Engine Choice

Lou91

Today I test drove a 2.0tdi Edition Karoq and was very impressed, we are now looking at potentially buying one but I'm really unsure on which engine to choose. 

We do an average of 7000 - 8000 miles per year, mostly short journeys but also do a couple motorway trips a month along with an annual drive down to Cornwall (Around 400 miles down)..

I imagine the 1.0 petrol is probably not best suited for this? So I was perhaps thinking about the 1.6 diesel with a DSG transmission (The 1.5 petrol and 2.0 diesel are quite expensive compared to the 1.0 and 1.6 on a 36 month lease).

Does anybody have either of these and can shine some light on how it handles long trips or being loaded up? Currently drive a BMW 520d which has a fairly nice amount of pull even at 70mph.

Thanks!

The 1 litre is surprisingly good, will be fine unless you are carrying heavy stuff or towing. Light bulky items are irrelevant.   Best with DSG as it needs to be kept in ideal rev range so manual might be hard work for town journeys.

The 1.5 tsi is better, but is extra money.  It does have 2 cylinder mode so will cruise very economically

For under 8000 miles per year, and mainly short journeys do NOT consider the diesel, you will end up with DPF problems.  Won’t save very much on fuel anyway.

Worth paying bit extra for DSG box, suits the modern engines with their low emissions mapping.

Seriously try a 1 litre DSG (even if in something else like Octavia), you will be surprised.  Has more power than many 2 -3 litre cars of 1970s.  

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

My worry is how noisy it would be at 70mph/how economical it is as 70mph (I'd imagine it's gonna be revving pretty hard to move a suv at 70).

Is it the same 1.0 engine that is in the Seat Ateca?

7 hours ago, Lou91 said:

My worry is how noisy it would be at 70mph/how economical it is as 70mph (I'd imagine it's gonna be revving pretty hard to move a suv at 70).

Is it the same 1.0 engine that is in the Seat Ateca?

It won’t need thrashing to maintain 70mph, has a top speed of 116mph (same as 1.6 diesel), so only using 61% of max at 70mph (or 69% at more realistic 80mph).  

The official (unrealistic) extra urban fuel consumption is 60.1 mpg for 1.0 tsi and 64.2 for 1.6 diesel, not that much of a difference, especially as real world (at UK temperatures) is usually 15-20% worst for petrol, and 20-25% worst for diesel

Yes should be same 115 engine as Ateca, (there are lower power versions of this engine in some models) but I think all DSG versions are the 115

^^^

It is going to be interesting to see the WLTP figures that Skoda will have to publish very soon and have on their Online Brochures since they are done with Printed ones.

So they will have the figures for the various engines and trims for fuel usage and emissions as given from the same testing regime.

These are going to be revealing and obviously affect which vehicles / engines are on sale in the UK after September and into 2019.

Amazing if Skoda / VW are getting the low emissions required with a 1.6TDI without SCR.

No more of these kidology EU testing figures.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Edited by Offski

11 hours ago, Lou91 said:

Today I test drove a 2.0tdi Edition Karoq and was very impressed, we are now looking at potentially buying one but I'm really unsure on which engine to choose. 

We do an average of 7000 - 8000 miles per year, mostly short journeys but also do a couple motorway trips a month along with an annual drive down to Cornwall (Around 400 miles down)..

I imagine the 1.0 petrol is probably not best suited for this? So I was perhaps thinking about the 1.6 diesel with a DSG transmission (The 1.5 petrol and 2.0 diesel are quite expensive compared to the 1.0 and 1.6 on a 36 month lease).

Does anybody have either of these and can shine some light on how it handles long trips or being loaded up? Currently drive a BMW 520d which has a fairly nice amount of pull even at 70mph.

Thanks!

I would have had a 1.6Tdi if it came in a 4x4 variant. I test drove one and found it to have enough go (250Nm of torque) even though heavier than my previous car with same engine.

