Superb 140 Cr remap recommendations

Hi all, 

Recently got my 12 plate superb and love the space it gives so far! Coming from a 250bhp 2.0tfsi a4 previously the power is a little lacking. I was hoping to reuse my bluefin unit from the audi but it isn't compatible. So, STS from shark performance the best bet? Or has any one had any good experiences with a company down south? Closer to Wiltshire the better really. 

Any help and advice would be great! 

36 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

Hi

I had mine remapped at Superchips in Canterbury, great results and been very happy. 

Can you describe the power delivery? I don't want an overly aggressive torque spike and I'm hoping it will bring back some extra mpg after the emissions recall as I've heard the update affects mpg a fair bit. Thanks. 

Sure, we'll before the remap 1st gear was hugely restricted, now not so, its pulls hard from around 1,700rpm. Max torque at 2,200 and max power at 4,100 with little drop off until 4,600rpm.

Driving is much easier with the remap as you're nearly always in the torque band. 

The difference is night and day, very drivable and the power it always needed. 

5 minutes ago, Norv said:

Was this just a tuning box or a remap? I'm not happy with using the tuning boxes personally. 

Why ? It's the same as generic remap but can be easily removed - in case of the write off accident or change of cars and you can rewrite it for a different engine for the fraction of original price.

You won't get 2x more hp / torque from remap - paying very similar price.

2 hours ago, Greenline3Matt said:

Sure, we'll before the remap 1st gear was hugely restricted, now not so, its pulls hard from around 1,700rpm. Max torque at 2,200 and max power at 4,100 with little drop off until 4,600rpm.

Driving is much easier with the remap as you're nearly always in the torque band. 

The difference is night and day, very drivable and the power it always needed. 

Thanks for the detailed description, I've had a number of remapped petrol and diesel cars, it's just good to know a long term review. 

1 hour ago, jafo said:

Why ? It's the same as generic remap but can be easily removed - in case of the write off accident or change of cars and you can rewrite it for a different engine for the fraction of original price.

It isn't the same as a remap. Fooling the fuel and boost pressures will give short term power increases, but will run far from the optimum. Fuel tables aren't adjusted, boost pressure isn't optimised and it is nothing like a generic map. 

Every car off the factory line runs a generic map, so a 'tuned' generic map set to safe levels will suit almost every car, which saves on dyno time and individual tuning, which would give better results, but isn't always necessary. 

I'll either stay as it is or opt for a generic map from the most well reviewed diesel tuner I think personally. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Norv said:

I'm hoping it will bring back some extra mpg after the emissions recall as I've heard the update affects mpg a fair bit. Thanks. 

If your car has had the EA189 emissions fix then it is highly recommended to 'rollback' to a pre-fix file before going for a power remap.  This then fully removes the fix software, giving you back the original performance and none of the premature issues with EGR/DPF etc, and then you can safely remap on that basis.   I have the CR140 and will be looking to rollback then remap in due course.  At the moment I am still covered by the TBM so wouldn't be wise to rollback while there is still some sort of cover in place.

Edited by TasMan
  • Like 1

I went the Shark performance (stage I) route with my 2014 140 BHP Yeti.

This had the EA189 emissions update, but ran poorly thereafter and Shark deleted the update and loaded a stage I map.

The car is now hugely more tractable and economy is back to pre EA189 levels - more here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/429970-ea189-emissions-update-my-experience/

I previously ran mapped petrol and diesel cars (Revo and Jabba stage I) and found the Shark map a bit less immediate, but very progressive (and best suited to my general driving style).

I've not tried a tuning box, so unable to comment.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll speak to shark again then as I'm not sure the roll back can be done via the sts unit. Hopefully he has somewhere that it can be done a bit closer to me. I'll give him a call. 

Cheers. 

I'm struggling to get an email response or get hold of shark on the phone. Is there any other companies in the south to roll back and remap these engines? Google just throws up a lot of random tuning box companies annoyingly! 

I've been recommended Devil Developments in Littlehampton which aren't too far away. After speaking with their tuner I think I will most likelt go with those. They said the map will overwrite any EA189 changes anyway and increase power to around 180bhp.

If I go ahead with it I'll leave a review as I can't find much in the way of feedback on their VAG diesel mapping. Thanks for all the advice so far. 

I've been looking into it and reversing the fix seems the way to go. Can this be done via the sts tool prior to a remap? Does anyone know of anywhere in the south that can do it? Closest so far is Luton at gb auto tech but I haven't heard anything of them yet. 

12 hours ago, Norv said:

I've been looking into it and reversing the fix seems the way to go. Can this be done via the sts tool prior to a remap? Does anyone know of anywhere in the south that can do it? Closest so far is Luton at gb auto tech but I haven't heard anything of them yet. 

I am not familiar with the STS device but from my basic knowledge the tuner needs to have access to the correct pre-fix file for your ECU, at which point this is flashed on to your ECU to fully remove the fix file.  There are a whole range of fix and pre-fix files so it needs to relate back to the original build of your car.  Therefore I don't think the STS will do the rollback.  Hopefully I'm not breaking forum rules, but if you go on Facebook there is a group called 'EA189 Emissions Fix Reversal Assistance Forum' and the knowledge on this forum (to coin a Skoda term...) is Superb!  If you join this group and access the group files there is a wealth of information on the whole EA189 issue, including process for rollback etc.  If you post up a 'recommendation for a tuner request' the Admin guys will get back to you very quickly with some recommended tuners. 

I am planning to rollback and then run the car for a few months to gauge the results, and then consider a Stage 1 remap.  As Jafo says, inform your insurer....I recently enquired about a remap and it was going to add about £10 to my premium, but must be declared.  As far as I know the rollback doesn't need declared as this in theory was an optional software update in the first place and still leaves the car as it left the factory.  Please post back with your further updates as I am sure it will help benefit others on here.  Cheers Dave

• Like 1

Here's my advice!

