Dashcam

josall

I recently had my Yeti serviced by my local Skoda dealer, I was fortunate enough for them to pick up and return as part of the service,

I have a dashcam fitted which plugs into the lighter plug, upon return I later found the camera had been unplugged and left unplugged until I checked the next day.

There was no evidence of the journey from my home up to return.

Now I have not raised this with the dealer yet, is there a set protocol for garage employees who drive customer cars with dashcams or anything else which I should be aware of?

Also if my insurance includes the use of a dashcam and an accident occurs will there be repercussion's ?

45 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Hard-wire it in with a piggy back fuse connector, most use fuse 6 because its ignition controlled.

I did that with my Superb and they still disconnected it.

So I now use another dealer.

Get it hard wired in. 

You'll be amazed/gobsmacked/homicidally raging when you see what Skoda Technicians get up to in/with customers vehicles. 

Not that it does you any good when you present the evidence, as they just tell you to go elsewhere. 

Speaking from personal experience. 

• Sponsor
22 hours ago, josall said:

I recently had my Yeti serviced by my local Skoda dealer, I was fortunate enough for them to pick up and return as part of the service,

I have a dashcam fitted which plugs into the lighter plug, upon return I later found the camera had been unplugged and left unplugged until I checked the next day.

There was no evidence of the journey from my home up to return.

Now I have not raised this with the dealer yet, is there a set protocol for garage employees who drive customer cars with dashcams or anything else which I should be aware of?

Also if my insurance includes the use of a dashcam and an accident occurs will there be repercussion's ?

Hi,

With regards to you insurance it would depend on what terms they have imposed on you policy. Might be worth checking it with them.

Regards,

Dan.

A lot of garages will turn off or cover cameras it comes down to a few things. Permission to record someone working and going about business. A mechanics tools can run to thousands of pounds worth of kit, they don’t want everyone knowing where and how they are secured. Mot lanes are not allowed to be recorded. 

• Like 1

It’s much more difficult for me to fit a Dashcam to my new car, Subaru XV 2018, A’s the middle section of the screen has to be left clear. The reason being that the diver assist systems use a stereo pair of HD cameras. I can not get a feed from these.  However, reading the small print says that in the event of a crash the system does record the event prior and after, must be a loop, and can on the application of a court order be released.  So I assume that if some garage tech pranged the car the recording could be used.

interestingly, there was a BBC news item today saying that the police are reducing highway patrol cars etc., and will be very happy to take good quality Dashcam footage as evidence.