I have just come out of a SEAT Leon 1.6TDi DSG and found the engine / gearbox combination to be great. Enough go for A-road overtakes and yet relaxed when cruising. It was the most economical car I have ever driven, a genuine (measured) 56mpg average over the 47K miles I drove it. For motorway work it was extraordinarily frugal, unfortunately that is not a large part of my driving. http://www.fuelly.com/car/seat/leon/2015/luckypants/353938

I would caution against a diesel if doing lots of short trips where the engine / exhaust does not get properly hot - You will find the car does a lot of DPF regens and eventually you may get DPF problems. One decent journey a week will avoid this, but if doing short journeys the majority of the time, a petrol is the way to go. The Leon mentioned above used to get a trip to Liverpool most weeks of 45 miles each way, that avoided DPF issues for me.

Ones built up to now will be slightly different from those about to be built.  

?

Or are they already coming in with a GPF?

The 1.0TSI will get a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter), as the Mk3 Fabia Face Lift is about to get.

No idea what difference if any that will make, i have not seen anything from Skoda / VW on any differences this will cause other than lower emissions...

Haven't read anything official from them either.  Reading about GPF's seems to indicate that a general penalty of minus 5 to 10 HP applies.

I've seen that the 280 HP TSi Superb is dropping to 272 HP. The 1.4 Tsi in 150HP setup would have dropped and hence the increase to a 1.5 as it would have been a factor in maintaining the 150HP rating. 

I read all this on the Interweb so it must be true. As true as anything from a VAG press office anyways. I'm thinking they might have some mushy underpants moments if the CO2 jumps as much as indicated for the 1.0 TSi,  as per Offskis video link above. It's the CO2 we pay tax on here. 

My wife has the 1.2 Yeti DSG (same power as the 1.0 Karoq), and it's great, surprisingly nippy, pulls well and easily cruises at 70 on the motorway. Fuel economy is also OK.

Brother in law had a Qashqai diesel and with the short journeys he had no end of trouble with the DPF, certainly wouldn't advise it on low mileage.

I have 1.0 TSI DSG and im verry happy...it has lower consuption than 1.5 TSI also on highways with same speed and more people in the car! Its just a little bit slower 0-100km/h but its 2 seconds only, also im driving a car full of people. Check this video its in PL but you probably got the point in numbers....they speak if 1.0 TSI is better or 1.5 and winner is 1.0 DSG..

its in

• Like 1

5 years ago I purchased the 1.6TDI YETI Greenline and was impressed with the performance and fuel economy until they "fixed" the emissions issue then everything went south.  I drive 18K mile per year mainly on motorways so diesel was a must and I *never* had the DPF light come on once.  So if the majority of your driving is short journeys around town get a petrol otherwise get a diesel ... and the 1.6 TDI DSG drives really well with enough power when it matters :)

• Like 1

I too drive a lot on motorways so I'm considering the 1.6 Tdi as well as the 2.0Tdi. Good to hear dave-knight's positive comments about the 1.6's driveability (if there is such a word!).  If you see this Dave, could you let us know what your long term fuel consumption on the 1.6 is please?  If any 2.0Tdi owners could publish their fuel consumption figures as well you make me a happy bunny!  Many thanks.

Well I don't have a 1.6TDi in the Karoq, but I found it to be very economical in my previous car. A Seat Leon ST(estate) which would regularly turn in 61-62mpg on a 70mph cruise. One particular trip down to the Pyrenees we averaged 61.2 for the entire trip of 2400 or so miles, 3 guys plus cycling gear (bikes in the car). Not a Karoq I know, but gives a feel. That was measured at the pump mpg, not computer mpg. See this link for how that car did fill up to fill up http://www.fuelly.com/car/seat/leon/2015/luckypants/353938

To see how my current 2.0TDi 4x4 Karoq is doing, click the image in my signature. This is mainly our running around rural Wales, I've achieved 54mpg on the motorway.

Edited by Luckypants

Very happy with the 3 pot after 2.0L Yeti. Too early to say what fuel consumption will be but first and only brim to brim figures on short journeys is 43. The Yeti was around the same over the same routes but had all the potential issues of the diesel although I never had any DPF warnings (it did regenerate a lot though especially after fix)

I'm a bit confused over this seemingly excess attention to fuel mileage - particularly with annual driving of around 8000 miles/12800 km per year. The difference between 40 mpg and 50 mpg  results in a difference in annual fuel use of 180 liters/40 gallons. At a typical price in the UK of 130p/liter, this is a difference of £234/year. Not a significant sum for most people.

