MPG

patrolman

58 minutes ago, Stefanos said:

Have had my 2.0 TDI 4x4 for 3 weeks now and have done 900 miles. I'm averaging 45mpg on my 30 mile commute which is a mix of A roads - some drives through villages and some dual carriageway.

Does anyone with the same car do any better? I was hoping for high 40s or possibly 50. Also does anyone know if the consumption improve with more miles?

I have the same car but DSG and have done around 4000 mls , I am getting about the same average on a mix of A road and dual carriageway.

Very much like the DSG Octavia Scout I had last. When I got it in late July ( hot weather ) I was getting low to mid 50s, it was already run in with 5000 on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefanos said:

It's actually 30 miles each way from a cold start. Based on this it sounds like the economy should be better?

1. the 2.0 TDI traditionally takes almost 6000 miles to run in properly, so don't sweat it after just 900 miles.

2. The mix of roads indicate a bit of stopping, acceleration and roundabots, so the 45 MPG is not silly - remember you are accelerating 1600 kg.

Edited by Agerbundsen

2 hours ago, Stefanos said:

It's actually 30 miles each way from a cold start. Based on this it sounds like the economy should be better?

Mine improved after the third tank, approx. 1500 miles. I get an average 46, mixed driving but a lot of shorter (<10 miles) drives down country lanes. We have a big hill to our place that means MPG takes a hit.

• Like 1

If left on Variable / Flexible servicing and the Oil it was filled at the factory with is like clotted cream before 12,000 miles then by 18,000 - 20,000 miles the economy will likely be really good before the Oil & Filter change.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

?

It is going to be interesting to see how cars built in the months of 2018 & then the New WLTP Approved TDI & TSI do with the factory filled VW508/509 (0w20 FS LL)

then if they get that spec at the Interim or Major service (VW508/509) or Dealers put in VW504 / 507 (5w 30 FS LL)

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Offski

I am still quite disappointed with the fuel consumption of my 1.5 DSG but I have only done about 1200 miles so far.  At the weekend, I went on a 70-80 mile trip which was mostly quite busy motorway.  On the way out, I set the ACC to 72 mph and tried to keep moving as much as possible but the ACC kept applying the brakes whereas I would have coasted to slow down.  The computer indicated 39.8mpg.  On the way back, I decided on a different tactic.  Set the ACC to 65 ad use the slow lane.  I would only overtake if speed dropped below about 55.  This reduced the amount of braking from the ACC and the computed show 46.9mpg at the end - a significant change (about 15%).  It was a Sunday evening so fewer lorries around in the slow lane.  Over the whole journey, I lost about 8 minutes compared to the TomTom calculated time for the journey so probably worth the trade off.

• 3 months later...

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put the 65mpg cruise tactic into play, a run down to pick up wife from Heathrow T5.

Stuck DSG onto normal mode at 65. As it was Friday more people heading out of London than going down. M25 was clear from M40 due to accident just the other side so only traffic on M25 from the M40 junction was us. Clearest I have ever seen it.

Anyway I hit 50mpg!!! Thanks to Ted's for suggestion.

It was a lot more relaxed drive and did not significantly delay me. So it is possible to hit the magic 50 but you need to be relaxed at 65mph...

8,000 miles on Karoq at moment...

Previous journey to drop her off I hit around 44mpg on way down, but as I had an appointment on way back and I hit Monday morning rush hour madness I booted it back up M40 and it does shift quite nicely...

2019-03-29 20.33.48.jpg

• Like 1

Hi yes I could tell and I have been experimenting with how I can get into 2cylinder mode.

The short answer not that often.

My guess would be 10 to maybe 20% at most...

The “instant” mpg brings up a message when in 2 cylinder mode like it does for coasting in Eco mode. 

I have found that light throttle around or below 60mph on level ground activates it. Never seen it at 70mph. 

Tom

Thanks for that information.

I hope someone tries a similar 60mph speed trip for more ACT activation. Maybe near 60mpg (or better) available then?

Been crunching the numbers on the wife's Karoq 1.5Tsi SEL manual over the last 3,030 miles and 318.43 litres used (70.05 gallons) at an actual 43.25mpg, not too different to the maxi dot.:) Still 4,600 miles to the first service after 14,100 miles.:thumbup:

image.jpg

9 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Been crunching the numbers on the wife's Karoq 1.5Tsi SEL manual over the last 3,030 miles and 318.43 litres used (70.05 gallons) at an actual 43.25mpg, not too different to the maxi dot.:) Still 4,600 miles to the first service after 14,100 miles.:thumbup:

image.jpg

don't forget the long term use is not since new and resets itself once it reaches 99 hours of driving which is why you say you've done it over 3030 miles but the car says over 2561 miles the average is 44.6. I find it really annoying that it resets but another Skoda anomaly maybe?.  It seems 43+mpg is the going rate then :biggrin:

When the car was 1 year old at the end of January 2019 I posted these actual figures.12,334 miles driven, 1,237.87 litres (272.30 gallons) at an average 45.30mpg.:biggrin: It does give a fairly consistent 470-480 mile range with the 50 litre fuel tank though.:thumbup: