Dangerous tyre wear on inside shoulder

Right, I went to my local garage, they put it on a ramp and agreed the rear axle is fixed and cannot be adjusted. They have checked it and confirm it’s bent but never been in an accident. The numbers I have from the wheel alignment garage are exactly the same -1’89 on both sides. 

I went to Skoda after and they booked me to diagnose! I know don’t start me on it, £150 to tell me what I already know. Managed to get an appointment on the 11 May however my tyres will be gone by then. Obviously Skoda never heard of it but the ladies there have hardly driven a car I would say! 

need a new axle! What guarantees do I have the axle will be straight? 

Where else can I go. All garages I went to told me to scrap or change the axle. That’s stupid and can’t accept any of their suggestions. I can go to a garage if you suggest that this issue is known and other people have had it fixed. 

If the camber is less than 2 then it shouldn’t be wearing the tyres out that badly and quickly assuming you abide by the recommended upper end of tyre pressures. Something else must be out to cause that severe wear. If the camber is ok why is the garage saying the axle

Is stuffed?

What tyre pressure partic in the rears do you run?

If the axle is indeed bent then you will have to change it.

Skoda would only fit new genuine. 

Other garages may be able to get good secondhand or possibly even aftermarket versions which would both be much cheaper, and labour rates almost certainly less too.

1 minute ago, Donweather said:

If the camber is less than 2 then it shouldn’t be wearing the tyres out that badly and quickly assuming you abide by the recommended upper end of tyre pressures. Something else must be out to cause that severe wear. If the camber is ok why is the garage saying the axle

Is stuffed?

What tyre pressure partic in the rears do you run?

Axle could be bent in front-to-rear plane, I guess causing toe alignment issues which might be involved. 

Have you been travelling long distances laden?

Does your vehicle look lower at the rear than similar vehicles?

These vehicles rip through the inside of rear tyres when laden even if the rears are run at the higher pressure recommended, far too much camber change with suspension movement./

I would not contemplate changing the axle until I had seen both the rear toe and camber values, also thrust angle.

If camber has been measured then you will have the others, you might be quoting the rear toe in value though.

Does anyone know what the factory values are?

Please do not drive that vehicle even one inch on those tyres, one is about to let go,  for the future check the tyre waer across the whole width of the tyre, I know its not easy but you are very lucky to have not had a potentially fatal blowout.

Edited by J.R.

Dear All, thank you for your comments /input. I had actually a blow on the A1 at 85mph but nothing happened. Pulled over and changed for the spare. All garages I have been have told me that I need a new axle. I booked it in so that Skoda will confirm that this is the case. I have replaced the tyres again yesterday to a set of brand new Bridgestones. They won’t last because i am doing about 3-4000 a month. These are the current values given to me yesterday. What is weird is that left and right are identical almost. I attache a photo of the axle as well. You can all see there is nothing to adjust. Even if I buy new shocks and coils not sure this will fix the issue. Seems that no one had this issue otherwise someone would have come up a solution. 

IMG_2042.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Toe is miles out on left too, looks like something wrong at left end of beam.

Pete, I don’t know to be honest. I am listening to people that actually understand these numbers. I need some advice on what to do next. I am taking the new tyres off and use a set of second hand I had in my garage 6mm left for the time being so that I don’t ruin the new ones. I need to get is sorted asap. I don’t know where to go from here. 

3 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

If you like I can copy and annotate the relevant bits of that printout to improve its clarity?

That would be nice. Thank you! Front I know they are ok. The car drives perfectly. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I would think you could probably see the left (nearside) rear's non-straightness (toe problem) by eye, relative to the front-to-back centreline of car?

I get that but what’s causing that so that I repair. Worn coils, worn shocks? What’s causing it. The car is immaculate throughout! Drives perfectly. There is no one single comment on the internet to mention this issue. No one has ever seen this but obviously I have. It’s chewing the tyres too fast without an obvious fault underneath. 

See if this helps. Why do you not believe the rear beam has a problem (e.g. being bent)? Have you inspected thoroughly from underneath yourself?

Probably needs to be on an overhead ramp/lift to see clearly.

335392345_Screenshot2023-04-2817_19_57.png.aa5a5a3499f9d0f6559ecc7f79ad17b8.png

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I would think you could probably see the left (nearside) rear's non-straightness (toe problem) by eye, relative to the front-to-back centreline of car?

I get that but what’s causing that so that I repair. Worn coils, worn shocks? What’s causing it. The car is immaculate throughout! Drives perfectly. There is no one single comment on the internet to mention this issue. No one has ever seen this but obviously I have. It’s chewing the tyres too fast without an obvious fault underneath. We went underneath today 3 mechanics looked at it and then here is no obvious bend or anything. Everyone is guessing, it may be bent. I can go ahead and chnage the axle but i want to make sure that the culprit. 

Something shouts out at me from the above.

Manufacturers specifications for rear toe are positive, ie toe out, no way is that correct.

I am very wary of companies that dont know how to set up their equipment properly or realise that the figures in their print out are unplausible.

Looking at the thrust angle I would say that the rear axle is misaligned on its mountings (does the live axle have a crossmember with clearance on the fixings like the IRS version?) and if it were centralised the toe angles would be (more) equal at a zero thrust angle.

It could have had a shunt at the top of the NSR wheel, sliding into a kerb would decrease the camber though.

Its usually the front subframe  that gets misaligned but the operators of the 4 wheel alignment rigs never seem to check that against the bodywork before taking the settings from the rear axle.

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

I did a similar thing to align my front & rear subframes, I used a laser spirit level held to the centre line of the wheel rim with bungy cords and a cardboard target clamped by the closed front door at the B post.

1.89° if it is to be believed would be visible with a string line, hell anything that could wear a rear tyre like that would be visible by a seasoned eye and definitely with a string line or straight edge.

I am unhappy with the supposed manufacturers rear toe out figure. rear toe out on a vehicle makes it very very keen to swap ends.

23 minutes ago, AndyM20 said:

I get that but what’s causing that so that I repair. Worn coils, worn shocks? What’s causing it. The car is immaculate throughout! Drives perfectly. There is no one single comment on the internet to mention this issue. No one has ever seen this but obviously I have. It’s chewing the tyres too fast without an obvious fault underneath. We went underneath today 3 mechanics looked at it and then here is no obvious bend or anything. Everyone is guessing, it may be bent. I can go ahead and chnage the axle but i want to make sure that the culprit. 

Then do your own measurements with stringline and a laser level, make sure that you get the correct manufacturers figures first.

If as it seems you have a torsion beam rear axle then the camber will not change with load or suspension travel.

Does the axle look like it has been replaced? What about any of the road wheels, have they been replaced or are they damaged? - Check the spare if its an alloy wheel.

Check the bodywork on the rear wheel arches and above for signs of repair or overspray.

Have you checked the V5 for a salvage category marker like Category S?

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Then do your own measurements with stringline and a laser level, make sure that you get the correct manufacturers figures first.

If as it seems you have a torsion beam rear axle then the camber will not change with load or suspension travel.

Does the axle look like it has been replaced? What about any of the road wheels, have they been replaced or are they damaged? - Check the spare if its an alloy wheel.

Check the bodywork on the rear wheel arches and above for signs of repair or overspray.

Have you checked the V5 for a salvage category marker like Category S?

Checked all that, all ok. All original, alloys original, minor scratches as you would expect. No accident damage, everything looks intact underneath. Also HPI clear. Skoda never heard of this issue before. What a surprise! The garage who did the camber check yesterday just rang me and they spoke to skoda who will raise a ticket with their factory to see if there is a recall or they heard about. They will call me back on Tuesday apparently. In the meantime I am chewing my tyres which is very annoying to chew £300. 

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I am unhappy with the supposed manufacturers rear toe out figure. rear toe out on a vehicle makes it very very keen to swap ends.

I don't think I have the relevant erWin documents for this model.

The wonderfully helpful fella that is @varooom may have?

• Like 2