With only about 1000 miles on the car, my fuel consumption is not really representative as yet, but it has varied between 40 and 50 mpg. Mixture of many very short trips and a few motorway journeys. My experience with Skoda Diesels - Octavia PD and two Yeti's over the last 14 years has been that there have been no problems with the DPF or any other things diesel related.

The engine management system in the current Karoq is quite complicated, but serves to heat the engine up very quickly - 90°C cooling water temperature after just 2-3 miles - so I am not really concerned over the diesel for short trips, as long as you get a good high speed run a few times per month.

The controls of the DSG is really very harmonious with the 2.0 TDI - much better than the same gear in my short sojourn in a T-Roc with the 2.0 190 hp petrol engine.

I do not NEED the 2.0 diesel nor the 4x4 drive, but it sure fits my style of driving and I thoroughly enjoy it's performance - almost as good handling as the old yeti.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, XPilot said:

I too drive a lot on motorways so I'm considering the 1.6 Tdi as well as the 2.0Tdi. Good to hear dave-knight's positive comments about the 1.6's driveability (if there is such a word!).  If you see this Dave, could you let us know what your long term fuel consumption on the 1.6 is please?  If any 2.0Tdi owners could publish their fuel consumption figures as well you make me a happy bunny!  Many thanks.

I have the 1.6TDI in the Octavia and a recent 800-km round trip (including some driving in heavy traffic within cities) returned 65MPG according to the MID for the whole trip (actual MPG was 60 when I refueled after the trip). My car had 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) and luggage for 4 days.

I had a friend with me on the trip driving his new Karoq 1.6TDI DSG, which had done less than 500 miles when we started the trip. It showed 52MPG for the onward journey and 60MPG for the return journey according to the MID. His car had 5 people (3 adults, 2 kids) and luggage for 4 days.

For the first 2 years of my Octavia ownership, I used to do short trips every working day (office was only 6km away from home). I have never had the DPF light come on.

My average consumption over 3+ years has been about 46MPG, About 30% of my 23300+ miles have been on highway trips.

Edited by manlms

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:47, XPilot said:

If any 2.0Tdi owners could publish their fuel consumption figures as well you make me a happy bunny!  Many thanks.

Latest tank average is 46.3 for 495 miles, measured from what was put in the tank. Not bad.

Trip to the office this morning. Clear run, mixture of lanes / a-roads and motorway. Take that with a pinch of salt, I think my computer is around 2-3 mpg optimistic.

20180614_155802.jpg

Edited by Luckypants

I had a loan 1.0tsi DSG (was told it was a 1.4 on handover) and thought the performance was as good as my manual 1.4 Octavia Combi. That's praise. Fuel consumption  was a bit higher, around 45mpg, on a mixed urban and 70 mph M1 trip. My Octavia would get over 50mpg on the same journey. The Karoq was quiet enough, with just a bit of wind noise at 70mph and some tyre roar.

And no , I couldn't tell it was a 3 cylinder engine.

Edited by gregoir

Thanks all for the replies to my fuel consumption question - very helpful and will aid the decision making process.  I fancy the Edition which will dictate the 2.0Tdi and 4x4 over the the 1.6 Tdi which will dictate 2x4 and SEL - just need to convince the other half!

I have a 1.0 tsi Ateca on a 36 month lease, 8k per year. I was concerned it may be underpowered but thoughts of this have disappeared over 1500 mile as it's loosened up nicely and returns high 40s to the gallon.  It's refined at speed and it's surprising able on the motorway too. I should expect a 1.0 Karoq to be very similar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2018 at 09:47, XPilot said:

I'm getting about 51mph from my karoq 1.6 TDI DSG.  The average mpg from refuel gets as high as 55mph on the trip computer however the true "fill-to-fill" reveals more like 51mph.

I've also been playing with the "ECO" mode recently and whilst it does seem to improve the fuel consumption a little it is at the expense of the performance, the effect is hard to explain as the car still accelerate well with "kick-down" however normal acceleration, e.g. change lanes on motorway to overtake feels more like you are pulling a trailer!