Vrs 184 manual to sportline 220 dsg?

Very close to changing my Octavia VRS 184 TDI to a Superb Sportline 220 TSI DSG.

I'm on my 2nd MK3 VRS and as they are no longer taking orders for the TDI I thought this would be a nice change. Have to say I have loved both of my Octavia's and think they are pretty unbeatable for power v economy.

Anyone else made the same change and advise what to expect?

20160918_114403.jpg

FB_IMG_1474493463705.jpg

Edited by kewe

I didn't make the same jump although did drive both before ordering.. I also had a Mk1 VRS previously, although came from a 2.8 4motion passat..  When driving both I noticed a large step up in spec levels.. it's silly things in the superb over the VRS like

Keyless entry and start / stop

no physical handbrake

Adaptive cruise

more space

more refinement

Larger infotainment system - 9.2 Columbus. 

Things I wish the sportline had - VRS button, proper exhaust pipes.. but that's it and I'm 100% happy with my decision.. 

i went from a mk2 Octavia RS TSi (running at Stg 2+) to the Superb 220.

was a good step up and i'm loving it.

The Superb is more laid back cruiser type, but u can still plant ur foot down and it will deliver.

tis not as agile as the Octavia, which is understandable given the size.

u won't regret it :)

I went from a Mk 2 !70CR VRS to a 280 SEL Executive Superb and I am very happy with the change. The space inside the car is a lot more in the Superb which is great for the kids in the back seats. A very comfortable and effortless car to drive. Does not feel as sharp on the steering etc. and certainly rolls a lot more than the VRS but it grips well and goes around corners just as fast as the VRS did.

I went from a 150 TDI (Leon Mk3) > 184 TDI (then remapped that to 230ps, Leon Mk3) > 150 TDI (Superb 3, Sportline) > 280 TSI (Sportline).  I test drove the 220 and 280 TSI's back to back and the difference between the TSI's and the TDI's is astonishing.  As much as I thought the current VAG diesels are fairly smooth and refined, you'll get into a TSI and swear stop-start had kicked in and cut the engine.  Even with a TDI under the bonnet the Superb is a refined car IME but it's just so much nicer with a smooth and vibration free petrol/TSI.     There's actually little difference between the 220 and 280 unless you're really giving it the beans (same torque output, so the 280 only really 'wins' at high revs).

I was in my brothers Octavia 184 Scout last week and it sounded like a tractor and the interior quality, space and general refinement isn't a touch on the Superb.  I was in my local dealers recently and got inside a vRS 245 hatch and while the interior is nice and I think better than the Leon and the Golf but it's nowhere near as nice as that of the Superb. 

I'll be honest, I find the 184/190 TDI a bit of a let down, it just never feels like it produces the numbers that the spec sheet states unless you're working the engine pretty hard and by then you're in license losing territory.  I was so disappointed in the engine when I owned a mk3 Leon FR that I had it remapped; much better.   I found it to be the same in the Superb 3 so just went back to the 150TDI. 

The 220 is a fab engine and I think it's perfectly suited to the DSG gearbox and the Superb.  If I was doing more miles then I'd have gone for one over the 280 and would still see it as an improvement on my previous Superb Sportline.  Don't get me wrong that wasn't a bad car, I loved it; it's just the TSI's make a good car even better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, technics100 said:

no one likes a show off..  :-)

@penguin17 you don't even have roof rails!!! :tongueout:B);)

I've got rails and exhausts...

I'm not helping much, am I :):)

Superb clean 1.JPG

Thanks. Some great info.

Sounds like I can expect a bit more luxury and a smoother drive. Only other concern would be mpg, how do you find it?

3 hours ago, kewe said:

Only other concern would be mpg, how do you find it?

I have the 220 but in L&K Trim. mpg really depends on how you drive it.

I can average 40+ on a sensible long journey and about 35 poodling around the lanes. Have some fun on the twists and turns using the paddles and it drops to 20-25.  Hit the loud button and you need a big wallet

Point for me is that the loud button really isn't needed for 99% of the time; smooth acceleration is plenty enough. 