Take the car in for the emissions fix, wait for the EGR to fail, have a new EGR fitted under the 'Trust Building Measure' for free and then enjoy increased performance :D

I vehemently resisited have the EA189 fix applied to my car (for obvious reasons) until I started getting an 'EGR Insufficent Flow' fault code which quickly led to the engine management light coming on.

I cleared the light, nervously booked the car in for the emissions fix... and noticed no adverse effects, she drove just as smoothly as before.

Got the EGR replaced under warranty when the EML came back on, left the fix in place and the car feels new again!

I now have warranty cover for the next 20,000 miles on a 7 year old, 145,000 mile car, if the DPF, EGR or injectors also fail.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Here's my advice!

Take the car in for the emissions fix, wait for the EGR to fail, have a new EGR fitted under the 'Trust Building Measure' for free and then enjoy increased performance :D

I vehemently resisited have the EA189 fix applied to my car (for obvious reasons) until I started getting an 'EGR Insufficent Flow' fault code which quickly led to the engine management light coming on.

I cleared the light, nervously booked the car in for the emissions fix... and noticed no adverse effects, she drove just as smoothly as before.

Got the EGR replaced under warranty when the EML came back on, left the fix in place and the car feels new again!

I now have warranty cover for the next 20,000 miles on a 7 year old, 145,000 mile car, if the DPF, EGR or injectors also fail.

I'm of a similar mindset: if the EGR or DPF show signs of dying, it's going in for the update and I'll see what happens after that.

13 hours ago, TasMan said:

I am not familiar with the STS device but from my basic knowledge the tuner needs to have access to the correct pre-fix file for your ECU, at which point this is flashed on to your ECU to fully remove the fix file.  There are a whole range of fix and pre-fix files so it needs to relate back to the original build of your car.  Therefore I don't think the STS will do the rollback.  Hopefully I'm not breaking forum rules, but if you go on Facebook there is a group called 'EA189 Emissions Fix Reversal Assistance Forum' and the knowledge on this forum (to coin a Skoda term...) is Superb!  If you join this group and access the group files there is a wealth of information on the whole EA189 issue, including process for rollback etc.  If you post up a 'recommendation for a tuner request' the Admin guys will get back to you very quickly with some recommended tuners. 

I am planning to rollback and then run the car for a few months to gauge the results, and then consider a Stage 1 remap.  As Jafo says, inform your insurer....I recently enquired about a remap and it was going to add about £10 to my premium, but must be declared.  As far as I know the rollback doesn't need declared as this in theory was an optional software update in the first place and still leaves the car as it left the factory.  Please post back with your further updates as I am sure it will help benefit others on here.  Cheers Dave

Thanks Dave, that was an extremely helpful reply and I have found what I was looking for. I've got the fix being removed Tuesday and I'll update this with more information and my review as such after I've had time to see how it is all going. 

The Facebook group is a wealth of information in the recall fix and anything DPF related. I've just got the VAG DPF app for peace of mind as we tend to do shorter journeys more often than not and I can pre empt any regen attempts or drive further to let it finish, I'd recommend the app even if you're just interested in how it all works and what it all means. 

Cheers, Mark 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Norv said:

I've got the fix being removed Tuesday and I'll update this with more information and my review as such after I've had time to see how it is all going. 

The Facebook group is a wealth of information in the recall fix and anything DPF related. I've just got the VAG DPF app for peace of mind as we tend to do shorter journeys more often than not and I can pre empt any regen attempts or drive further to let it finish, I'd recommend the app even if you're just interested in how it all works and what it all means. 

Glad you got sorted out Mark.  Out of all the dross on FB its a great group, no nonsense, just folk wanting to help.  I spied your post and noted you had a reply.

I will be looking at a rollback towards the end of the year once I am clear of the TBM, my car was fixed by the dealer prior to me buying it when the previous owner traded it in, certainly wouldn't have gone for it myself. 

VAG DPF is brilliant and as you say allows planning of regens while on the road.  The help file on the full app is also very useful.

Look forward to the rollback update.  Out of interest, can you advise from your VAG DPF what 'fix' software version is on your ECU , its the code under SW on the main screen, I have the 9978 fix file, and I am told via the FB group its not so straightforward to rollback as there was no prior update from the factory build software.  I am hopeful a competent tuner will be able to sort me out.

Cheers Dave

On 05/06/2018 at 20:43, Norv said:

Was this just a tuning box or a remap? I'm not happy with using the tuning boxes personally. 

On 05/06/2018 at 20:54, jafo said:

Ran a DTUK box on a 170CR Yeti and it drank fuel (overfuelling) and gave a sooty tailpipe. Took it to Shark and it runs better economy than std with much better low down torque.

On 06/06/2018 at 19:45, jafo said:

@Norv

Remember to inform your insurance company if you do a remap.

The same goes for a tuning box!

I have had 3 CR’s done by Shark and I doubt you will fins a better map or person to do the car, the only downside is they can be hard to pin down due to how busy they are... BUT they are worth persevering with (I wouldn’t go anywhere else)

I know ;) I had to change insurer.

Don't think it is overfuelling - definitely more fuel efficient with a lot more power - stock wouldn't go more than 140 mph ;) it's not a problem anymore ;) 

I'll do few tests on rolling road in September - so can compare notes ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 16:00, Norv said:

Hi Dave, 

Mine is also 9978 so I've asked in advance just in case it could cause issues. Thanks for the heads up. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

How did you get on with the roll back Mark, and the 9978 file ?