drives superbly. I've only driven it 374 miles on holiday but thought I should check the oil.

No warning light but only a tiny blob right at the end of the dip stick!

If they checked the level at the PDI I'm guessing it's gone though 1l in that small distance, Ive put a litre in to bring it back up to a decent level and will check it after our return journey. If that disappears I'm looking at returning the car as I will still be within the 30 days, it came from a skoda dealer as an approved car with full skoda service history.

if so what's the best Octavia estate to look for instead?

Edited by Nuclear_Jules
Stupid auto correct puts soda not skoda

Very likely another poor CDAA :sadsmile: If the MFA / MFI / Board computer is set up wrongly, the combined sensor (for height and temperature of oil, on the bottom of sump) is deactivated and you get no warning when oil level is too low. But even when it is active, it warns you late, when the oil level is far below the minimum mark on the dip stick ...

Keep on the mind the allowed maximum consumption is only up to 0,5 litre on 621 miles, no more. Between Max. and Min. markings on the dipstick (bended elbows) is about 1 litre.

2 hours ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

I only collected my 2011 1.8tsi elegance last Wednesday, I really love the car drives superbly. I've only driven it 374 miles on holiday but thought I should check the oil.

No warning light but only a tiny blob right at the end of the dip stick!

If they checked the level at the PDI I'm guessing it's gone though 1l in that small distance, Ive put a litre in to bring it back up to a decent level and will check it after our return journey. If that disappears I'm looking at returning the car as I will still be within the 30 days, it came from a skoda dealer as an approved car with full skoda service history.

if so what's the best Octavia estate to look for instead?

As i suggested in my previous posts to the others, you need to start making a diary:

Measure oil in the same place on your driveway / road ever day (or every few days if you do small mileage), making a note of the exact mileage readings compared to oil readings.

Did car have a service prior to purchase or is it due a service.  Either way giving benefit of the doubt, know you know the level is correct monitor carefully and be armed with your findings if it drops and you start the return procedure (especially the bit about the VAG group tolerances on consumption (assuming yours falls way below this).

Then,as i did, start looking for a diesel :D

Edited by ScoutCJB

1 hour ago, rayx said:

Very likely another poor CDAA :sadsmile: If the MFA / MFI / Board computer is set up wrongly, the combined sensor (for height and temperature of oil, on the bottom of sump) is deactivated and you get no warning when oil level is too low. But even when it is active, it warns you late, when the oil level is far below the minimum mark on the dip stick ...

Keep on the mind the allowed maximum consumption is only up to 0,5 litre on 621 miles, no more. Between Max. and Min. markings on the dipstick (bended elbows) is about 1 litre.

I get oil temp on my display