Admittedly a 280, but with a combination of mostly sedate driving long distance journeys and occasional excursions into the hooligan zone I am seeing long term (3000+ miles so far) average of 30mpg. I'd think you'll do a bit better than that with the 220.

The other weekend I did ~100 miles along fairly quick roads (mostly all single/dual NSL) and with the family in the car wasn't pushing it too hard but still had a very reasonable average speed for the journey and was astonished to see that my 280 had managed just shy of 40MPG (and no, I don't use eco mode)!

I don't sit watching the consumption most of the time but whilst I do visit the pumps more frequently than my previous 170 TDI I wouldn't say it was worryingly so, although the larger tank helps with that which hurts slightly.  All is forgiven once back behind the wheel.

I'm at ~15k miles in now and consumption figures anywhere between 30-35 are easy to achieve even when making it roar.

A 220 should easily match - and almost certainly beat - that. :thumbup:

I went from a 184bhp TDI mkiii octavia Vrs but it was DSG not manual. 

I'm now in a 220 TSI superb sportline DSG.

I love it. The engine is fantastically smooth and suite the DSG gearbox perfectly. 

The only thing I miss from the Octavia is it's agile handling. The superb is a lot softer in the bends. Other than that the superb is a totally different league over the Octavia. A definite upgrade that I for one don't regret. 

• Thanks 1

I’m ready to make the move from TDi VRS to 280 Sportline. A couple of you mention the Superb feels softer in the corners. Has anyone got real world comparison with DCC on the 220/280 compared to handling of the VRS?

38 minutes ago, slimmy said:

I’m ready to make the move from TDi VRS to 280 Sportline. A couple of you mention the Superb feels softer in the corners. Has anyone got real world comparison with DCC on the 220/280 compared to handling of the VRS?

The stiff suspension on my previous VRS was one of the reasons I decided to change cars as it was just plain uncomfortable on anything except perfectly smooth roads.  Even with the DCC in sport mode on my 280 it still feels more comfortable than I remember the VRS used to be.

Perhaps I'm just getting old!

45 minutes ago, wooyay said:

The stiff suspension on my previous VRS was one of the reasons I decided to change cars as it was just plain uncomfortable on anything except perfectly smooth roads.  Even with the DCC in sport mode on my 280 it still feels more comfortable than I remember the VRS used to be.

Perhaps I'm just getting old!

This is what I expected and had experienced in a (short) test drive. I'm ready for less harsh suspension but better performance. And I'm definitely getting old(er).

My Sportline is a cruiser. It sits lower than a other Superbs, but that doesn't make a bit difference. Even in sport mode, the car is not going to corner like anything with a shorter wheelbase and less weight. It's just too long and too heavy.

Having said that, the steering is sharp, I don't experience oversteer (I don't push it) and it always feels stable.

But, if you want "sporty" buy something else.

Sounds good. Well that's my order in for 1st Sept delivery, fingers crossed!

Now my vrs I also had DTUK tuning box and pedal box. I think I can transfer the pedal box but obviously not the tuning box. Anyone any experience with either DTUK tuning box or pedal box on the Superb 220?

Please no tuning box arguments I've heard them all, just looking for anyones experience that has them fitted.

20 minutes ago, kewe said:

Sounds good. Well that's my order in for 1st Sept delivery, fingers crossed!

Now my vrs I also had DTUK tuning box and pedal box. I think I can transfer the pedal box but obviously not the tuning box. Anyone any experience with either DTUK tuning box or pedal box on the Superb 220?

Please no tuning box arguments I've heard them all, just looking for anyones experience that has them fitted.

Your pedal box will swap straight over. I have one and I spoke with DTUK who said it would. 

No issues and works fine. 

I also had a tuning box for the TDI which is obviously not compatible. 

I'm happy with the performance of the 220 as standard so won't be looking to add a tuning box to it.

They look like a bit more difficult to fit with having to connect part of the harness to the bottom of the engine, which requires the car to be jacked up. 

• Like 1